BREAKING: Favre has asked for his release

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by macDonalds, Jul 11, 2008.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Ugh... :eek:

I hope I'm wrong, but this has "another all-time great going out in a laughable style" written all over it. This is pathetic... from me almost choking up to see such a fantastic quarterback say goodbye through tears to going to "some team" - particularly after playing only for the Packers over his entire career - to play another year or two... gag.

3. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

I've lost a lot of respect for the guy over the last few seasons. He has dragged this retirement deal on for too long.

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm a huge Buccaneers fan and I hated when the divisions were changed and we no longer got to play the Packers twice a year. I love Farve, think he was a fantastic quarterback and cheered for him (so long as he wasn't playing us). This is the first time I've really begun to lose respect for him... well that and when he laid down for Strahan for the bogus NFL sack record.

5. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Hmm... 3G iPhone, 2.0 release and Eddie Murphy's Meet Dave opening today.
    Anyone see the coincidence for Brett here or is it just me? ;)

Wait, I hear something..... the muffled sounds of cheeseheads crying in their beer. :eek:

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

For the record, he didn't just play for the Packers. He had 4 attempts in 2 games for the Falcons his first year. :)

7. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Oh great! If he came here we'd have to put up a border fence. It will be the likes of Israel & Palestine. (I apologize ahead if that offends anyone but it's the closest thing I could think of)

8. Keebler macrumors 68030

i don't get your frustration mac? i'm not a packers fan, but if the guy wants to keep playing...so be it. he had a great year last season and he's still a good QB. The passion of the game obviously hasn't left him so who cares?

If anything, I respect him asking for his release b/c it's not fair to the Packers for him to wait so long as they have moved in another direction (Aaron Rodgers). Let them progress and let him find another team.

It's easy for us arm chair players to sit back and criticize, but think...football is THEIR LIFE. It's hard to imagine it unless you've done it, but think of something you've done for a long, long time (ie. like maybe using mac and apple products) - what is suddenly you had to stop completely? How would that make you feel? I know it would drive me nuts.

I know of some local NHL'ers and some of them won't even have a 'retirement' party b/c they are still hoping to play. These guys live their sports 365 days a year, even with their days off.

I can't imagine it's easy at all to walk away (unless you've suffered a career ending injury).

I wish him the best of luck. The vikings would be a good team - they're up and coming with their running back being so good, it will take pressure off Favre.

But in the end, it's just football :)

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Sad to see Favre go...I'm not a Packer fan...I'm a rabid Bears fan but I have respect for him. Hopefully he avoids the NFC north as far as new teams go.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

11. 150hp macrumors regular

Great. Just what I need. More Farve talk up here.

Just stay retired already...

12. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Great post. Even though he might suck and go out in flames like when Jordan went to the Wizards or Karl Malone went to the Lakers, if he wants to play then let him play.

jon

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ESPN

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think he should just stay retired. Enjoy the accolades of a great career.

16. macfan881 macrumors 68020

the news today is a Huge Slap in the face to brett farve from the packers im not a packers fan but i just felt this totally insulting to a guy whos done so much i mean whats the harm of leting the guy go he's baiscly carryed Greenbay for 10 + years packers owe him alot and to say you can be a back up to a unproven nobody i hope this turns around and kicks green bay in the rear.

17. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

They didn't say that he would be the backup.. In the article you linked Thompson is quoted as saying:

"It's not accurate," Thompson said of the AP report that Favre would come back as a backup. "We don't know what role that would be. He can come back as an active member of the Green Bay Packers."

Theres a lot of incorrect information circulating this whole drama.. The Packers don't owe Favre anything- they've provided him with a life far beyond anyones wildest dreams.. They stuck with him thru those absolutely HORRIBLE seasons..

I'm a Favre fan, but he's NOT blameless in this.. The Packers can't just cut him- that's crazy.. They'll either let him play, or trade him somewhere they deem safe.. Chicago, or Minnesota is definitely NOT an option for them..

18. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Jordan didn't suck with the Wizards.. They didn't win- but it wasn't because of him as a player.. It could've been because of him as personnel guy, but that's another story.. As a player he was still better than the rest of the NBA most nights.. He was just a 39 year old guy diving for loose balls with a bunch of young punks who didn't have the same passion he did..

19. janstett macrumors 65816

* Favre was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in 1991 and traded to Green Bay in 1992.

And I was so happy to see the last pass of his career complete to Cory Webster.

[​IMG]

I have been a Favre fan (when not playing the Giants) and it's just time for him to go and wait for the call from Canton. He has jerked the Packers around the last couple of years with the will-he-or-won't-he nonsense and that made me lose a little respect. Now retiring and un-retiring adds some taint to the picture.

Come on Brett, this is like Ronnie Lott to the Jets or Jerry Rice with the Raiders. Just sit home and join Michael Strahan on the Fox Pregame Show.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What a way to come back. I think he should just stay put and enjoy watching the game..... ugh

21. jomams macrumors newbie

jomams

favre interview

favre's been interviewed this morning. it is scheduled to air live on fox news channel 9-10pm cst

http://gretawire.foxnews.com/

22. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

23. idyll macrumors 6502

24. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Ted Thompson is treading VERY thin ice. If Rodgers gets hurt (which he has pretty much every time he's played) and Favre was released or traded to another team, there is nowhere on Earth he can hide from rabid Packer fans calling for his head.

25. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I'm no Green Bay fan, but I admire Favre. He is one player that I truly believe wants to play for the game, and not the money. One of the best quarterbacks in NFL history perhaps, aching to play some more. Physically, he still has some years to go. The last game? Yeah, it sucked. But he's still Favre.

Now the Packers GM is in a pickle. They should just give him the release. Aaron Rodgers needs to see some playing time, and there are plenty of other teams that lack a dedicated quarterback.

He'll be back.