Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks for your help.

Hmmm... so there is no way to update the preview builds (on external drive) without doing a clean install?

I'm so out of practice using Windows... can someone please tell me what the best free method for backing up and migrating programs and files after doing a clean install?

Thanks again.

P.S. Also is there any way I can easily create a second partition on my external drive and install the new build on that rather than overwriting my current Windows Preview build in case something goes wrong - and if so, how do I go about it?

OSX won't let me create or modify the partitions on the Windows drive.

Last edited:

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Hmmm... so there is no way to update the preview builds (on external drive) without doing a clean install?
Sure there is. You can either upgrade using the ISO (download it to your Windows desktop and click on set-up) or using the built in upgrade mechanism https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html

I'm so out of practice using Windows... can someone please tell me what the best free method for backing up and migrating programs and files after doing a clean install?
You can't backup and migrate programs. You have to re-install them if you do a clean install. Your data you just save somewhere before doing a clean install and then copy it back. I'd recommend backing up your user data and doing upgrade though - the upgrades work well and are simpler and less effort.

P.S. Also is there any way I can easily create a second partition on my external drive and install the new build on that rather than overwriting my current Windows Preview build in case something goes wrong - and if so, how do I go about it?

OSX won't let me create or modify the partitions on the Windows drive.
You can shrink the partition in Windows disk management and create a new one. You can use built in tools like this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2672-partition-volume-shrink.html or using a third party tool like http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Depending on how your disk partition scheme is set-up you may need to adjust your GPT partition map to match mbr (if you are using hybrid member). Before you start download gpt fdisk from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/ and print out your current partition map in case something goes wrong. Most likely you'll not have to do anything with this information but it is very useful to have as it means you can reset your partitions if you need to.

Find your external disk number using diskutil on OSX
Code:
adams-mbp:~ adam$ [COLOR="Red"]diskutil list[/COLOR]
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                54.5 GB    disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows10               66.0 GB    disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *524.3 MB   disk1
   1:                  Apple_HFS Java 8 Update 40        524.2 MB   disk1s1
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *999.5 GB   disk2
   1:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk2s1
   2:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data VMS                     128.8 GB   disk2s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data FAT                     128.8 GB   disk2s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data EMPTY                   128.8 GB   disk2s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data EGO                     483.2 GB   disk2s6
   7:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite Backup         129.3 GB   disk2s7

Mine is /dev/disk2. Run gdisk and take option r then o then p then q and save the results.

Code:
adams-mbp:~ adam$ [COLOR="Red"]sudo gdisk /dev/disk2[/COLOR]
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.10

Warning: Devices opened with shared lock will not have their
partition table automatically reloaded!
Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help):[COLOR="red"] r[/COLOR]

Recovery/transformation command (? for help): [COLOR="red"]o[/COLOR]

Disk size is 244011446 sectors (930.8 GiB)
MBR disk identifier: 0xF5F2C204
MBR partitions:

Number  Boot  Start Sector   End Sector   Status      Code
   1                     1    244011445   primary     0xEE

Recovery/transformation command (? for help):[COLOR="red"] p[/COLOR]
Disk /dev/disk2: 244011446 sectors, 930.8 GiB
Logical sector size: 4096 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): B8753B2E-1362-40A0-BB0C-5BD47A548EF8
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 6, last usable sector is 244011440
Partitions will be aligned on 2-sector boundaries
Total free space is 33018 sectors (129.0 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1               6           32773   128.0 MiB   0C01  Microsoft reserved ...
   2           33024           84223   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI system partition
   3           84224        31541503   120.0 GiB   0700  VMS
   4        31541504        62998783   120.0 GiB   0700  FAT
   5        62998784        94456063   120.0 GiB   0700  EMPTY
   6        94456064       212420863   450.0 GiB   0700  EGO
   7       212420864       243978672   120.4 GiB   AF00  Yosemite Backup

Recovery/transformation command (? for help): [COLOR="red"]q[/COLOR]
adams-mbp:~ adam$

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Sure there is. You can either upgrade using the ISO (download it to your Windows desktop and click on set-up) or using the built in upgrade mechanism https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html

I may be wrong again if it's changed, but I don't think you can use either the ISO directly from Desktop or the built in upgrade to upgrade an external drive and have to use the new ISO with WintoUSB.

As I said, I now use Win 10 internally, but as I remember, Windows used to not allow any install or upgrade directly to an USB external drive.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I may be wrong again if it's changed, but I don't think you can use either the ISO directly from Desktop or the built in upgrade to upgrade an external drive and have to use the new ISO with WintoUSB.

As I said, I now use Win 10 internally, but as I remember, Windows used to not allow any install or upgrade directly to an USB external drive.

Windows does allow installation to external USB drives, but it requires a fair bit of tinkering.

WinToUSB is pretty half-baked and doesn't work across all Macs (because not all Macs fully comply with the UEFI 2.0 standard).

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Since this is the thread for it: what "tinkering"? :)

Here is the tinkering:
Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels/VBox, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

What you need:
install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)

Open elevated cmd.exe (run as admin)

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Take note of the disk you want to select
Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
Type clean
Type convert gpt (stop at this point if you're using a Thunderbolt drive)
Type create partition EFI size=100 (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type assign letter=S (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type create partition primary
Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI (use this one for UEFI installation)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f ALL (use this one for BIOS-CSM installation)

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot.

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers. Feel free to trash the VM once you're done too.

For best results, use USB 3/Thunderbolt. If you don't have USB 3, use Thunderbolt. If you have neither, stick back to the internal drive :)

Note: This method involves reformatting the entire external drive.

For Thunderbolt drives, just boot from the Windows USB installer and install directly onto the TB drive. Windows sees TB drives as an internal PCIe connection. However, you must format the TB drive as GPT first.

CAUTION: Windows can only be installed in UEFI flawlessly on Haswell Macs and later. Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs can only run Windows in BIOS-CSM flawlessly. Attempts to boot a UEFI installation of Windows on an Ivy Bridge or earlier Mac will result in driver issues.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
MacBook Air (mid-2013 and later)
iMac (late-2013 and later)
Retina MacBook Pro (late-2013 and later)
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)
Mac Mini (late-2014 and later)

Non-retina MBPs are not UEFI compatible, along with any Macs that aren't mentioned in the above list.

WinToUSB basically does the same thing, but doesn’t always work because WinToUSB doesn’t really take into account between BIOS-CSM and UEFI Macs; it only uses one method for all (which may result in boot failures and other problems). Besides, I'm more comfortable doing things myself since I know exactly what commands are executed.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Here is the tinkering:....Besides, I'm more comfortable doing things myself since I know exactly what commands are executed.

..... I was looking for something simpler; no thanks! :eek:

Think I'll keep using Windows on internal drive and OSX on the external SSD. :cool:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
..... I was looking for something simpler; no thanks! :eek:

Think I'll keep using Windows on internal drive and OSX on the external SSD. :cool:

It's actually easy, because I've already provided instructions to create and place folders/files in specific areas so that no tweaking of file directories are needed :)

But oh well, each to his own. I finalized my method after trial and error, ran them all again just to make sure, and it's working flawlessly for everyone in my workplace and myself.

PS: I highly suspect WinToUSB does almost the same thing, but is missing of some steps (or adds steps where it isn't needed), so it's finicky among some Macs due to not differentiating between UEFI and non-UEFI Macs.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f ALL (use this one for BIOS-CSM installation)
Small typo ;) Should be E as you don't have S drive defined.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Unable to update Windows build (External Drive)

Thanks for all your help. I hope you or someone can help me again. I was successfully running Windows 10 preview off an external drive using the WintoUsb installation method you told me about.

However, the current build is going to expire in 5 days and I have been unable to upgrade to the latest build. The Windows Update always gives an error message and won't even download anything. So I have downloaded the ISO file (build 10041) directly from the website.

I then booted up a seperate Windows PC and launched WintoUsb... however when adding the ISO file it says no bootable image can be found, so I can't proceed with the installation.

I can't use the inbuilt windows update and I also can't update from the desktop due to it being an external (wintousb) windows installation.... and now it also seems I can't do a clean install!

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Thanks for all your help. I hope you or someone can help me again. I was successfully running Windows 10 preview off an external drive using the WintoUsb installation method you told me about.

However, the current build is going to expire in 5 days and I have been unable to upgrade to the latest build. The Windows Update always gives an error message and won't even download anything. So I have downloaded the ISO file (build 10041) directly from the website.

I then booted up a seperate Windows PC and launched WintoUsb... however when adding the ISO file it says no bootable image can be found, so I can't proceed with the installation.

I can't use the inbuilt windows update and I also can't update from the desktop due to it being an external (wintousb) windows installation.... and now it also seems I can't do a clean install!

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Don't use WinToUSB.

Use this method (a bit windy but definitely works):

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels/VBox, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

What you need:

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Type clean
Type convert gpt (stop at this point if you're using a drive with a Thunderbolt port)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI (use this one for UEFI installation)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL (use this one for BIOS-CSM installation)

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot (or whatever else that comes up for a BIOS-CSM installation).

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers. Feel free to trash the VM once you're done too.

For best results, use USB 3/Thunderbolt. If you don't have USB 3, use Thunderbolt. If you have neither, stick back to the internal drive :)

Don’t use a USB stick.

For Thunderbolt drives, just boot from the Windows USB installer and install directly onto the TB drive. Windows sees TB drives as an internal PCIe connection. However, you must format the TB drive as GPT first.

CAUTION: Windows can only be installed in UEFI flawlessly on Haswell Macs and later. Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs can only run Windows in BIOS-CSM flawlessly. Attempts to boot a UEFI installation of Windows on an Ivy Bridge or earlier Mac will result in driver issues.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)

Non-retina MBPs are not UEFI compatible.

WinToUSB basically does the same thing, but doesn’t always work because WinToUSB doesn’t really take into account between BIOS-CSM and UEFI Macs; it only uses one method for all (which may result in boot failures and other problems).

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
error

Don't use WinToUSB.

Use this method (a bit windy but definitely works):

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I followed your steps for bios install as I have an older imac. However the following step gave me an error:

Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\

I got the following error message:

Error 87
the apply-image option is unknown

I'm working on a Windows 7 system - I'm wondering whether this may be the issue??

P.S. I also downloaded a newer version of WintoUsb and this time it recognised the ISO and started the installation. However at about 90% the virus scanner (kaspersky) killed WintoUSB and said it was a Trojan. I never had any issues in the past. I'm guessing it may be a false alarm but I'm erring on the safe side and avoiding. Hopefully I can get your manual method to work.

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I followed your steps for bios install as I have an older imac. However the following step gave me an error:

Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\

I got the following error message:

Error 87
the apply-image option is unknown

I'm working on a Windows 7 system - I'm wondering whether this may be the issue??

P.S. I also downloaded a newer version of WintoUsb and this time it recognised the ISO and started the installation. However at about 90% the virus scanner (kaspersky) killed WintoUSB and said it was a Trojan. I never had any issues in the past. I'm guessing it may be a false alarm but I'm erring on the safe side and avoiding. Hopefully I can get your manual method to work.

My method isn't applicable for Windows 7, sadly, because it lacks the dism.exe tool.

I've found WAIK to be buggy and unreliable.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Yes it is. You need to download WAIK from Microsoft and use imagex command (not dism) on Windows 7. See here for details http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3373-windows-10-setup-run-usb-flash-drive.html#post175689

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have followed the guide above and installed Windows 10 onto external drive using imagex, however when trying to boot from the drive it shows a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top left... nothing else happens.

I am now trying the WintoUSB method again, this time using a newer version of the program which is recognising the ISO file. I will update when it finishes installing.

Fingers crossed it will work this time!
One lesson in all this is how thankful I am for OSX!

Update: Got Wintousb method working - see post below.

Last edited:

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I have got the WintoUSB method to work and I now have Windows 10 Tech build 10041 bootable on external hard drive.

It certainly looks nicer and more refined, however it seems far slower and buggier than the original build. It randomly freezes up and crashes needing a hard restart. ctrl + Alt + delete does not work.

Also Project Spartan Browser is completely missing. When I open up Internet Explorer it takes me to a page talking about Project Spartan and to click on the globe icon on the task bar - the problem is there is no globe icon and the app does not exist anywhere on the system. Other things seem to be missing too - like cortana etc

All in all it has been one hell of a mess trying to get it to work and now that it has finally installed and booting.... it freezes and crashes. The build I was previously using was very smooth and fast.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
My method isn't applicable for Windows 7, sadly, because it lacks the dism.exe tool.

I've found WAIK to be buggy and unreliable.

Well, that is fascinating.

Your "method" (using a Microsoft copy command) works while another Microsoft "method" (using a Microsoft copy command) is buggy and unreliable.

Last edited by a moderator:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Well, that is fascinating.

Your "method" (using a Microsoft copy command) works while another Microsoft "method" (using a Microsoft copy command) is buggy and unreliable.

My answer is not an officially approved Microsoft method per se. Rather, it's a method that I've based off another method for another purpose, tested and refined it to suit this. It was originally meant for making a DIY Windows to Go boot USB, but I found that it could work for Boot Camp also.

I'm a software engineer at VMware Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
OK, didn't mean to be dismissive - there are many different methods to copy from one disk or image to another that is all.

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
thank you so much for your instructions.

I have followed them, but unfortunately the last bcd boot step didn't work for me.

My system: MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

I skipped the instructions saying "skip if installing in BIOS-CSM"

Here is the error I am getting:
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL
BFSVC Error: BcdOpenSystemStore failed with unexpected error code, Status = [c000015c]

C:\Windows\system32>E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f BIOS
Boot files successfully created.

C:\Windows\system32>E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f UEFI
BFSVC Error: BcdOpenSystemStore failed with unexpected error code, Status = [c000015c]

C:\Windows\system32>

I have at first tried to do the command as you described with /f ALL, but it failed. Therefore I tried the other options and it worked with BIOS, but had the same error when I tried to do /f UEFI.

In verbose this is what I am getting (Shortened output):
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL /v
BFSVC: ServiceBootFiles MuiOnly:n Res:y Fonts:y BootMgrOvw:nBootStatOvw:n DbgTransports:y CreateSetupObj:n
BFSVC: Using source OS version a000027920000
BFSVC: Copying boot files CopyBootManager(Yes) E:\Windows\boot\PCAT -> \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot
BFSVC: SetNamedSecurityInfo failed! Error code = 0x2
BFSVC: Unable to open file \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot\bootmgr for read because the file or path does not exist
BFSVC: Copying font files from E:\Windows\boot\Fonts to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot\Fonts...
BFSVC: Copying resource files from E:\Windows\boot\Resources to \\?

[...]

BFSVC: Servicing debugger files
BFSVC: Copying boot debugging files from E:\Windows\boot\..\system32 to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot (kd_*_*.dll)
BFSVC: Copying boot debugging files from E:\Windows\boot\..\system32 to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot (kdstub.dll)
BFSVC: Done servicing debugger files.
BFSVC: BfsInitializeBcdStore flags(0x0000021c) RetainElementData:n DelExistinObject:n
BFSVC: Opening template from \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\config\BCD-Template.
BFSVC: Opening store from \Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

I tried to reboot and W2GO did;t show up in the boot menu of the macbook. It did show up as a startup disk in OS X and when I selected it and rebooted I simply got a message that no OS was found.

I followed the instructions precisely except for:
  • After running the dism copy command, I extracted my bootcamp drivers onto E://Bootcamp Drivers
  • Then I rebooted without doing the bcd boot command... when the HDD didn't show up I realized I must have forgotten something
  • I booted back into OS X and my VM, which did some software updates
  • Then I tried running the bcdboot command again and got the errors above

Do you think I should just try again without messing up this time or could it be that the process isn't compatible with the 2012 retina, because it is somewhere in-between UEFI and BIOS-CSM?

I have tried wintousb before I tried your method.

When I used WinToUSB 2.2 Beta:
This version supports "MBR-based Windows To Go USB drive support booting both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers".
I was able to boot Windows, but when I installed bootcamp drivers the screen went black and rebooting didn't help. It was some kind of graphics driver problem related to the fact that UEFI is not implemented fully and Windows therefore doesn't understand I have 2 graphics cards or something like that

When I used WinToUSB 2.1:
I was not able to boot the system. I am not sure whether I received the "No OS found.." message or something else.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
thank you so much for your instructions.

I have followed them, but unfortunately the last bcd boot step didn't work for me.

My system: MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

I skipped the instructions saying "skip if installing in BIOS-CSM"

Here is the error I am getting:
Code:

C:\Windows\system32>E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f UEFI

I have at first tried to do the command as you described with /f ALL, but it failed. Therefore I tried the other options and it worked with BIOS, but had the same error when I tried to do /f UEFI.

In verbose this is what I am getting (Shortened output):
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL /v
BFSVC: ServiceBootFiles MuiOnly:n Res:y Fonts:y BootMgrOvw:nBootStatOvw:n DbgTransports:y CreateSetupObj:n
BFSVC: Using source OS version a000027920000
BFSVC: Copying boot files CopyBootManager(Yes) E:\Windows\boot\PCAT -> \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot
BFSVC: Unable to open file \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot\bootmgr for read because the file or path does not exist
BFSVC: Copying font files from E:\Windows\boot\Fonts to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Boot\Fonts...
BFSVC: Copying resource files from E:\Windows\boot\Resources to \\?

[...]

BFSVC: Servicing debugger files
BFSVC: Copying boot debugging files from E:\Windows\boot\..\system32 to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot (kd_*_*.dll)
BFSVC: Copying boot debugging files from E:\Windows\boot\..\system32 to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot (kdstub.dll)
BFSVC: Done servicing debugger files.
BFSVC: BfsInitializeBcdStore flags(0x0000021c) RetainElementData:n DelExistinObject:n
BFSVC: Opening template from \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\config\BCD-Template.
BFSVC: Opening store from \Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

I tried to reboot and W2GO did;t show up in the boot menu of the macbook. It did show up as a startup disk in OS X and when I selected it and rebooted I simply got a message that no OS was found.

I followed the instructions precisely except for:
  • After running the dism copy command, I extracted my bootcamp drivers onto E://Bootcamp Drivers
  • Then I rebooted without doing the bcd boot command... when the HDD didn't show up I realized I must have forgotten something
  • I booted back into OS X and my VM, which did some software updates
  • Then I tried running the bcdboot command again and got the errors above

Do you think I should just try again without messing up this time or could it be that the process isn't compatible with the 2012 retina, because it is somewhere in-between UEFI and BIOS-CSM?

I have tried wintousb before I tried your method.

When I used WinToUSB 2.2 Beta:
This version supports "MBR-based Windows To Go USB drive support booting both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers".
I was able to boot Windows, but when I installed bootcamp drivers the screen went black and rebooting didn't help. It was some kind of graphics driver problem related to the fact that UEFI is not implemented fully and Windows therefore doesn't understand I have 2 graphics cards or something like that

When I used WinToUSB 2.1:
I was not able to boot the system. I am not sure whether I received the "No OS found.." message or something else.

I have updated the steps.

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

Note: If you’re using a 32-bit ISO, your Windows environment used to do these commands have to be 32-bit. And if it’s a 64-bit ISO, the environment has to be 64-bit.

What you need:

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Type clean
Type convert gpt (do this and then stop at this point if you're using a drive with a Thunderbolt port. If installing in BIOS-CSM, type convert mbr and then stop at this point if you’re using a drive with a Thunderbolt port)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Back in cmd.exe:
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL (use this one for BIOS-CSM installation)

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot (or whatever else that comes up for a BIOS-CSM installation).

Don’t use a USB stick.

These steps do not work with Windows 7, as it lacks the dism.exe utility.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)

Long story short, only Macs with PCIe SSDs support UEFI. Non-retina MBPs, along with other Macs not listed above (basically all Ivy Bridge and older Macs), are not UEFI compatible.

WinToUSB basically does the same thing, but doesn’t always work because WinToUSB doesn’t really take into account between BIOS-CSM and UEFI Macs; it only uses one method for all (which may result in boot failures and other problems).

I run Windows off a single Transcend 960GB JetDrive and constantly use it between Macs without problems.

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
thanks for the super quick reply. I just tried it, but unfortunately it still didn't work.

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10130.0

Applying image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

As you can see bcdboot /f ALL, still didn't work, but /f BIOS was successful.

The disk once again showed up in my Startup Disk settings, but when I tried to reboot and pressed ALT it didn't show up.

When I set it as startup disk and restarted, I had a black screen for a while and then "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" appeared.

I followed your instructions to the dot, except that I used "create partition primary size=100000" to make a smaller partition.

I verified in Disk Utility that the partition scheme is indeed MBR.

Any other ideas? :/

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
thanks for the super quick reply. I just tried it, but unfortunately it still didn't work.

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10130.0

Applying image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

As you can see bcdboot /f ALL, still didn't work, but /f BIOS was successful.

The disk once again showed up in my Startup Disk settings, but when I tried to reboot and pressed ALT it didn't show up.

When I set it as startup disk and restarted, I had a black screen for a while and then "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" appeared.

I followed your instructions to the dot, except that I used "create partition primary size=100000" to make a smaller partition.

I verified in Disk Utility that the partition scheme is indeed MBR.

Any other ideas? :/
Your external drive is probably one of those which will only be detected when plugged in after pressing Option. I have this problem with one of my ASMT 2105-based enclosures in which if it was connected when I pressed Option, it wouldn't show up, so I would have to disconnect and reconnect for it to show up.

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah I thought this may be a problem, but even after plugging it in, it still didn't show up.

And when I used WinToUSB it showed up right away on boot too :(

Since I don't need windows often, I might just use WinToUSB again and just not install the graphics driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.