Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I dont like the new look either, it less Apple and more generic looking. I think iOS7 has a bit of an identity crisis going on.

Wetware.

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Ive been using 7.1 betas since the beginning. I still can't get used to having my contact pic in a small circle at the right side of my name. I loved iOS 7 but 7.1 kinda of ruined it. I don't get why Apple would not continue using the contacts pics even they advertise it so beautifully on their website. Don't u think a full screen contact pic looks a LOT better than the empty screen??? Look at the pics: Small contact pic, TINY "Remind me" and "Message" (IT LOOKS SO UGLY), empty screen in the middle, the unlock slider cannot be uglier!
I don't think somebody can post an incoming call screen that looks pretty under the new design.

Please Apple, bring the old iOS 7 design back!!!

it’s not about looking “pretty”, it’s about allowing you to respond with ease in any situation.

----------

DAMN!!! the new slide to answer is ********** ugly!!!

the old looks like a button until you spent the time to read the faint text.
the new is functionally superior.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Here's an idea: why not keep the fullscreen view for high-res photos and then adapt the screen for low-res ones (not * circles)?
Sense adds a "mosaic" effect to low-quality contact photos.

And change the sliders back to the pre-7.0 ones. The ones that were edge-to-edge; shown off in the WWDC presentation. THEY were beautiful.
They are also "skeuomorphic" and "dated".

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
It's gone :( No more full screen contact pics. What an ugly call screen when my girlfriend, friends or family are calling.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's gone :( No more full screen contact pics. What an ugly call screen when my girlfriend, friends or family are calling.
Well, well, so the final version didn't bring it back...that's too bad.

After a recent reinstall I'm staying free of contact photos for the time being given that they are less useful now.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Ive been using 7.1 betas since the beginning. I still can't get used to having my contact pic in a small circle at the right side of my name. I loved iOS 7 but 7.1 kinda of ruined it. I don't get why Apple would not continue using the contacts pics even they advertise it so beautifully on their website. Don't u think a full screen contact pic looks a LOT better than the empty screen??? Look at the pics: Small contact pic, TINY "Remind me" and "Message" (IT LOOKS SO UGLY), empty screen in the middle, the unlock slider cannot be uglier!
I don't think somebody can post an incoming call screen that looks pretty under the new design.

Please Apple, bring the old iOS 7 design back!!!

While it looks decent with the full-screen pics with Apple's promo photos, regular photos that many people choose for their contacts would look horrible. And from a text readability and, thus, usability standpoint, the image on the right is the better choice. But the degree of color and pattern variation in contact photos, it would probably be difficult to design a readable UI incorporating full-screen pictures.

I like the concept of full-screen contact photos, but the smaller photo as seen on the right is more readable and usable.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013

Horrible!

----------

Well, well, so the final version didn't bring it back...that's too bad.

After a recent reinstall I'm staying free of contact photos for the time being given that they are less useful now.

True! Its better without a pic now. But the slider is horrendous too... and circles all over!!! ewwwwwww

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
New way is ugly. Beyond being ugly, it's a poor user experience. It's now harder to quickly identify who's calling. Human brains recognize faces, not text. iOS7 is apparently designed to be used by machines, not human beings. Machines with no concept of aesthetic or the real world.

I appreciate the speed and stability improvements of iOS7.1 as well as many of the features, but from a usability and attractiveness standpoint, it's just getting worse and worse. And I don't mean less awesome; iOS tipped from awesome to atrocious when it transitioned to iOS7. Now it's just digging an uglier pit.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
While it looks decent with the full-screen pics with Apple's promo photos, regular photos that many people choose for their contacts would look horrible.
Why do you and others think this? I've been using contact photos since my original iPhone EDGE, and I've always had very nice images set up. It's really not hard whatsoever. Any hi-res photo that isn't just outright terrible can make a good contact picture. By your logic, the phone might as well not even have a camera because you're so inept at using it. It's just a terrible argument to say that only Apple can release decent contact photos; I know nothing about photography, and mine are beautiful.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I never said that I'm inept at selecting good photos. I create interactive computer-based learning and whether you're designing software or eLearning courses, you have to design for the lowest common denominator. There are a lot of design features I think are clear, but when we do alpha testing with end users you'd be surprised at what trips people up, and fonts and images I think are clear, some people struggle with.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I actually like the small contact pics. I must be an outcast.
UI design ≠ architecture.

As for the caller screen, I prefer the new design. The old one did not look good with photos pulled from social networks at all.
While it looks decent with the full-screen pics with Apple's promo photos, regular photos that many people choose for their contacts would look horrible. And from a text readability and, thus, usability standpoint, the image on the right is the better choice. But the degree of color and pattern variation in contact photos, it would probably be difficult to design a readable UI incorporating full-screen pictures.

I like the concept of full-screen contact photos, but the smaller photo as seen on the right is more readable and usable.
At least you could choose one way or the other way before, and now you don't even get a choice. After letting people choose for so long all these years and showing it all off in commercials and ads to simply take it away all of sudden is a poor way of going about it (even if was for some sort of "improvement" reasons).

Perhaps in the next update Apple could decide for all of us that all the photos we take should have a person in them and no longer save any photos without a person, since, you know, photos of people are better and friendlier than photos without anyone in them. ;)

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
New mini-contact not good for visually impaired

I wish apple hadn't changed the contact image size on an incoming call
the new phone screen is not only a mess, but if you're visually impaired it's a joke

Bring back full screen contact pictures, or failing that put it on half the screen

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I love full screen so much that I actually bothered to put in 100+ pictures to my phone over the Xmas and it looks great, also when you call someone and it is out of focus but I recognise the people in the background and it looks great.

If you for whatever reason need to put this new ugly UI in please keep it in as an option but do not force it on us.

I will actually not upgrade to 7.1 and I desperately need to as my 5s restarts twice a day for no apparent reason and ever since IOS7 Siri says"I am sorry but i cant take any requests right now" far far too often. Please apple fix what is actually broken with IOS 7.

if you're not updating to 7.1 because of contact pictures..you've got some priorities to check.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
i don't know... did u see my examples in the first page? Nono of the new designs are better or cuter, or more functional than the old one... none...

Look here:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/10/apple...nts-ui-tweaks-new-accessibility-options-more/

there is a poll happening!

----------

if you're not updating to 7.1 because of contact pictures..you've got some priorities to check.

It all included! It sucks having a perfect-running ugly system, it also sucks having a slaggy beautiful system. So, why break what it was working perfectly...

Last edited:

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
i don't know... did u see my examples in the first page? Nono of the new designs are better or cuter, or more functional than the old one... none...

Look here:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/10/apple...nts-ui-tweaks-new-accessibility-options-more/

there is a poll happening!

----------

It all included! It sucks having a perfect running ugly system, it also sucks having a slaggy beautiful system. So, why brake what it was working perfectly...

it doesn't affect the usability or function of the OS..so if you'd rather stay on a buggy 7.0.6 because of full screen contact pictures, you lose the ability, imo, to complain about anything actually wrong with the OS.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
it doesn't affect the usability or function of the OS..so if you'd rather stay on a buggy 7.0.6 because of full screen contact pictures, you lose the ability, imo, to complain about anything actually wrong with the OS.

I won't say i won't update because, unfortunately, at some point you have to. We are just taking that, design wise, its a step in the wrong direction.

Scott Forstall should be laughing right now... "Simplicity is not simple bla bla bla"
The did it backwards...
The slider was simple... they made it so colorful and so heavy is awful...

Contacts pics were the way they supposed to be, and they made so simple now, it looks empty. The pic is for nothing, you cant barely see it... and an empty blurred screen in the middle.

So many circles now that there is no balance. I cannot begin to tell you how awfully wrong it is...

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I won't say i won't update because, unfortunately, at some point you have to. We are just taking that, design wise, its a step in the wrong direction.

Scott Forstall should be laughing right now... "Simplicity is not simple bla bla bla"
The did it backwards...
The slider was simple... they made it so colorful and so heavy is awful...

Contacts pics were the way they supposed to be, and they made so simple now, it looks empty. The pic is for nothing, you cant barely see it... and an empty blurred screen in the middle.

So many circles now that there is no balance. I cannot begin to tell you how awfully wrong it is...

Keep in mind what you're saying is an objective opinion and has no actual bearing on anything.

Your opinion is your opinion alone. That's it. Nothing more. In my opinion, it looks much better, cleaner, and more functional.

People who disagree with things need to stop stating their opinions as facts and positing them as signs to a greater downfall.

The iPod was panned when it came out. The iPad was too. How many people in 2007 did you hear say "I don't need all that stuff. I just like to make calls and text." How many of those people have smartphones now?

Just because you dislike something, or dislike a direction a company is taking, doesn't mean that this is a sign that they will continue to do so.

Again, it's full screen contact pictures. Big deal. Apple has fixed a ton of stuff in 7.1 that people complained about, but we've got people complaining about piddling interface changes that change absolutely nothing about how the OS functions. Get over it.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Keep in mind what you're saying is an objective opinion and has no actual bearing on anything.

Your opinion is your opinion alone. That's it. Nothing more. In my opinion, it looks much better, cleaner, and more functional.

People who disagree with things need to stop stating their opinions as facts and positing them as signs to a greater downfall.

The iPod was panned when it came out. The iPad was too. How many people in 2007 did you hear say "I don't need all that stuff. I just like to make calls and text." How many of those people have smartphones now?

Just because you dislike something, or dislike a direction a company is taking, doesn't mean that this is a sign that they will continue to do so.

Again, it's full screen contact pictures. Big deal. Apple has fixed a ton of stuff in 7.1 that people complained about, but we've got people complaining about piddling interface changes that change absolutely nothing about how the OS functions. Get over it.

Can get over such a stupid move from Apple. The removed all the skeuomorphism from iOS 6 and they are slowing putting it back... and i think thats a mistake. I know its my opinion, but i have the right to continue expressing it. Its not the first time companies had to go back a step. The majority doesn't like it... thats says something. Good there still people in the world with good taste..

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
I have agree that this change is stupid. I spent weeks getting high resolution contacts setup for most of my contacts. Now they are going to put them in a little circle regardless of the resolution. What a load of crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.