Breaking news iPod touch 6 confirmed

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, maybe they will go one more year without an update since iOS 9 will run on it, but I would think not well. I don't expect a mention in any keynote, they would probably just do a silent website update. I would be surprised if they didn't updated at least one more time, but if they don't update soon they will have no choice but to drop it. They won't sell phones with iOS 9 and iPod touches with iOS 8.

Andy-UK

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2013
'iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the dangers of a cellular antenna'

I don't agree, it's basically a very small iPad and if Apple are moving away from smaller phones then, if they apply that principle to the iPad range and move into the phablet space, a 5.5" iPad Nano would make a very acceptable replacement for a discontinued iPod Touch.

HarryWild

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2012
I certain would love to buy both the iPhone 6 and Touch 6! I will have little money left that for sure! Not sure about the sizes offer in the Touch if they will follow with two sizes like the iPhone 6.

October is just a month away too! Kind of exciting! LOL!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Who buys iPod touches these days? It's like buying half an iPhone. I can only see iPod touches appealing to young children who want the apps and their parents don't want them to have the phone part.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
kdramastars often has incorrect information about the media.
For video games (Namely Kingdom Hearts 3 an Final Fantasy 15) they've had articles 'confirming' official release date, yet Square Enix had no release information themselves at all.

They're pretty much using these articles as clickbait.
Such a sad pathetic way of generating ad revenue.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Who buys iPod touches these days? It's like buying half an iPhone. I can only see iPod touches appealing to young children who want the apps and their parents don't want them to have the phone part.
For a smart phone, not everyone buys an iPhone.

Many Android phone owners end up buying a Touch.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Because they are the only one in the game offering one.
That's a better reason not to offer one than to continue offering one.

It may be too niche of a market for Apple anymore. But if it's a viable market someone else will rush in to fill the gap.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Judging by the used market and the number of comments from people saying they want one the market is still viable. The touch also has certain business applications so people are buying them for that purpose too. If no one was buying them used, and a lot of people are, then the market would call for an end to the product.

No it's not the iPhone market but can any other market really compare to that one?

Don't forget all of the kids and teens that purchase apps and games for the touch, this is a huge market and apple obviously gets a cut from all these sales. Game developers would probably be pretty mad if they discontinued the touch because these kids and Tweens with the touch no doubt spend a ton on music, games and in app purchases for games. For developers if the touch is unable to play games eventually because of outdated hardware then they will lose a huge stream of revenue.

If there were other similar devices on the market then apple could cease to make the touch and everyone would just go to the competitor. As I said iPhones cost twice as much to use as a wifi only device and there are hoops to jump through to get them to work as a wifi only device.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
To those of you saying stuff like "It's 1% of their sales," that doesn't mean there isn't a market. It is still probably one of the best selling non-phone mobile media players, and it still introduces people into the iPhone line, so it has a purpose. Also, it is an appealing market for children and teenagers with parents who don't allow them to have phones (that was me a week ago), and I see them at my school all the time.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Yes, all my family members had the iPod touch from the time they were 7-8 years old... At one point we had at least 5 of them in the family not counting discarded ones. We still have 3 touch's in the family and the rest iPhones not counting discarded devices. When the parents finally cave they get iPhones because they are already grandfathered into the iOS app, music and movie ecosystem which ultimately keeps the customers with apple. Those who cannot afford an iPhone keep the touch and get a prepaid phone. The touch owners have also spent considerable amounts of money on iTunes content such as games, movies, music and in app purchases since they need something to do when there is no wifi. In fact I would say these customers probably spend more in the App Store than the average iPhone user. It also makes gift giving easy since we give iTunes gift cards and they are universally loved by all the touch owners in the family.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
If anything, it will just be a spec bump so that it can support future iOS. I wouldn't expect a redesign of any kind. There's just no market for the iPod line. It will probably be entirely gone within the next few years.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Yes, it seems EVERYONE has a smartphone these days. From kids to adults. But there's still a market for an iPod touch. However, I think its time for a design refresh. If Apple offered a 4.7" and 5.5" iPod touch, just like the iphone 6, I think they'd see sales go up. It'd really grab people's attention again. Some may scoff at a 5.5" iPod touch, saying it would be more like an ipad....EXACTLY. Heck, Apple could even call it an ipad nano...and then have the 4.7" called the iPod touch.

I dunno. The point is...

Not everyone wants to be locked into a pricey phone contract. And not everyone uses their iPod touch for just music. They game on it. Surf the web on it. Etc etc.

A larger screen size on the iPod touch, like the iphone 6 just got would make such things more enjoyable. Offer a 4.7" & 5.5" to give people choice.

Apples line up could look like this:

Iphone 6
Iphone 6 plus
iPod Touch 6 (4.7")
iPod Touch 6+ (5.5") or call it iPad nano if u like
IPad mini
IPad Air

Yup. That'd pretty much cover it all. :)

And don't say there'd be canabilzation...because people would just buy the Apple product they wanted. Most likely they'd buy MORE than one of em. Win win.

Last edited:

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
If anything, it will just be a spec bump so that it can support future iOS. I wouldn't expect a redesign of any kind. There's just no market for the iPod line. It will probably be entirely gone within the next few years.
I am still pleased with the form and fit of the Touch. All I would be looking for would be a spec bump. aaand maybe touch id.

pagemaster

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
Not everyone wants to be locked into a pricey phone contract. And not everyone uses their iPod touch for just music. They game on it. Surf the web on it. Etc etc.
I agree, I am one of these persons. I have an iPod Touch 5 and I use it almost every single day, I listen to a lot of radio programming via wifi and I listen to a lot of podcasts. I often use mine for up 10 hrs per day listening. I have very little use for the inferior Apple iPhones.

I would like to see 5 inche slim iPod 6 touch and a deal breaker for me would be if I can get the new touch with a radio transmitter.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
The iPod Touch 6 will have the U2 album ... and you can't delete it nor exclude it from shuffle. That's the deal ... handsigns ... right?

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Oh dear, you really need to take off your blinkers. There's a myriad of reasons adults use the iPod Touch 5.
I agree! I own an iPod Touch 5 and don't own an iPhone.
I'm still part of the 'dumb phone + smart device' crowd.

I use my iPod Touch a lot, especially at night in bed. Not sure I would want my phone next to me in bed.

The iPod is primarily a music device after all. I use my iPad for web browsing and watching movies when travelling.

I just read the following article: http://www.stableytimes.com/news/ipod-touch-6th-generation-apple-folding-release-date-ipad-event/20708/

Interesting comments in there regarding the iPod now being deemed a smaller version of the iPad. What the! And that it should be called iPad Nano. :eek: LOL
Well okay, maybe if Apple release an iPod Touch 6 Plus with rotating spring board then it may well be (or may as well be called) an iPad Nano.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The iPod Touch is not dead! :)