Breaking news iPod touch 6 confirmed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LucasLand, Sep 11, 2014.

1. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I even go farther than having a dumb phone. cost of landlines have gotten real cheap via voip. I carry a cheap prepaid phone but i usually give out my cheap voip number and let them leave a message, and i'll get back to them if i feel like it.

I have no need for the monthly fee that comes with the iPhone. even less so now that you can leave fellow iOS users a voice message in the messages app

if there was a way to have a reliable internet connection all the time no matter where you were there would be no need for an iPhone. I would just use FaceTime audio and/or download a voip app

2. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

none of you posters are considering the marketing for the business industry

whether its manufacturers or retailers, at tradeshows for Business to businesss or at retails stores for business to consumers.

people are leaning towards devices for everything, for example barcode/creditcard scanners.

essentially there are two options, (well for our customers anyways) if they dont go with our iPad version

they have to buy either an off contract iPhone ($700 + scanning device = around $1200) or an iPod Touch ($300 + scanning device = around 800) and this isn't even including our fee.

and that margin is a lot when you buy multiple. and companies of course would rather just get the Touch, rather than needlessly spending more money on off contract iPhones.

technically you can get Used iPhones and use them for a cheaper option, but is that what really Apple wants? No, they want to make and sell more.

dropping the touch isn't a viable option, and it only gives devices using androids a road to the business industry if that does happen.

that 1 GB upgrade needs to come out. im scared to death that it might crash on big orders on a touch, because we haven't implemented core data into our app yet.

and with iOS 8 i assume its gonna be worse (with the ram issue)

and i honestly dont know why they didnt give the iPhone 6 or 6+ a ram bump. it never hurts to put more ram even when not necessary, for future iOS updates.

3. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Used iPhones are a problem for a number of reasons and they cost more or the same as the touch. iCloud lock and battery issues that can happen with used iPhones are a problem especially when a large investment is being made. Not to mention other potential issues with used products. It's better just to get a fresh device that comes with a warranty this way you know it will work.

4. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I'd rather buy an iPhone 6 and use my 4S as an iPod for the gym or the car.

5. zeppo2 macrumors regular

Wouldn't you have to pay for a data plan for the 4S to still work?

I'm a novice to this, so I ask the question. I've been using an iPod Touch and a cheap cellphone for years. I would have switched to an iPhone long ago if I thought I could still use it the same way I would an iPod Touch if I canceled my data plan (say, after the 2 year contract expired.)

6. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

No, you don't need a data plan to use the iPhone 4S as an iPod. I have a 2nd iPhone 4 that I picked up cheap that has no service at all and can do everything except make phone calls and use cellular data.

7. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

You also need a SIM card from what I understand to get to the home screen on a used iPhone for use as an iPod touch. Not quite as simple as plugging a phone into iTunes. Also I assume the phone had to be previously activated to use, and again, you will need a previously used SIM card to use the device normally. I also assume the sim has to be the same carrier as the iPhone. No idea how this would work with a brand new iPhone that hasn't been activated yet and that you paid full retail price for at the apple store.

8. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

um you are completely wrong. you dont need a sim card at all. all your assumptions are dead wrong.

where the hell do you get this information? literally EVERYTHING you said was wrong.

dont listen to this guy, you dont need a sim card at all to use an iPhone, all you won't be able to do is SMS texting, Phone calls, and obviously you won't have internet connection unless your connected to a Wi-Fi network

9. Ffosse, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

Ffosse macrumors 68000

No, you don't. I run my iPhone5 fine with no sim card. I only put in a sim if I decide to use it as a phone, but I don't need one. You should educate yourself on this instead of spreading complete nonsense.

10. MyopicPaideia, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Upon initial activation, it does appear you need to have a SIM card in the phone, but from my experience it can be any old SIM at all, it doesn't have to be from the same carrier (even on locked phones) or even be an activated SIM card, but the phone does ask you to insert a SIM card to continue with initial setup, and be able to enter its PIN code, at least on iOS 7.1.2 with a 4S that I restored as new to use in our office as a Spotify streamer.

After initial setup, though, you can remove the SIM no problems.

11. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Initial setup, no sim required...I've done this on the 4, 4S, 5 and 5s for a friend.

I'm bemused why anyone would think you need a sim card to use an iPhone - you don't. Another equally untrue favourite from our dumbasses in the US is that you need a data plan - again, you don't.

12. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Cute...

----------

I'd lay money on a better camera, slightly better; more memory, 128G or perhaps even 256G although the latter is unlikely but possible; more static RAM is highly probable as the newer versions of iOS are getting bigger.

Snazzy screen? Why? The one that's in it now is good enough.

What I want brought back is the ambient light sensor so that it will dim in the dark like it used to do.

But either way, Apple *could* kill off the iPod line with a bad update this time around, and I think they know that. For good or bad...

13. yesilyurt01 macrumors newbie

hey guys, I tried to do some researches about next gen ipod touch, but nothing about ipod. noone is even talking about it(just some websites repeating same things to get click). I started to think its not gonna happen. And it really drives me crazy for such a perfect multimedia device won't get better.

14. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Why don't you use your superior non-Apple phone for such easy functions like streaming audio? :rolleyes:

15. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Because he may have a dump phone.

16. ZippyZapp macrumors newbie

I just activated a iPhone 5 for the first time and it would not get passed the selecting a wifi without a SIM card. No way around it, I had to wait to activate my iPhone when my SIM arrived.

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

The phone will complain that it doesn't have a SIM, but it will function just fine.

The very original iPhone required that a SIM be in the phone, and that the SIM in the phone have been active service on that iPhone at some point. But even the 3G got rid of that requirement. (My daughter used my original iPhone as an iPod touch for a few years after I retired it - I just had to leave the deactivated SIM in it.)

18. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I believe you can also buy a sim on eBay for like $3.. Anyone confirm if the sims on eBay will work for this?

19. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Isn't that what a wifi pocket hotspot is?

20. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

but that would require carrying another device in your pockets. not sure how reliable those are in rural areas

21. 617aircav Suspended

So paying for a phone plan, and a wifi hotspot plan and carrying two devices that have to be charged around is very convenient.

22. Truthfulie macrumors regular

WiFi hotspot makes three devices to charge! :D Irrelevant product is irrelevant.

23. iDivergent macrumors newbie

I would like to see more iPhone 6 like iPod touches :)
    Looking forward to it

24. 617aircav Suspended

I can see a 4.7 inch touch but never a 5.5.

25. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Oh i could see it. Think about it. The iPod shuffle & nano are the traditional music only iPods. The touch is more of a gaming, web surfing, picture taking, movie watching device now. Sounds like an ipad to me. In fact, I think that's why they will be updated along with the iPads this year instead of with the iPhones as they usually are. So a 5.5" iPod touch will basically be an ipad nano. This could totally happen, makes perfect sense. I could see a 4.7" iPod touch too. Perhaps both. The 4.7" could remain the iPod touch and the 5.5" could be renamed the ipad nano. Hey, could happen. :)

I think such a move would explode slumping iPod touch sales.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.