Bought my first "Man Bag" today.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by citizenzen, Jan 17, 2014.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Call it a purse if you like.

I finally gave in. Mine is black, made of hemp, and looks like this ...

[​IMG]

Who are the men here who carry one?

What will it take to bring you into the fold?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Being a man I have no need for a purse.
    Wallet, iPhone and keys go in jeans pockets. What else does one need to carry?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congratulations on getting a murse.

There is no way, I would get one for myself. I don't carry enough on a daily basis. And when I do, I just use a backpack.

4. Shrink, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Oh, you incredibly butch, macho guys! Those bulgy pockets are just so sexy and masculine, especially with a business suit.:rolleyes:

;) :D

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Nice bag, can I get the name? Mine is falling apart, and I'm in the market for a new one.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You could store tampons, flowers and chocolate in it. :)

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

But aren't you separately worried about clever and witty mockery as in the the post above yours here?

I mean, these pejorative judgements about your masculinity must be just horrifying and ego destroying!

My goodness, man...think of the children!:eek:

:p :rolleyes:

8. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Here you go ... The Omni Shoulder Bag [hemp] by Artisan Gear.

----------

The tipping point was getting my first two pairs of progressive eyeglasses — one for working at the computer and one for everything else.

Carrying a ...
    • wallet
    • keys
    • cell phone
    • 2 pairs of eyeglasses
    • detachable car stereo face
    • tampons
    ... finally became more than my pockets and hands could manage,

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Clearly you are not a " manly man " and need a PURSE!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

/s

I really don't understand the taboo behind these purses, it's no different than carrying a laptop bag or a briefcase.

I don't carry around enough stuff to really need a big, iPhone, wallet, earbuds, keys. And when I do need to carry stuff for work, I just use a laptop bag or a briefcase.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

So many germs in a purse. It's worse than a toilet.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I get the tampons ( kidding ), But why do you carry around the faceplate for your car stereo?

12. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I carry it to and from my car. I don't leave it in the car over night.

The car stereo has a great feature ... a little "drawer" that swings open and lets you plug in and stow away an iPhone (or in my case an iPod Touch) for listening to music.

And that leads to another thing I carry on occasion ... my iPod Touch.

The bag also accommodates an iPad, though I don't think I'll carry mine around that much. Though if I need to, I now have the means to do it.

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Ah I see, do you live in not a great area? I've always just left mine in.

If I was carrying a iPad rather than two laptops when I work, I would probably consider a bag like this, would be less bulky

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Alas, the last vestiges of my masculinity probably disappeared the day the maître d' at a nice restaurant mistook me for a woman. I suppose it was because my hair was down, and I had my back to her. Or maybe it was the scent of my peony shampoo wafting her way.

This reminds me of the time, as a young child, I was teased for 'looking like a girl'. I was utterly flabbergasted by their insistence on something that was, to me, patently false. A, ahh, *ahem*, quick drop of the drawers shut them up quite fast. :cool:

----------

Cheers, thanks!

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

About ten years ago we had a junior executive from Italy spend about six weeks working at our company. He did indeed carry a small bag. When he asked me why American men didn't avail themselves of the convenience of carrying a purse, I explained it thusly:

Though made in jest, I still think there is a lot of truth in this statement. Us guys here in the midwest usually use our vehicles to store most of the miscellaneous items we might need during the day. (I keep a clean shirt, eyedrops, allergy pills, and a toothbrush and paste in my car. )

That said, I have started carrying my iPad in a Swissgear shoulder bag. Its black nylon and does its very best to not be a purse. But it still sorta looks like one.

16. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

It's just a precaution.

In another location, I've had a window smashed and car stereo stolen.

Once bitten, twice shy.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Ah I see.

Ive never had a window smashed out, tho on the stereos that I do have with detachable face plates, I just put them in the glovebox and lock it.

I don't bother even locking my TR6 ;) Unless someone wants a 1972 British Leyland AM radio ;)

18. iizmoo macrumors 6502

I had to start using one a lot last year after my iPad 2 got into a face fight with the parking lot at work, the iPad 2 sadly lost the fight and it it screen cracked good...

My murse ain't that bad, it's a hiking pack (with a belt strap for support if needed :D)

I have:
    2 of the bigger water bottles on the side
    13" MBA (and case)
    iPad Air (and case)
    2 iPhone 30 pins mobile chargers
    USB cable, headphones, business cards, pen, pencils, coins, stylus ( and Stylus charger). MBA power adapter, MagSafe2 converter, 12w charger, 30 pins -> VGA, miniDisplay -> DVI, Lightning -> VGA adapters. Emergency kit with bandaid and neosporin, floss :cool:

19. Illusion986 macrumors 6502

Illusion986

Murses are all over europe. I personally don't use one but if you got a need for one use it. Nothing wrong with that!

20. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

But ... but ... This is America.

What would John Wayne think?

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Depends how sweaty it is.

22. Illusion986 macrumors 6502

Illusion986

He would think you have a gun in it! USA might not be ready for murses yet...

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

In the USA I don't see them that much but I saw a tour bus with a lot of families get off at a stop and most of the men had man purses. Their wives had purses too but much more ornate but man purses were still very feminine. It was no big deal, different culture and all, but what was funny is that in the line to the large handicapped toilet stall, four men went in at once, did their business, and then let four more go in.

I guess where they are from, the etiquette is cram in as many people as possible, and then let next group go in. I totally forgot anybody was carrying man purses!:eek:

The only consolation was that there wasn't a long line to toilet stall since this large group flew through there in a way it could never get done had the stall been used one person at a time as is done by us spoiled Americans.

24. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Mine's big enough to carry most standard size pistol or revolvers, and 2 spare magazines :D Which I would if I didn't live in the state I live in...

25. localoid, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Back in the days when men were men (and the women were glad of it), all real American men carried a man bag and the obligatory power horn.

[​IMG]
    Davy Crockett, reputed "king of the wild frontier"