Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarikbatal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2016
Hi Guys,

Ive tried booting in safe mode, verbose mode, repairing the disk (first aid) within disk utility and nothing. It used to be that the computer would get to the end of the startup progress bar and then shut down. Now it's opening the terminal upon every start and nothing seems to be working to get the machine back in working order.

Note: The drive has not been backed up.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 6.16.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 6.16.06 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 6.15.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 6.15.38 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 6.15.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 6.15.54 PM.png
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 237

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Can you start in Recovery Mode by starting while holding down Command-R? If so, do so and run First Aid from Disk Utility while booted in recovery mode.

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
Does anyone know what is causing these various no-boot problems? It came about with maybe Yosemite but definitely with El Capitan. In the past I've had only one time where my machine wouldn't boot and I know that I caused it by messing about with System files. It was totally my fault and I learned to leave certain things alone. But that was it, one time, my fault.

Now we come to El Capitan.

In less than one year there have been three times on two different computers (Mac Pro + Macbook Pro) where El Capitan just randomly refused to boot. No problems, anything curious to note, or any indication something was wrong, just out of the blue it wouldn't boot up. THREE TIMES IN LESS THAN A YEAR. Recovery, Safe, Single-user, etc. didn't make any difference. Each time I had to delete the drive and start over.

To this day I have no idea what caused it on either machine. I've seen this problem posted all over the internet but I haven't seen anything made of it, i.e., no tech blogs, no forums, or anything other than the individual posts of people experiencing it, which is numerous.

Does anyone have any insight to this issue? What fundamental f*ck up keeps causing El Capitan to not boot up randomly. This is a big problem for me, I don't like knowing that at any time my machines may not boot up anymore.

Reactions: tarikbatal

tarikbatal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2016
Can you start in Recovery Mode by starting while holding down Command-R? If so, do so and run First Aid from Disk Utility while booted in recovery mode.
Hey John, thanks for that, within my original post I included a screenshot of exactly that so we're on the same page but unfortunately that did not work. Any other solutions? Will reinstalling OS X help?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
A clean install might work.

Before that, might want to run fsck from single user mode. At command line, enter: fsck -f

Might take a while, and you will be prompted for y/n answers to specific repair questions.

If that does not work, might be failing drive or really messed up file system.

Back up your personal folder/user account to external media, before doing clean install.

If that does not work, might be failing drive or drive cable.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Does anyone have any insight to this issue? What fundamental f*ck up keeps causing El Capitan to not boot up randomly. This is a big problem for me, I don't like knowing that at any time my machines may not boot up anymore.

1. Start your own thread
2. Run etrecheck
3. Post results
Any number of things can cause no-boot, from hardware through to driver issues. I had it last week with a wacom driver, not an EC issue at all but a problem driver.
[doublepost=1471223449][/doublepost]
Hi Guys,

Ive tried booting in safe mode, verbose mode, repairing the disk (first aid) within disk utility and nothing. It used to be that the computer would get to the end of the startup progress bar and then shut down. Now it's opening the terminal upon every start and nothing seems to be working to get the machine back in working order.

Note: The drive has not been backed up.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say you have a drive or drive cable problem. Looks hardware, you might be better posting this in the relevant model forum.

Not backing up is a bad idea.

Reactions: bcave098
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.