Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For me it's a backpack or nothing. No man bag or fanny pack for me. Even though masculinity varies widely these days, I still have certain things about my guy code that will never change.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Huh. Resurrected thread.

I'll use the opportunity to say that one year since my purchase, I use my bag every day.

Anybody dealing with multiple pockets filled with paraphernalia should consider it.

I love mine.

Renzatic

Suspended
For me it's a backpack or nothing. No man bag or fanny pack for me. Even though masculinity varies widely these days, I still have certain things about my guy code that will never change.

The fact we're bringing masculinity into it is what drives me up the wall on this issue. It's a bag. You put things in it instead of carrying them around in hand. There's nothing inherently masculine or feminine about it.

This shouldn't be about blurring or redefining gender roles. It should simply be about utility.

Cuz goddamn would I love to have a handy bag with which to put my stuff within.

----------

Anybody dealing with multiple pockets filled with paraphernalia should consider it.

Yeah, that's me. I fill my pockets with so many things throughout the day I can barely sit down in my car without having to reorganize everything.

I think about it wistfully. It's a bag, slung cross ways over my shoulder, that I can put my phone, my iPad, my notebook, my receipts, and whatever else I need, from screwdrivers, to voltage tester, to books, to what have you, always conveniently there.

How did this modern miracle of engineering and convenient portability becoming a "girly" thing?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The fact we're bringing masculinity into it is what drives me up the wall on this issue. It's a bag. You put things in it instead of carrying them around in hand. There's nothing inherently masculine or feminine about it.

This shouldn't be about blurring or redefining gender roles. It should simply be about utility.

Cuz goddamn would I love to have a handy bag with which to put my stuff within.

And Jeans are Jeans, but you wouldn't find me wearing tight ball hugging Jeans. It may be okay for some guys, but not me. I'm not judging others, I'm just stating that a man bag would come of as feminine for me.

Everyone has their line drawn, even you.

Renzatic

Suspended
And Jeans are Jeans, but you wouldn't find me wearing tight ball hugging Jeans. It may be okay for some guys, but not me. I'm not judging others, I'm just stating that a man bag would come of as feminine for me.

Everyone has their line drawn, even you.

What you're arguing comes down more to style than function. To get sorta presumptuous for a second, the only reason you think of them as feminine is because you see far more women with them than men.

What I'm saying is that there doesn't need to be a gender divide here because it's just a bag. The style of it will determine whether it's a womens bag or a mens, much the same way you have womens and mens jeans. But a bag is a bag, much the same way that jeans are jeans, and a bag is a handy thing to have.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
What you're arguing comes down more to style than function. To get sorta presumptuous for a second, the only reason you think of them as feminine is because you see far more women with them than men.

What I'm saying is that there doesn't need to be a gender divide here because it's just a bag. The style of it will determine whether it's a womens bag or a mens, much the same way you have womens and mens jeans. But a bag is a bag, much the same way that jeans are jeans, and a bag is a handy thing to have.

But a man bag is designed like a women's purse. Even you said "Call it a purse if you like". So of course I'm arguing style.

Renzatic

Suspended
But a man bag is designed like a women's purse. Even you said "Call it a purse if you like". So of course I'm arguing style.

That was Citizenzen. I'd call it a bag.

As far as design goes, it'd be the little things that separate a women's bag from a mans. Kinda like jeans. Like this...

manbag.jpg

I wouldn't feel too embarrassed carrying something like that around. It's almost like my old camera bag. If I started getting too self conscious, I'd...I dunno...probably glue some wolf skulls on it or something.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
That was Citizenzen. I'd call it a bag.

My bad. :cool:

As far as design goes, it'd be the little things that separate a women's bag from a mans. Kinda like jeans. Like this...

I wouldn't feel too embarrassed carrying something like that around. It's almost like my old camera bag. If I started getting too self conscious, I'd...I dunno...probably glue some wolf skulls on it or something.

That's more like a upscale messenger or notebook bag. What's shown on the OP is more like a man purse. What you posted is not bad for business casual attire, but for anything thing else I prefer a backpack.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's more like a upscale messenger or notebook bag. What's shown on the OP is more like a man purse. What you posted is not bad for business casual attire, but for anything thing else I prefer a backpack.

I just clicked on page 1 after all this time. Those are more like my camera bag, actually.

Personally, I don't like backpacks that much anymore. The bag in the picture above seems like it'd be more convenient for me. It's always off to my right, easy to get into. Backpacks are also kinda amorphous, and tend to shift your stuff around unless you load them down. The bag above has a more definite shape, and will help keep things more organized.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I had to start using one a lot last year after my iPad 2 got into a face fight with the parking lot at work, the iPad 2 sadly lost the fight and it it screen cracked good...

My murse ain't that bad, it's a hiking pack (with a belt strap for support if needed :D)

I have:
2 of the bigger water bottles on the side
13" MBA (and case)
iPad Air (and case)
2 iPhone 30 pins mobile chargers
USB cable, headphones, business cards, pen, pencils, coins, stylus ( and Stylus charger). MBA power adapter, MagSafe2 converter, 12w charger, 30 pins -> VGA, miniDisplay -> DVI, Lightning -> VGA adapters. Emergency kit with bandaid and neosporin, floss :cool:

Surely that far exceeds the specification for a man bag. That is just laptop bag. I carry one around unfortunately unless going to a secure area where it is easier to not bring anything electronic.

I always thought of man bags or murses as much smaller items, like those German wrist band bags etc. Or what the OP posted.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
This may become trendy some day. There was a time when men wearing an earring was highly suspect.

I also predict a time when male cosmetics become mainstream. There is just too much money in it for marketers to ignore.

Oh man. It still is suspect to wear an earring, it's like a Prince Albert gone wrong.

----------

You've got a point and I agree. To me it is s practicality or lack of it for a small bag. I only carry wallet, phone and car keys oh and my passport. No dildo or tampons or anything like that. I just don't see the need for me personally.

When carrying papers for work or a laptop you'd be talking about a much bigger bag that reasonably would not be classed as a man bag. M

I really can't see the point, but do understand the feminity vs function point. Why not have a pink one?

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I carry bags because of photography and being a general gear hound. And after 9/11 and train stalls and blackouts, I have added some bug-out elements, winding up like Jack Bauer. Flashlight, batteries, knife, personal care, AC splitter, medical aids, snacks, water, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.