Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Your teeth look perfect. You should be really happy with the result.

Agreed, but keep wearing the retainer if you want them to stay that way! I didn't wear mine for long enough, and one tooth rotated back to the angle it was at before the braces, although it's much more in line now.

Edit: Oh hay, there's more than one page! And the thread is almost a year old! :rolleyes:

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I had braces for around 10-11 months, I don't quite remember anymore. The orthodontist told me that I would only need to wear retainers for 2 years, which was not how it turned out. I gave up wearing retainers after 2 1/2 years, as one of my teeth have moved and the orthodontist has moved the 2 years to 5-6 years or longer. Most of my teeth remained ok, one teeth in my bottom row moved and my teeth in my top row moved a tiny bit, nothing I can't deal with.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
When I'm awake I've been trying to get my jaws and whatnot aligned more correct than they are, so that I can forgo at least a little time when I get a retainer. The dentist's said my teeth are fine but my jaws are all out of wack.

spector

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Portland, Oregon
wooohoooo i am so glad i am down to just wearing my retainers at night time now:D:D:D:D:D:D

have been wearing them and doing a good job at it... as everytime i think about taking them out or not wearing them i think about the $5000.00 that i paid for them. So that doesnt take me very long to change my mind.

But after all of the pain of the braces and the retainers i would not change a thing and am 100% happy with my teeth now. If i could change a thing i would have got them about 20 years ago, but at that time my parents were so poor that we could not afford them.

But if you think that you are to old to get braces YOU ARE NOT!!!!

with the braces and everything from my dentist i have around $17000.00 worth of work in my mouth... (good thing for insurance on part of it)...

now i find myself smiling showing off my teeth in every picture that is taken of me. I am 38 years old now and before i got my braces put on i never showed my teeth in a picture EVER, so getting my braces was a huge moral booster and one of the best things that i ever did.

peace out my friends
Scott

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Check my previous post - I had braces on for about five years,and got them off at 18. Anyhoo..

I knew this girl, back in the day when "Tin Grins were In" and everyone and his brother (or sister) had to have braces, got them on for like six months. Then she walked around posing (flashing her Drs. Teeth) and complaining about how much they hurt! It was kind of like: Gurl, you ain't had nothin' :rolleyes:

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
To bump up an old thread, I am getting braces put on tomorrow. I am quite nervous about it and how I will look at age 23 with them

sansa11

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2008
I have braces today and I got the top ones on last September. The bottom ones I had to get on last month, only after I had 2 of my baby teeth pulled which didn't have permanent teeth under and were supposed to have fallen out years ago. It's been 9 months since the top ones were put on and, supposedly, I only have nine more months to go. :D

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
To bump up an old thread, I am getting braces put on tomorrow. I am quite nervous about it and how I will look at age 23 with them

23 isn't too old. I remember one of my elementary school teacher, who was at least 35, had braces on. However, have you considered Invisalign?

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007

They can actually be cute on the right person I think, if that's the answer you want. If people make fun of you having train tracks, just tell you get better wifi reception..

I hated having them on, they were uncomfortable and at times very painful, but I don't regret them at all. I've got beautiful teeth - you will too.

I wouldn't worry about it. Post a shot when you have them on!

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I wouldn't worry about it. Post a shot when you have them on!

Not the best photo, but

3126346847_9891e7a2e4.jpg

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I got my braces at the beginning of 7th grade and got them off before the start of highschool. They actually weren't that bad (besides the whole kissing thing, ha!) Good thing They were only on for 2 years and off before freshman year. I do still have a small wire retainer thing behind my front bottom teeth but it's impossible to notice it, so no big deal.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Clear braces! Cool :) I don't think they were option when I had them. Can you still change the colour of the little rubber things that hold the wire on?

Your teeth look similar to mine, except I had the front right one about an eighth-inch lower than his fellows and ready to fall right out. Don't worry about the pic, it looks fine.

You'll be so glad to have nice looking teeth!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I'm about to have some braces fitted (I'm 28 :eek: :D ) Its my choice though. I have great teef. Never had a filling or anything and they are all well aligned.. well were.

When I was about 14 I had braces to pull my teeth back as they were getting a bit goofy. Everything worked well and I had brilliant looking teeth. Recently however one of my bottom teeth has been squeezed out and is affecting my upper teeth as well as causing me constant pain as my bottom teeth now have more space to move around in.

So before all hell breaks loose I have decided to spend a fortune I don't have on getting it fixed.

I will be fitted in January and should have them for 9 months.
:)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Thanks guys, yes I was very tired when that picture was taken! I am on holidays at the moment and need to catch up on sleep from a long semester. In answer to melrose, yes you can change the colour that holds the wire on. I had pink put on which seems to look more clear than anything.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm getting a retainer this January, day before my birthday

My bite isn't to great, but it doesn't bother me, but the retainer is to close up a gab between my 2 top front teeth. I've had it for a while, and I've lived with it, but I want it fixed, so I figured I'd go for it, deal with a metal retainer,and then have a good smile for a while

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
viccles, you can hardly see them at all. don't worry!

i wish they had offered the clear ones when i had braces. i've had mine off for..10 years now i want to say? mine have shifted back, in part due to a large (marble-sized!) cyst above two of my teeth in the front. the cyst actually forced a gap between two teeth that wasn't there before. anyway i had all sorts of weird stuff with my braces -- i had these metal things on the top (back) and bottom (front) that attached to shift my jaw. i broke it accidentally and they just removed them instead of fixing them. a dentist recently told me that the only way to correct my bite is jaw surgery. i may do it one day when i have better insurance, but for now i'll deal with it.

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I had my braces on for 2 and a half years- got them on when I was 11, got them off last year when I was 13 and a half. The only problem with clear braces, from my experience, is that they get stained a lot easier, which made my teeth look stained. I too wear retainers at night and, although they are a P.I.T.A to clean, they maintain your straight teeth. You don't want to go through the whole process of getting braces again, don't you?

xnicole

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
yeah, like i said before, i've had them for now about 6 and a half years. hopefully i get them off in the next three months. i'm 14 and i got them on when i was 7 1/2

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I had braces for 2 1/2 years off, looked great then I got them back on for a stupid reason ( I thought they looked fine) but they went on for another 6 months and now they are off :) but they dont look as good.

ChrisN

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Got mine off about 4 months ago, had them for almost five agonizing years. They were torture, and didn't even do the best work because of the amount my bottom jaw is out of alignment compared to my upper. So everything is just a little off yet straight. I could get them perfect, but breaking my jaw and surgery to get it in the right place is not quite worth it to me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.