browser tests, iPhone vs G1 vs. Pre

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clevin, Jun 4, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Impressive. I'm glad Palm is stepping up it's game, it'll do good for everyone once these 2 giants bump heads.

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Dammit. Apple better step up their game (regardless of how many actual Pres are sold). I just hope they don't get all sue happy instead.

I don't care if the Pre sells 1 single phones or a billion phones, I just want the best phone. My 3G is looking amateur at this point.

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

im more interested about why the difference? they all use webkit, all on same wifi network, I dont really understand why the difference, especially G1.

Honestly, I think Pre is on top of this top class. But I don't really expect to see difference in this case. someone should check the engine version of three phones and report back, if they have such chance.

All cards/tabs alive thing, yes, it comes down to multitasking again. You love apple or not, this is a weakness of iPhone that apple will need to address. Unfortunately, I dont think apple can do it on current hardware level, maybe in iPhone 5.0.... I hope Palm would improve as well, given a year or two.

Isn't competition exciting? I can't wait for the Pre coming to Verizon and ATT..

5. bjquach macrumors 6502

Pre is nice but iPhone can be sim swapped plus it compensates from its larger screen.

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

The Palm Pre and the iPhone screen resolutions are the exact same... it's the war of the DPI!

7. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

Larger screen has both pros and cons as a phone.

also if you noticed, Pre display more content than iPhone on same page. because Pre has no toolbar down below.

You will have to use it to decide if physically larger screen really compensates iPhone in this regard. I don't know the answer.

8. The General macrumors 601

Not much faster considering the iPhone is a year old.

9. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

faster is faster, you can argue whatever reason you want to blame it on later.

end user don't excuse, they just use.

also, nobody stops apple from update the browser. Pre does OTA update, btw.

10. retroneo macrumors 6502a

The Pre is so fast because of the incredible 600MHz ARM Cortex A8 inside it.

The G1 and iPhone 3G use slower ARM11 CPUs. The next iPhone is likely to be Cortex A8-based too.

11. bjquach macrumors 6502

It is arguable but I would prefer the screen size over the Pre. 0.4 inches do make a huge difference when it comes to certain things like video.

12. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I kinda agree, altho I do feel when comes to video, none of them are ideal. and I doubt many people use phones as premier video players.

if thats true, then there is no chance for current iPhone owner to speed it up?

I still think its about the browser engine version. But it might be both, i guess its easy to tell, when next gen of iPhone comes out, we would know better on this.

13. bjquach macrumors 6502

I don't use mine as a video player but when I take a 3 hour train ride to Boston or something, it's fun to have the phone out for some time.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The zoom animation on the G1 and Pre are horrible, as are the pan. The iPhone is much better in that sense.

The pre is also brand new (obviously running with a better processor and more RAM) let's compare the Pre to the new iPhone instead of one with two year old hardware.

15. DougB541 macrumors 6502a

So when the other phone doesn't beat the iPhone 3G...its ok.

But if it does...."lets wait for the new one"

No....come saturday, these are the phone out now. We have no idea what the new iPhone will do speed wise, but the consumer can only compare whats out in their hand on saturday.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you read my previous posts in the Pre vs. iPhone threads I usually am touting the cool features of the Pre over the iPhone. However, I'm going to call out BS when I smell it.

17. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i agree comparison with new gen of iPhone would narrow down the explanations for the speed difference.

But if its indeed hardware being the problem, there are millions of iPhone owners would be left in dust.

But still, even with 128MB of RAM, iPhone only does 1 page at a time, while Pre keeps all the webpages (tests have at least 5 pages open on the Pre) and other apps alive, so I kinda doubt RAM is the problem. CPU? maybe, we will see.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Welcome to the world of technology. It's nice you finally made it.

What do you mean by, "left in the dust?" The iPhones will continue to work. Sure they won't be as fast as the new generation, but that's to be expected.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The Pre is faster but did anyone detect an issue where he had to press on the screen more than once as though the screen was unresponsive?

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, I thought that was kind of funny. He seemed to press each menu twice, yet the whole time he was still saying how great the Pre is. Fanboys annoy me to no end.

I like parts of the iPhone, and I like parts of the Pre, but it will be at least a year or two before phones start to work the way they're supposed to.

21. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

Im glad I made it.

left in dust, as no new features that requires better hardwares. This browser speed is just a small example, bigger problems, such as multitasking etc, maybe more important to users.

But hey, apple probably won't be able to reach that in another year or two, those early iPhone users can just switch the the Pre, or cash out for a new iPhone in 1-2 years!

I did hear the complain about that problem, but hey, The screen quality is great, as all the reviews tested. The problem is most likely software related. Pre has OTA update build in, they have planned for the bug fixes, all the time.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You think it's surprising that a brand new phone is faster at rendering webpages than a year old phone with the same software package?

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It happens on the iPhone/iPod too. Just depends on the amount of skin contact, whether your hands are dry, etc. The vast majority of the reviews thus far have said that the touchscreen on the Pre is at or near the quality of the iPhone's, and is the first phone besides iPhone to be so responsive. I'm willing to believe that.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, because future versions of the Pre OS will be supported on every version of the Pre hardware too! New and old! :rolleyes:
    You act as if the Pre is free. If an iPhone user switches they'll still have to pay for a new Pre, and they'll have to pay for their apps again, and when a new Pre comes out with new features that the old Pre doesn't support, guess what! They'll have to buy a new one. :rolleyes:

25. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

so you know the guy and know he owns that iPhone for a year and has all the packages you know he has on the iPhone?

or you pretend not to see that iPhone works one page at a time, while the Pre has 5 pages open, all alive?
    of course its not free, but sprint plan is cheaper for one. and they can enjoy desktop-level multitasking RIGHT NOW!, instead of waiting for a year or two and bearing the bs excuses from apple! how is that ;p