Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
In the 80's, male group visits to the Men's Room meant one of two things...one of which was to powder one's nose.:p :)

Since you're talking about the 80's, "powder one's nose" could mean one of two things. Both of them literal.

The other, of course, was to group poop.

Grunt! How about those Bears?

OOF! SPORTS IS GOOD! Now hold my handbag while I get the seat sanitizer.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Give yourself a few years, and AARP will want you, then you can look forward to trading in your "Man Bag" for a depends bag a few years later. ;)

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I carry a briefcase from Saddleback. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/briefcasethin

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Excellent choice; I have not one, but two, the medium classic and the medium briefcase 'thin', both chestnut, and they are extremely sturdy, exceptionally well-made, and strangely elegant in appearance.

Hilarious thread, by the way. I must say I nearly howled (no lady like giggles) with laughter reading some of the posts. Seriously, guys, what planet do you think women inhabit? (I know, I know, many of you seem to think that we live on Venus........while Mars is home to some of you.....)

My briefcase carries the requirements of modern living: MBA (thank the gods I don't believe in that the 2013 model has such wonderful battery life - my 13" seems capable of twelve hours) without cords & adaptor as - mostly, I don't need them, unless I am away somewhere on a short trip of a few days; water bottles, fountain pen cartridges, notebooks for note-taking, business cards, actual books (things with pages and covers), sometimes, my fountain pen - other times, that is in the inside pocket of my jacket.

Other things to be found nestling in my briefcase include newspapers, (yes, I subscribe), occasionally some dark chocolate for when I have one of my countless double espressos, memos, my iPod, and its accompanying Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones; sometimes, my iPad, as well. An indeterminate time frame which lies between occasionally and often, I put my keys in the briefcase, other times they are in my jacket pocket. On the other hand, my mobile phone is always in my briefcase; apart from anything else, I manage not to answer it quite a lot of the time, a muffled sound is a lot easier to blank out, especially if I am drinking coffee. A small torch is also in my briefcase, as is a Swiss Army knife, in its little leather sheath.

My pants pocket takes my wallet - invariably small, and made of a soft comfortable flexible leather, which carries cards, coins, and banknotes, and my jacket pocket keys to the office, lip gel, comb, etc.

What an Army Officer of a certain venerable vintage once referred to as 'Ladies' Necessities' while staring at me (I was the only female in the room) as he gave us a briefing (torn between excruciating embarrassment and duty, duty, I am pleased to report, won through) tend to be in my jacket pocket, but also, yes, sometimes reside in my briefcase.

While I am touched by the concern some guys seem to have with where purses go when they are not clutched in a hand, (is this another one of those trans-Atlantic terms which is understood differently both sides of the Pond?) - in my youth, many women carried some version of a bag, usually called a handbag, which in turn, contained a purse if their owner (female) is busy powdering her nose. Guys, let me tell you that I know not a single female who ever put a purse on the floor while answering nature's call. And these days, a purse, or wallet, is usually in a jeans or some other pocket, not the floor.

Now, a phone (company phone) given to me did indeed once fall into the deep black depths - one of those wonderful 'squat' numbers you find in central Asia - when communing thus with nature. The thing had been in my pocket and had fallen out, and down, and down, and down, to meet a sad and premature end.

Needless to say, I made no attempt to retrieve it, but my colourful curses and fluent oaths, rich, vulgar, biological and, as it happened, loud, gave rise to a delighted outburst of surprised laughter from outside the cubicle.

Last edited:

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Why the two pair of glasses ? If you need a pair for seeing far and a pair for seeing near, why not get a pair with bifocals or progressive lens. I wear progressive lens and I highly recommend a pair (note - It can take up to a week to get used to them).

Prescription sun glasses and regular glasses? I have transitions, but they don't really get as dark as I'd like them too or they don't have as much coverage as I'd like sun glasses to have. Aviator size lenses are good for sunglasses, but I don't want to walk around with those on my face throughout the day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Prescription sun glasses and regular glasses? I have transitions, but they don't really get as dark as I'd like them too or they don't have as much coverage as I'd like sun glasses to have. Aviator size lenses are good for sunglasses, but I don't want to walk around with those on my face throughout the day.

I have two pairs of glasses - both prescription spectacles; one is a pair of prescription sun-glasses, (they are very dark), while the other is a vary-focal - my normal day to day pair. When I'm working abroad, I carry both all of the time; one in either my briefcase or the breast pocket of my jacket, in a soft leather case, and the other, invariably, on my nose.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010

This brings up a good point.

The glasses I have for "normal" wear are also transitions [darken when exposed to UV] while the "computer" glasses have no tinting at all. Since part of my job involves precise color adjustments, I could not have my glasses affect the color I see on the screen.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Call it a purse if you like.

I finally gave in. Mine is black, made of hemp, and looks like this ...

Who are the men here who carry one?

What will it take to bring you into the fold?

I only carry a tote like that when I'm bringing my iPad with me, out and about, but mine is smaller, more ipad sized. Another good excuse would be as a student, but then a backpack might be more appropriate. Otherwise, your just a girly-man, lol. :D ;)

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Being a man I have no need for a purse.
Wallet, iPhone and keys go in jeans pockets. What else does one need to carry?

I use cargo pants because I have items to carry.

Phone, keys, backup, camera phone thing, chap stick, comb, wallet, eye drops, and I hate stuff in my back pockets.

Cargo pants tend to do the job.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I'm glad society has finally progressed to the point that I can finally carry stuff around in a handy bag without being judged.

And yes, I would carry tampons with me in that bag. Tons of 'em.

Why?

Because nothing is more effective at stopping a nose bleed, and I get in a lot of bar fights during my monthly feats of strength test.

You mean you have them to toss at the other guys after you win the fight without being hit......yep, that has to be it!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nope! The Monthly Feats of Strength requires you to get punched in the face at least three times per bar fight. It helps build endurance and character.

The first rule of Monthly Feats of Strength is that you do _not_ talk about Monthly Feats of Strength ...

- DT, er, TD

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
This may become trendy some day. There was a time when men wearing an earring was highly suspect.

I also predict a time when male cosmetics become mainstream. There is just too much money in it for marketers to ignore.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I know, HUGE utility belt....because that would be SOOOOOO much better...right?

Guys do have items to carry as well, there are a limited number of options of how to get said stuff aroud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.