Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released Bonjour for Windows. Bonjour is the new name for Apple's zero-config technology previously known as Rendezvous:

Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Bonjour uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically discover each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

Apple also provides and SDK for developers to incorporate Bonjour technology into their applications.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
wow...

this is actually kind if a big deal.. i'm assuming it works seamlessly with macs on the same network?

nice, apple makes another chess move.

technocoy

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this has actually been in the works for some time now, even back when it was called Rendezvous, its good that they finally released it, hopefully developers will be able to take advantage of it!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Yeah, this is awesome. I am having someone make me a PC out of an old NES, and I would love to network it with my G5 and not have to worry about all the technical mumbo-jumbo.

Releasing iChat on the PC would be cool too. Maybe then I will know someone who will have a webcam.

Fishes,
narco.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
iTunes on Windows already has this. My PC can see both my Macs iTunes Libraries and vice versa, all automatically using Rendevous without me configuring a thing on either platform. It works a lot more smoothly than trying to actually transfer files between them!

I expect its a trojan intended for future cross platform development for the PC market, like Quicktime is.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
This is good news

Very similar to Quicktime, and over-due in my opinion. It's going to be great: seeing peripheral packages with the Quicktime, Mac OS and now Bonjour logos. Zero config. Good Move. :)

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Nice move

I'd love to see this somehow bundeled into iTunes/Quicktime. It would be nice to have an expanded bonjor list in iChat. This has huge potential.

--Waluigi

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
doesn't itunes already use this to find other itunes users on the network?

this should be great for things like printer setups etc.

i just wish it was still called rendezvous! :rolleyes:

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
If this means ichat for windows i wonder if that means that windows people will be able to use msn messenger in ichat. That would personally expand my buddylist ten-fold. After all, msn messenger is a microsoft app.

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
Interesting

Need to re-read the release note but if this makes Windows computers network better then I am all for it. I will use it for Mac - Windows but presumably it will work well for Windows - Windows as well.

John

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Daveway said:
Why would Windows need this? :confused:

iTunes - iTunes uses Bonjour to find other running instances on different machines.

iChat wouldn't survive in the Windows world.. its far too restrictive. Only good thing it would be for is to communicate with Mac users via webcam or audio,since no one else can be arsed to.

nrd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2005
New Jersey
This technology is mainly for the automatic discovery of network services like printers and file server shares. It's not likely that the end user on Windows will be saying, "Wow! Bonjour!" It's going to be a behind-the-scenes feature that will help with seamless use of network services regardless of operating system or network protocol (as long as the Internet Protocol is still being used).

herbalizer

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2005
Kirkland, WA
I'd rather have ical, safari, addressbook and isync for windoze. Not that many people can take full advantage of isync unless they have 2 macs. Most pepple have to use windoze at work so it would be great to be able to sync your calander, bookmarks and contacts with your macs or even other windozes machines. The more apple apps on windoze, the better.

nado

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
Good stuff!

I was already planning to add Bonjour into a software I build at work... I didn't know it wasn't available on Windows though! Excellent timing! :)

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Interesting, indeed

I agree with the above that this is a trojan. I have a sneeky feeling that this has something to do with future video / networking tech that we don't know about yet.

I set up an airport express last night (upgrading from a linksys 802.11b router), and I was extremely impressed not only with the internet / data transfer speeds, but especially with the ease of getting the network printer to work. I was surprised to find that it used Bonjour, I thought that had to be a printer specific deal (I didn't know the airport products utilized the technology)

Anyway, I have a feeling this is bigger than it seems.

-alywa

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
nrd said:
This technology is mainly for the automatic discovery of network services like printers and file server shares. It's not likely that the end user on Windows will be saying, "Wow! Bonjour!" It's going to be a behind-the-scenes feature that will help with seamless use of network services regardless of operating system or network protocol (as long as the Internet Protocol is still being used).

This seems the most likely

Printer manufacturing for example have started to implement this so PCs should have this kind of feature available, Apple have decided to do this for them which could mean something big, who knows

tdewey

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Macrumors said:

Apple has released Bonjour for Windows. Bonjour is the new name for Apple's zero-config technology previously known as Rendezvous:

Apple also provides and SDK for developers to incorporate Bonjour technology into their applications.

Must. Change. Name! Now! Rendezvous much better, Bonjour is well--kinda dumb, IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.