Carrier Breaking away from AT&T and AT&T limited model iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billp5180, Sep 25, 2016.

1. billp5180 macrumors newbie

I want to get an iPhone 7 Plus through the Upgrade program. I want the Verizon model with CDMA because I plan to doing extended international travel. Apple tells me that by "Apple policy" I cannot signup for an iPhone 7 without having an existing account with one of the providers (except T-Mobile). I have an iPhone 6 Plus with AT&T as my provider. If I upgrade using my AT&T account, I am told I have to get the CDMA illiterate AT&T iPhone7 model. (They also give you the AT&T model if you sign up for T-mobil.) Any suggestions on getting around this policy without changing phone numbers, disrupting cell service, or having to have two cell phones/accounts for a transition period?

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Where are you traveling that will use cdma networks and not gsm?

3. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Ask this guy, he's done it a few times.

Me, I switched networks.

4. billp5180 thread starter macrumors newbie

Europe. I understand that CDMA is prevalent there. I just want the flexibility.

5. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I used my t-mobile phone in Germany. Had LTE speed.

6. billp5180 thread starter macrumors newbie

All of the 6s models are CDMA capable but not the 7s

7. bidwalj macrumors 65816

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

CDMA is almost non-existent in Europe, they developed GSM. Your best bet is to just buy verizon model outright, or you have to take your chance convincing a salesperson to do it. A few people have said they have done it, quite a few haven't been able too.

9. billp5180 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again 6s; all 6s models are CDMA and GSM capable but they are separate in the 7s.

10. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

There is exactly zero CDMA in Europe
    It's regulated GSM continent wide

11. ray737 macrumors 6502

I am in Europe every month and I can tell you no one uses CDMA here. I have an iPhone 6 Plus and ordered my iPhone 7 plus with T-Mobile.

12. phatcow macrumors newbie

13. wepiii macrumors 6502a

I just went to an apple store and picked up a Sprint 7+ and paid for it outright. Popped in my att sim and was good to go. I think the only option for what you want it to buy it outright.

14. kjotwani macrumors regular

Exact situation I was in. I spoke to the Apple Store manager and he after talking to his higher ups gave a solution.
    My current GSM phone has gotten an extended return policy till the sim free versions come and then I will return my GSM model, get the full amount back and start a new iUP loan with sim free version.
    Have an email from the manager stating this

15. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

That was my solution this year too. Bye bye, AT&T!

16. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

LOL... uh... there is NO CDMA in Europe... thanks to the European Union. All of the people whining about the GSM model not having CDMA are entitled tools who cannot stand their phone being "inferior"... the types who traded 10 iPhone 6S phones in to get a TSMC chip.

You DO NOT need CDMA unless you are going to use Verizon or Sprint. For roaming... it would be nice to have it in Central America and Korea. Other than that... you don't need it. Both phones support the same LTE, HSPA and GSM Bands... PERIOD!

17. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

CDMA is about dead. I swear some people just look at spec sheets and want the MOSTEST!!

18. pixel_junkie macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

Correct

19. magbarn macrumors 68000

I'm caught in the same situation as the OP as I would like to get the 'universal' iPhone model for my wife instead of the gimped ATT model. I'm thinking that the CDMA model will have the best resale value too as it's can be used virtually anywhere while the GSM model is a bit limited.

20. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

No Europe country uses CDMA. They all are GSM.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have used an ATT iPhone all over the EU and have not had any problem.

Worked great everywhere.

22. Onlytemporary macrumors newbie

Did this workout for you? The sim free version is available now but not through iUP.

23. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

buy sim free all iPhone works with all carriers

24. kjotwani macrumors regular

Yup. Placed a order for the Sim Free phones I wanted at the store. Shows 2-3 weeks shipping at my store. Once in, will start the process.
    The manager sent the email to entire store staff so I show them the email, they remember it and help with the process. (It's a hassle though still)