Bought a stolen iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phantoms, Nov 19, 2013.

1. phantoms macrumors member

Last week i bought a iphone. att, i checked the imei and all everything checked out fine. deal went smooth.

the issue is today i get a call from a random number claiming to be the owner of the phone. and they say they know everything that went down and the phone is involved in a bigger situation an aparent kidnapping. They say they know i am a victim also. they said they have contacted the police and know my information phone, where i live, facebook, where i work(bought the phone across the street from work). The info they told me they know is generic you can find my facebook from my phone number and my name and what part of the city i live in. They said the phone is under a month old it cost so much money. they said they know how much i paid and said if i cover the differece in the full price i could keep the phone. but they would have to run that by att.

i have been trying to get ahold of att for like 25 minutes they suck. what should i do? i want to make things right. but am i getting scammed for extra money?

very frustrating.

while typing this i got a hold of att they have no information about a stolen phone with my matching imei. and it sounded like the lady helping me was hinting at dont answer their calls any more.

called the police department and they have anything with my name. they cant give me info wise unless i know their full name to help them search. and they contact me dont do anything.

sound like a scam?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it sounds like the person who sold you the phone is scamming you. if they contact you again, tell them you'd like to meet at a police station to get the whole situation sorted out. scam or not, isn't that the right course of action?

3. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

4. phantoms thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick responses.

think i should even bother answering their calls anymore?

5. ptb42 macrumors 6502a

If you set up new service with AT&T, or put the phone on your existing number, how would the "previous owner" have known you possess his "stolen" phone, unless the "thief" gave that info to him? There are so many holes in his story, you should just block the number and ignore him.

I agree with the previous poster that it's possible the seller (or his buddy) is trying to scam you for more money. But, Did you announce you bought a used phone on your Facebook page? Is your Facebook page visible to anyone but your friends? Broadcasting details of your life on Facebook makes you a target for this kind of thing.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Block them. The most useful feature of iOS 7.

7. phantoms thread starter macrumors member

both the seller and the person who contacted me were female. the "owner" sounds older like 40s. seller was 20s
    nope i havent posted on facebook in months. all that can be seen on it is my picture and city, no job info anything (i deactivated it temporarly). they said they knew my job but im really just contracted out and spend time at tons of different places.

8. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

where are all those craigslist lovers now? lol

9. phantoms thread starter macrumors member

the "owner" also seemed to have a log of everything said in the text exchange between me and the seller.

10. 617aircav Suspended

I love craigslist. Sold 2 PS4's this week. No issues.

11. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yep definitely trying to scam you

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Means nothing. I sold 5 iPhones on eBay without issues too. Neither is more safe than the other.

13. phantoms thread starter macrumors member

got a text from them saying they are working a deal with att. in the mean time i registered the phone.

----------

i still love craigslist ive sold cars phones bought cars and phones and tons of stuff on there. first hiccup. but thanks for all teh advice so far everyone

14. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

The next time he calls, answer, say GFYS, hand up, block #, done!

:apple:

15. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I've sold and bought tons of iPhones on Craigslist without issues. I would just block his number and make it easy. How do you know that the guy who sold it wasn't in on it with this guy?!. Just block and enjoy the phone.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

eBay is physically safer.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Right here dude :)

19. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

right here.

Sincerely,

NotNaive

20. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

They're probably planning to report the phone as stolen for insurance claim if you don't give them more money. Enjoy it while you can.

21. 617aircav Suspended

Where did I mention anything being safe or not?

----------

I love both. Buy from one and sell on the other.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    Tell them if they call you again you will contact the police.
    You did nothing wrong on your end so if something is stolen you are not the thief or have anything to do with it.
    Tell them you contacted the police and if there's anything further they will inform you if they need any info or a statement.

23. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

What if seller sends you bomb though mail? ;)

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'd call your local police's office number or non-emergency number and file a police report. If the folks call you back let them know you did and ask for their case number or police contact for their situation. It sounds like a scam and not your problem. Let the po-po's work it out.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's beside the point. It's in the context of being safe from being screwed out of an iPhone or your money.

Don't be naive. You made your remark in response to "Where are the craigslist lovers?" as if you have no such issues.