Bootcamp usb not enough, blank 32gb

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mitch S, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Mitch S macrumors newbie

Mitch S

Hi all, quite irritated by the fact that I am trying to bootcamp my mac, I have bought a 32gb usb stick, and apparently it is not enough to create a install disk from by bootcamp manager? I was under the impression windows 10 only needed 8gb as an install disk.

Any ideas?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The latest versions of bootamp only put the drivers on the USB and create a special bootcamp partition to put the windows install on.

What Mac do you have, and version of OS X?

3. Mitch S thread starter macrumors newbie

Mitch S

Thanks for the reply.

Its a Macbook pro i5 8gb iris running sierra.

4. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have installed Bootcamp twice on my 2016 MacBook and it doesn't need a USB stick for anything. It puts both the drivers and Windows installer on a temporary partition on the internal.

The only problem I had was that one time it didn't remove the temporary partition afterwards and I had to do it with DU.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have the ability to put the bootcamp drivers on a USB stick and that's what I do.

6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info. I didn't notice that option when I did it. Not sure I would have chosen it.

While on the subject, my other Mac is a late 2013 rMBP, which needs a USB stick for everything. After the Bootcamp install, incl drivers, is all done you have a USB stick called "Wininstall". Can one reuse this to reinstall later, without (or with) using Bootcamp Assistant? Thanks