Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Haven’t even had my Apple Watch 24 hours and it’s already dented and has scuffs and marks on the screen. I didn’t even know if I wanted to keep it, I was using my 2 weeks return window to see if it was worth it for me. I wasn’t doing anything strenuous when it fell off either, I was just working and it fell off randomly. I’m extremely upset now and worried that I can’t return a product that might not even have enough value to me. What can I do? What are my options? It fell off again later again too but I caught it. It seems like a defect in my watch band or something. Please give me advice of what I can do. I’m really upset.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I’m sorry this happened to you! I’ve never had an Apple Watch fall off. What band were you using? You might contact apple support but I’m not sure what they’ll do for cosmetic damage. Hope they can help

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Haven’t even had my Apple Watch 24 hours and it’s already dented and has scuffs and marks on the screen. I didn’t even know if I wanted to keep it, I was using my 2 weeks return window to see if it was worth it for me. I wasn’t doing anything strenuous when it fell off either, I was just working and it fell off randomly. I’m extremely upset now and worried that I can’t return a product that might not even have enough value to me. What can I do? What are my options? It fell off again later again too but I caught it. It seems like a defect in my watch band or something. Please give me advice of what I can do. I’m really upset.

if it fell due to the defect, can't hurt to check with apple store to see what they can do. As always can't hurt to ask at the least.

trollied

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2009
Sheffield, UK
I've had an Apple Watch since they launched, and I've never had this happen - using many different types of strap, both first-party and third-party. Not even close.

What sort of band are you using?

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
It shouldn't fall off. Could be band defect but unlikely. Maybe you are not putting on correctly? In any case not much you can do but plead to apple or if you bought with credit card, some have a 90 day protection.

Reactions: caligurl

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I’m sorry this happened to you! I’ve never had an Apple Watch fall off. What band were you using? You might contact apple support but I’m not sure what they’ll do for cosmetic damage. Hope they can help

First question is, was it a third party band?

I've had an Apple Watch since they launched, and I've never had this happen - using many different types of strap, both first-party and third-party. Not even close.

What sort of band are you using?

I’m using the black sport band that came with the watch

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
The black sport band? We're you wearing it correctly? with the excess tucked UNDER?

I've had an apple watch since they launched and only had sport bands and my watch has never fallen off?????!!!!!!!

Yes, excess was tucked under.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
so can you explain what, exactly, happened that it fell off?

did it come untucked, then "unclipped" from the little stainless piece? or did it come apart at the watch on one side or the other? or did it the band break?

I re-read the original post... and can't wrap my head around the "fell off randomly"

do you wear it tight enough? (still can't see it falling off just standing or sitting there even if it's loose)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Can you explain how it falls off? Does the band get unlatched? I have a Nike band, but it's pretty much the same as the regular sports band. The way it works seems designed to not be able to fall off, unless you catch it on something. I guess if I were on the last hole, there may not be enough to slip through under the other end and something could happen.

Or did it slip out where the band connects to the watch?

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
I'm still confused. What _exactly_ happened? Did the band unsnap? Did the lugs come out of the watch itself? Is the metal 'nub' snug in it's hole?

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Here is the damage done:

raPC8C2.jpg

Small scuff on bottom left corner

w2Lu8pw.jpg

nUqxBQD.jpg

Small dents/dots on screen
[doublepost=1538680687][/doublepost]
Can you explain how it falls off? Does the band get unlatched? I have a Nike band, but it's pretty much the same as the regular sports band. The way it works seems designed to not be able to fall off, unless you catch it on something. I guess if I were on the last hole, there may not be enough to slip through under the other end and something could happen.

Or did it slip out where the band connects to the watch?

I'm still confused. What _exactly_ happened? Did the band unsnap? Did the lugs come out of the watch itself? Is the metal 'nub' snug in it's hole?

It literally just fell off/Came unsnapped. You know how you snap it in the holes? It just undid itself. The first time happened while I was walking. The second time, when I caught it, it happened when I was standing talking to a friend and had my hand gripping my backpack sling/thing you put over your shoulder.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I am a pretty sloppy person. I have always used iphones with Apple case and a screen protector. I have had an apple watch since series 0. I always bought a stainless steel watch. This time I bought an Aluminum watch. Seeing the big dent in your watch I am thinking I should have stuck to an SS watch in case it falls. I never use Apple's plastic bands. I use their Milanese band. Hard for the watch to slip.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It literally just fell off/Came unsnapped. You know how you snap it in the holes? It just undid itself. The first time happened while I was walking. The second time, when I caught it, it happened when I was standing talking to a friend and had my hand gripping my backpack sling/thing you put over your shoulder.
That sucks. I'm playing around with my AW and it takes considerable force to unlatch the band from the little pin. Perhaps your band is defective (or at least the hole that you use) and requires too little force to unlatch. I literally have to tug it to get it to unlatch.

NYhoosier

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Here is the damage done:

raPC8C2.jpg

Small scuff on bottom left corner

w2Lu8pw.jpg

nUqxBQD.jpg

The short band is on backwards and that would cause it to come undone. Sorry for your misfortune.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Dude.... the side with the knob is UPSIDE DOWN

You should not see any writing on the outward side of the band. the little know should face UP.

you lay the holey side OVER the other band and press DOWN on the knobby thing, then slide the excess through the hole and under the band (next to your skin)

i'd take a pic, but i'm wearing a nylon band today.....

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Here is the damage done:

nUqxBQD.jpg

I think I see the issue here.

The wording on the band should be on the inside, not the outside. You had it upside down.
That could have been why it didn't function properly.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I’ve seen where if you don’t push the strap all the way down onto the nub, it can pop off.

Or it could be a manufacturing defect in the strap whereby the holes were slightly too big, or the nub too small, or the strap too thick and unable to sit down far enough on the nub.

But those anomalies would be pretty rare and if a mold that makes the strap were defective we would be seeing more complaints like this one.

I would take it to an Apple store and ask them to compare it to another strap. If it’s even a little bit easier to pop your strap open then theirs, you have a case and they will very likely offer you a replacement or a refund.

You need to read the other replies.

Reactions: caligurl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.