Boiling your bumper?

Flipside186

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I read that you can get a bumper to fit better if you boil it. My bumper fits decently, but I'd like it to be a bit tighter. Can someone explain the process that I should use to boil it? Also, is it risky at all? Thanks!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm a very busy man. I have no time to boil it. I microwaved mine and it fits like a glove.
:rolleyes:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
No, no ... not boiling it.

Wash it in hot water and put it in the dryer at highest heat.

Then iron.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
If you really need it tighter, get one of those rubber band "bumper" thingies.*

*In the old days they called them "rubber baby buggy bumper" <--- ( say 5 times fast )

1 Cor. 15:26

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Lay down alluminum foil to trap grease.
Put in oven for 18 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.

Wait, ****, thats a Tombstone Pizza. My bad.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
What I did was that I boiled it while it was on the iPhone, this way it would not shrink too much and mold perfectly to the I4, just make sure you remove the Invisible Shield if you have one on, or it will get lose from been on the water....

:rolleyes:

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Actually, nobody has mentioned the BEST way to resize your bumper, you STEAM it! I used my standard rice cooker with an inch of water or so and the steam rack so that the bumper doesn't actually touch the boiling water.

I am told this also leeches out some of the toxic chemicals and makes for a much safer bumper experience. I plan on steaming ALL my loose fitting bumpers this way! :apple:

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Put up a big pot of water and let it boil for 2 and a half minutes even though it could of went longer. Then ran it under cold water before touching it and used a hair dryer on high heat to dry it. It fits MUCH better than before.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Can't tell if some of these are serious or not. Some are about as obviously jokes as you can get though. lol

Maybe I'll try the microwave. I'm not a patient man.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
The boiling comments are serious. It definitely snugs up the bumper a bit and does not appear to harm it in any way. I tried it last night and it fits like a glove now. Much better than it was out of the box when I received it 2 days ago.

I would not microwave it. The bumper contains metal buttons.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Put up a big pot of water and let it boil for 2 and a half minutes even though it could of went longer. Then ran it under cold water before touching it and used a hair dryer on high heat to dry it. It fits MUCH better than before.
I was dead serious. Not like it matters now, just got my GeoMetric from Speck and it looks and feels great.

nd4speed

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Be sure to generously salt the water first. :)
Furthermore, remember to bring the water to a rolling boil before putting the bumper in, then cook for exactly than 9 minutes (any more or less and it won't be al dente), then strain and serve immediately.:D

Jashmid

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Furthermore, remember to bring the water to a rolling boil before putting the bumper in, then cook for exactly than 9 minutes (any more or less and it won't be al dente), then strain and serve immediately.:D
Nonsense. 8 minutes. Not 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.