iPhone XS Max Bought the XS Max; already regret it

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
This morning I picked up my XS Max pre-order. This is my first time using the larger screen version of any device. The iPhone X was the largest screen I had ever had up until now.

I decided to go with the Max model as my fingers are large and it was trouble some to type as my I would constantly miss spell works because of my finger size.

I regret the Max. Its damn near impossible to type with one hand and everything seems zoomed in some apps. I have to be honest and say that I prefer the regular sized model over the Max.

I will be downgrading. Anyone else have similar complaints.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
That’s what I’m concerned about too. Back when the 6+ was released, I bought it, and after a year, I went to a 6. A year later I got the 7, which is what I’m using now. I went into the Verizon store and the screen on the XS Max was so beautiful that I jumped on it. It’ll be here tomorrow. I’ll use it for a week, and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll exchange it for an XS.
As far as everything seeming zoomed in, just give the developers time to update their apps. Everything will level out.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This morning I picked up my XS Max pre-order. This is my first time using the larger screen version of any device. The iPhone X was the largest screen I had ever had up until now.

I decided to go with the Max model as my fingers are large and it was trouble some to type as my I would constantly miss spell works because of my finger size.

I regret the Max. Its damn near impossible to type with one hand and everything seems zoomed in some apps. I have to be honest and say that I prefer the regular sized model over the Max.

You did not think it might be difficult to type on with one hand before you bought it?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
One reason i'm not so quick to jump and upgrade and passed this year. One of the things that make the phones great is the apps. Those take while to update. Google Authenticator for example just got iPhone X support a week or so ago. By the time apps are updated to support your device. Depending on the extent of the required changes. your device may no longer be current.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Give yourself a week to adjust to the size. If you still don’t like the Max after a week just return it.

I was a bit overwhelmed with the Max (coming from the X) when I first got it but now I love it and wouldn’t want to go back to a smaller screen size.

Ill give it a week. I guess its just weird to get use to. I also got the gold thinking it would be closer to the gold of the 7 but its more of a rose gold. Im okay with it though.

Reactions: justinf77

kupkakez

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
No regrets. Yes I have to use it 2 handed, yes it's cumbersome and doesn't fit great in my pocket. But! I love the screen size and to me that outweighs the negatives. I did get a cellular watch this time as I can see myself using that so I'm not having to pull out my phone all the time. I think that will help.

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011

Yes, multiple people have similar complaints as noted in the 10 threads on the forums about this topic already.

blacksurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Ill give it a week. I guess its just weird to get use to. I also got the gold thinking it would be closer to the gold of the 7 but its more of a rose gold. Im okay with it though.
I went for the XS from the 8+ and I'm liking the size.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Give it a few days before making any decisions. I used the plus size phones for a long time before the X, and now it is a bit of a culture shock to be back using a large phone like the Max.

ivantwilliams

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
At least there is the 14 day return option.

I will say this, give it a few days and if you then still feel the same, return it. But, be true and give it a good go, don’t use any other smaller devices in the interim.

Reactions: AppleWes

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

That’s what I like about the 14 day return policy. Give it a few days just to be sure and return for an XS. Just be careful you don’t run out of days. The day you got it is day one, next day is day two.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
You think a 6.5 inch device would be easy to type on one hand, really?

and apps will be bigger at the moment until developers update their apps.

You certainly shouldn't return it after 1 day. Leave it at least a week to adjust.
I have fun reach on the device and could with ease on the X. Its just the size thats throwing me off. Im going to give it a week and then return if i do not like it.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I used the plus sized phones for the 6, 6S and 7. Went to the X when it came out and there was a definite adjustment going to the smaller size. I bought a XSM and today is day 1 with it and I’m definitely having to adjust going back to the larger size.

Give it a few days. If you are still not liking it after that then return it. No sense in making a snap decision though with the 2 week return window.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

See that thing on your other arm, it’s called your other hand. Place that other hand on your phone. Problem solved!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Honestly, I think you either like the larger size or you don’t. I love the larger phones and have since the 6 Plus. I wouldn’t want to go back to smaller. That said, everyone else in my family has the smaller Apple phones and none have any interest in the larger phones.

Last edited:

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016

It’s not ‘downgrading’ to get the XS; the Max isn’t a flagship, it’s just a larger sized phone.

IMHO, the Max and all phones of its ilk are ridiculously proportioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.