Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
By the way... The WePad runs on (Open Source) Android, is not bound to a restricted AppStore and fully supports Flash 10.1. For me, that's just another nail in the iPad's coffin. Especially when you consider that many big European publishing houses already announced that they will go with the WePad and NOT with Apple.
LOL, did you write their fact sheet yourself? I like where it claims the iPad will only support an Apple proprietary document format. Meanwhile the actually shipping iPod/iPhone (and therefore the iPad in 5 days) already supports dozens, including precisely zero Apple proprietary formats.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
I WISH they would drop support for Mac. The player is horribly unstable and a massive resource hog. Yet it is "required" and even installed by default in Snow Leopard.

You either have a primitive Mac, or don't know what you are doing and your system is a mess.

Flash works perfectly fine on all my Macs, and it seems to work fine on the Macs of everyone I know.

Yes, it does require more resources in OS X than in Windows, but that's mostly because Apple has refused to cooperate with Adobe. This is readily apparent in tests, but in real world use, there is no apparent difference to the user.

If anything, Java seems to be the reason for most crashes, in my experience.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
LOL, did you write their fact sheet yourself? I like where it claims the iPad will only support an Apple proprietary document format. Meanwhile the actually shipping iPod/iPhone (and therefore the iPad in 5 days) already supports dozens, including precisely zero Apple proprietary formats.

You have a murky understanding of the whole thing.

Adobe ADEPT is the standard DRM-ed EPUB, used by the majority of the publishing industry.

The iPad cannot read standard protected EPUBs. It reads Apple's proprietary DRM.

Which means that you cannot borrow an EPUB from the library (since they all use ADEPT) and you cannot read an EPUB purchased in another bookstore.

It also means that if you ever switch devices, all the books and publications you have purchased, will not work on your next device, unless Apple's DRM gets cracked.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
You either have a primitive Mac, or don't know what you are doing and your system is a mess.

Flash works perfectly fine on all my Macs, and it seems to work fine on the Macs of everyone I know.

Yes, it does require more resources in OS X than in Windows, but that's mostly because Apple has refused to cooperate with Adobe. This is readily apparent in tests, but in real world use, there is no apparent difference to the user.

If anything, Java seems to be the reason for most crashes, in my experience.

What is your secret? Apples own statics show that more then 50% of all application crashes on the OS X platform are the result of Flash. If you have a solution, I'm sure it would make many users on this forum very happy.

Yes, my machine is a few years old (2.33Ghz C2D MBP 15" with 3G RAM) but It would be ridiculous to suggest replacing it simply because of Flash. With a fresh install containing nothing but the patches from Apple, playing an HD video on Youtube with consume 100% of one core and still result in jerky playback. Pausing that video and opening a new Tab within Safari will result in 50% CPU utilization until the tab is closed. This kills my battery life and over time impacts the stability of Safari.

Sure Java has it's issues, but it is not used nearly as much as Flash by most users day to day.

Also you should look into the details of the "cooperation" that Adobe is asking for. They basically want trusted access to the system kernel in order to directly access the HW of the video card. I don't trust ANY software vendor that much. The interface that exposes this access is abstracted and available via the CORE animation and Open GL API's and has been successfully used by many other video solutions on OS X. The issue is that Adobe doesn't want to use the provided methods.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
What is your secret? Apples own statics show that more then 50% of all application crashes on the OS X platform are the result of Flash. If you have a solution, I'm sure it would make many users on this forum very happy.

Yes, my machine is a few years old (2.33Ghz C2D MBP 15" with 3G RAM) but It would be ridiculous to suggest replacing it simply because of Flash. With a fresh install containing nothing but the patches from Apple, playing an HD video on Youtube with consume 100% of one core and still result in jerky playback. Pausing that video and opening a new Tab within Safari will result in 50% CPU utilization until the tab is closed. This kills my battery life and over time impacts the stability of Safari.

Sure Java has it's issues, but it is not used nearly as much as Flash by most users day to day.

Also you should look into the details of the "cooperation" that Adobe is asking for. They basically want trusted access to the system kernel in order to directly access the HW of the video card. I don't trust ANY software vendor that much. The interface that exposes this access is abstracted and available via the CORE animation and Open GL API's and has been successfully used by many other video solutions on OS X. The issue is that Adobe doesn't want to use the provided methods.

If Adobe used OpenGL they would have hardware acceleration on every OS ever.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Sure. You just need to explain to developers how they can write Rich Internet Applications and games like Samorost 2 with HTML5.

It just makes me sad to see that everybody seems to mistake Flash with just another stupid video format.

By the way... The WePad runs on (Open Source) Android, is not bound to a restricted AppStore and fully supports Flash 10.1. For me, that's just another nail in the iPad's coffin. Especially when you consider that many big European publishing houses already announced that they will go with the WePad and NOT with Apple.

Sorry but no. Things like Samorost can easily be created with other tools, and be more universal. The reality is, the devices themselves (iPad, iPhone, iPod) are making things like Samorost undesirable and irrelevant.

Sorry, but these niche pieces of Flash crap are not going to last. A Chimp is entertaining, but when an alien space craft lands in your back yard, you can bet that you're party will be more interested in that, for quite a while.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I posted twice before you posted a second time. I was originally updating my first post, but then decided to just make a new post the conincidentally addressed your points from your second post. I guess I was anticipating what you might immediately respond with... and apparently I guess I was on the mark. Which would suggest iPlayer is STREAMING content, and not simply linking to an external FLV or MP4 file like most Flash content on the web. Moreover, I think if you have a sophisticated MEDIA SERVER that can apply certain rules and procedures in HOW media is served, you will have more content protection options that simply using Flash to link to an FLV or MP4 sitting in your normal IIS or Apache web directory. For instance, look at this tech note from Adobe outlining how users can work to "protect" Flash content.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405456.html

Without these kind of measures (more involved than most people care to implement), you content is fairly naked. --Many websites simply choose NOT to focus on protecting content at the point of download however, and instead choose to rotate and expire dynamic links to the content itself.

Fully 20% of all internet traffic in the UK uses these measures. It's not exactly a tiny amount of obscure content here.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.