Breaking news iPod touch 6 confirmed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LucasLand, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

2. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

3. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

There's been a bit of debate on this part of the forum as to whether a new iPod touch would be released, considering the declining sales and the possible cannibalisation of iPad mini sales with a larger iPod. So it might not be 'breaking' news, but for some it is welcome news :)

Alex

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

"confirmed" - I do not think this word means what you think it means...

A story on a random non-technology-related website with no history of early knowledge, claiming to have gotten the information from "The Mobile Hub" - which seems to just be a store with no information at all about the iPod touch. No linking to sources, just claiming "confirmed".

Sorry, this is just another rumor.

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Given everything that Apple has going on at the moment, I wouldn't expect it to be a huge update. Maybe a 128G model, and possibly a processor speed bump. They may up the DRAM to 1G too to support future iOS versions, but that won't be a visible change. Maybe they could call it a 5s?:rolleyes:

Expecting Apple to donate a whole bunch of time and effort to this product line is wishful thinking I'd bet...

Still, I doubt they will cancel the iPod line. Apple is still around largely because of the iPod.

I'd expect that the Nike+ will disappear, if not then, in the next version. Finding the shoe pods is difficult. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of the iPhone 6's even have Nike+.

But I do love my Touch. Usually never travel anywhere without it. Especially air travel.

6. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

How much are we looking at for a base model? $299?

7. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

8. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

I hope this is true and comes with 1gb of ram.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I agree but we can still hope.

On the positive side, I'm only interested in the Touch 6 or the rMini 2. If they don't release either in October, I'll save lots of money :D.

10. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I want the Mac mini eventually and the touch 6 .

I am fine with the touch's size as is so the 4.7 inch touch would be fine for me but I have to admit that if the 5.5 inch touch came out alongside a 4.7 inch I would give both products equal consideration but I would have to see them both in person first.

11. 6r4ff3r macrumors member

Breaking news iPod touch 6 confirmed

I'll believe only when i see the update in Apple site...or in next Keynote.

They killed the iPod Classic.
    Since Tim Cook's era, the iPod Touch is not anually updated. Nano and Shuffle are on store like forgotten products.

Since Jobs left i see disrespect for iPod line-up. They're interested only in profits, don't have passion and don't care about one of lineups that made Apple escalate...

12. poison.apple macrumors newbie

Best news from apple so far this year! I have no interested in iPhones what so ever. iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the dangers of a cellular antenna (among other sketchy hardware) spewing out harmful radiation proven to cause/support growth of cancers! Looking forward to see the new design! I would like to see a thinner design no larger in size than the existing device and without the annoyance of a protruding camera, which i find to be problematic when i catches on my pocket, etc. Peace! :)

13. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

The entire iPod line is 1% of their revenue in recent quarters and probably gets 1% of the attention these days, which is all I'd expect.

And of course they're profit-driven. They're a business.

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Exactly. They also have minimized true innovation in the iMac line - the line that truly saved Apple from going out of business. And budget consumer laptops - the iBook caused a huge splash, and it really was "budget" when it was released.

That's just Apple moving on. That is what it does. It doesn't sit on a product line that isn't being successful any more, it drops it and moves on. I fully expect them to drop desktop and laptop computers completely one of these years. I'll be sad about it, but I won't be surprised. (Note: I don't see this happening for at least a decade, though.)

15. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

if you think they are going to neglect devices that play music without having to pay a monthly fee or have a contract you're being foolish

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm curious. Why is it foolish ?

17. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Because they are the only one in the game offering one. iPhones require a SIM card to be activated and used as an iPod touch ( I have done my research on this)I don't have the SIM card or family members who have old iPhones to hand to me. iPhones are also much heavier than the touch which is super light. I just hope they put the brightness sensor back in the 6g touch.

Other android phones I would also have to jump through activation hoops just to use them as an iPod touch.

iPhone batteries also die or become extremely diminished after 2 years so buying a used one is not a good idea because it will just die quickly and eventually die altogether. The batteries cost $$$$ to replace and have to be done by apple or a third party with dubious quality.

I have managed to basically kill or at least deplete to a reduced battery life point 2 iPod touch's already...

18. Ffosse, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Since when did an iPhone require a sim card to be used as an iPod Touch? Mine certainly doesn't - came unlocked. Clearly you haven't done any research on this. Have you ever owned an iPhone? That's as dumb as saying that an iPhone requires a monthly contract to work - again, not true.

I used my iPhone for around 4 months before bothering to put a sim inside it, and then only because I thought it would be semi-useful to have mobile data.

Not true at all. Just use wi-fi, same with android phones - no sim card, contract or monthly plan required.

19. Homme macrumors member

For the OP

Appleinsider doesn't have this info from this link
    9to5 Mac same thing
    Macrumors same thing
    iLounge same thing

Getting info on a site very unreliable, not Apple fansite and random like this is a no-no. Their headline first of all says it all. It isn't confirmed anyway. You have to wait for Apple for that.

I have hope for this but don't get your hopes up through a non Apple, non techie website.

20. Moosucow macrumors newbie

Not that impotent

Well the last iPod was released more then a year so this is not really a breaking news just a helpful fact,

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

;)

22. lastcall macrumors member

lastcall

If the iPod Touch 6G doesn't have a 64-bit A7 chip or newer, then forget it. I'm not buying it.
    iPad Air has A7 chip, iPhone 6 has A8 chip. Stick us with an old 32-bit A5 chip with just a bigger screen, adios.

23. DarkGoddess macrumors newbie

I really hope the gen 6 comes out. I bought a 5th gen but it didn't meet my expectations so I returned it. But then I saw that a lot of people exspect the gen 6 to come out soonish.

The only thing I'd really like to have with the gen 6 is bigger storage. I have a huge audiobook library and I'm always expanding it so the more storage the better. And since the iPod Classic is gone :( I need a backup with large storage capability.

24. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

can you use iTunes match with audio books?