Bold Username: Logged in User

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Based on some discussion, I added a feature for testing/evaluation in which your own username is bolded in the threadview.

Anyone love it or hate it?

arn

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's a bit bold for me. Don't really see a need for it either...I know I'm here and what I posted. :p :D

Could be an aid for those without avatars though.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's a bit bold for me. Don't really see a need for it either...I know I'm here and what I posted. :p :D

Could be an aid for those without avatars though.
ya, that's what I was thinking was that we are a little spoiled by having the avatars for so long

arn

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I like it, don't have to scroll all the way up anymore to see who the OP was.

Edit: Though you were talking about the "thread starter" under your name. I like both features.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I dig - thought I was losing it just a minute ago when it changed on my mac.

It's nice, because I've scrolled through posts with a LOT of replies, and lost my reply in the sea of responses. Helps to pick up where I left off.

Thumbs up for me.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
ya, that's what I was thinking was that we are a little spoiled by having the avatars for so long

arn
Can it be made an optional feature? I know it sort of bulges out at me right now, but that could be because I'm still getting used to it.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just saw it for the first time and thought I was special for a minute :D

Doesn't really serve a purpose to me, but it doesn't bother me either.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It is too bold. Make it reg size with the "thread starter" tag.

I don't like seeing it under my every post. I know who I am I hope. Just use it for starter threads.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't really care for it. I don't really see the advantages.
I have to agree, can't a person just look at the main page to see who the starter is. I don't like the bold under my name at all. Does it really matter who started the thread when they are going over 500 posts?

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I'm not to fond of the the bold username. I myself don't generally need to locate my own posts after I've posted but I think "Thread Starter" under the username is a nice touch.

A feature I've seen at other forums where all posts you've posted have their own colour. mods, admins or other special group (contributors for example) have their own colour.

here is an example of what I mean:

Picture-2.jpg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
All the multi colors would get bothersome on the eyes. I think the Demi-God tags work well enough.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
All the multi colors would get bothersome on the eyes. I think the Demi-God tags work well enough.
Possibly. Although you wouldn't see other users posts being coloured unless the staff and or contributors had their own colours. There could for example be only two colours; one for the poster which only the poster would see and one for the thread starter which everyone would see. The colours could be more subtle than my example.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Don't like them... at first sight, they don't communicate anything of substantial use to be made permanent and global features. I especially don't like the dark green type... Options in the CP panel, if possible.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I can't say I mind too much. Maybe it'll be useful for those without avatars, but I agree with Blue Velvet in that there should be an option to turn it off if we want.

Although I am loving the whole 'thread starter' idea. That can be incredibly useful.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
I also agree with Blue Velvet, there really should be an option to disable these new features in the User CP.

I also find that my username is too bold.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I wouldn't be bothered if it stayed or went but I do sort of prefer it without - or at least an option one can turn off or on in userCP

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Psssst! Let's announce that people who are the most intelligent, most popular, and best looking now have their names in bold. Everyone will think they are special! :)

Seriously, I vote no to the bold look.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I thought there'd been a rendering issue on my page...

Don't see a need, but then again I do have an avatar, could be useful to those without, an option to turn it on or off would be useful too.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I like it, I often end up scrolling and page-backing to find the OP. But so many people don't like it that it would be best to have it as an option.