Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Yeah, this really isn't as ground breaking as Clevin is trying to get us to believe. But he's trying so hard, so let's all just pat him on the back.

But the iphone is supposed to be the next BEST thing, but yet you can only do 1 thing at a time with it.. I hope that changes soon.. I would love to use pandora while I'm responding to an e-mail or texting....

James

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
ok i am calling you out too.. you keep saying desktop level multitasking ... and people have called you out saying please explain and you have YET to explain you just make some comment and dont back it up.. so please back it up or SHUT UP
Um, please see his post, #38, in this very thread. I'm glad he finally explained it and look forward to seeing it in action, live.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Unless and until someone figures out how to make more than one application visible in a usable size on a 3" screen, a phone will never have "desktop level multitasking."

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
The Pre is so fast because of the incredible 600MHz ARM Cortex A8 inside it.

The G1 and iPhone 3G use slower ARM11 CPUs. The next iPhone is likely to be Cortex A8-based too.

exactly

also, its funny to see the people talking about it being "unresponsive"

so, youve never had to tap anything on your iphone a second time? im very impressed

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
The Pre is faster but did anyone detect an issue where he had to press on the screen more than once as though the screen was unresponsive?

This happens to me often on the iPhone too.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Unless and until someone figures out how to make more than one application visible in a usable size on a 3" screen, a phone will never have "desktop level multitasking."

Not this argument again...

It fails.

And yes, I already know you use multiple monitors, but no one really cares what you do with your computer. Modern OS's are not generally designed to be used like that. Machines that do run them require non-standard display adapters (graphics card) and then the displays must be calibrated - hardly "out of the box".

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Not this argument again...

It fails.

And yes, I already know you use multiple monitors, but no one really cares what you do with your computer. Modern OS's are not generally designed to be used like that. Machines that do run them require non-standard display adapters (graphics card) and then the displays must be calibrated - hardly "out of the box".

Look at my computer screen right now. I have 3 applications displayed at once, all are visible and usable without moving the windows. This doesn't require multiple monitors or adapters or graphics cards. No calibration required.

This is desktop level multitasking. Not some one-at-a-time application viewing thing with applications running in the background.

picture1mjh.png

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Oh wow an AIM buddy list!

Yeah, that's one of my apps! See, now you're learning.

And check this out, on my computer, I can browse the web, edit a document, read tweets and browse files all at the same time!

picture1lze.png

This is desktop level multitasking.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
And check this out, on my computer, I can browse the web, edit a document, read tweets and browse files all at the same time!

picture1lze.png

This is desktop level multitasking.

Actually... you can do them... one at a time. Unless, of course, somehow you are able to read one tweeted sentence with one eyeball and type a completely different sentence on another part of the screen with the other eyeball. After all, your inactive tasks are grayed out.

Congratulations, you just discovered the quickest way to switch between running applications - the speed it takes your eyeball to move 10°. I'm sure that kind of speed on a mobile device is at least a decade away, but don't worry, webOS will have it before iPhone OS.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Actually... you can do them... one at a time. Unless, of course, somehow you are able to read one tweeted sentence with one eyeball and type a completely different sentence on another part of the screen with the other eyeball. After all, your inactive tasks are grayed out.

Congratulations, you just discovered the quickest way to switch between running applications - the speed it takes your eyeball to move 10°. I'm sure that kind of speed on a mobile device is at least a decade away, but don't worry, webOS will have it before iPhone OS.

Good, then WebOS will have desktop level multitasking in a decade.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Good, then WebOS will have desktop level multitasking in a decade.

Yep - in speed.

What clevin has been saying is that webOS has the same multi-tasking usability as a desktop. He's already explained what that means in this thread and others.

It has nothing to do with how much you can see at any given time, but how tasks are managed.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Yep - in speed.

What clevin has been saying is that webOS has the same multi-tasking usability as a desktop. He's already explained what that means in this thread and others.

It has nothing to do with how much you can see at any given time, but how tasks are managed.

The real win on a phone platform, is not the ability to have tasks sit in the background and do stuff. Which in many ways is an undesirable thing.
I don't want my foreground application having to fight for resources with a background application, if the price for that is a reduction in the speed of my main application.

The real win is having a task ready for instant resume - continuing identically from where we left it. That is the real benefit.

Being able to quickly and easily shift between 2 or more RAM resident applications would improve the iPhone.

C.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The real win on a phone platform, is not the ability to have tasks sit in the background and do stuff. Which in many ways is an undesirable thing.
I don't want my foreground application having to fight for resources with a background application, if the price for that is a reduction in the speed of my main application.

The real win is having a task ready for instant resume - continuing identically from where we left it. That is the real benefit.

Being able to quickly and easily shift between 2 or more RAM resident applications would improve the iPhone.

C.
Spoken like a true fanboy. Tell me, how much does your computer slow down when you're running Safari and iTunes?

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
nothing in that review is desktop-level multitasking. Thats like a pretty version of windows mobile.

Now i'm interested.

How is it a pretty version of Windows Mobile?

Pretty version of Windows Mobile:
htc-diamond-2.jpg

It still has the crappy shell of Windows Mobile under the glitz.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Spoken like a true fanboy. Tell me, how much does your computer slow down when you're running Safari and iTunes?

How rude!

I am saying that Apple *should* change the OS to allow apps to stay memory resident - and facilitate instant switching. That's where the real benefit lies for improving the user experience. Such a change would need more RAM in the iPhone. Which I think is coming.

Thankfully my computer slows down very little with iTunes running in the background. It barely steals 1% of the CPU. For that matter my iPhone doesn't slow down much either running the iPod in background. I have never heard once heard the audio stutter. Although I understand the Pre does, despite having a faster CPU than the 3G iPhone.

The iPhone needs a change, the benefit of instant switching would be significant. But the benefit of background apps is pretty minimal. I don't want background apps stealing resources, when time-critical apps are in the foreground.

If all backgrounded apps could be corralled into "No more than 5% cpu cap" - then I might be happy.

C.

bremb0

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Can a jailbroken iPhone multitask without crashing? Hell no. Safari crashes daily. Run Pandora in the background and check you email.. crashes, hey what happened to Pandora?

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I thought this thread was supposed to be about mobile browser tests? I guess I read the title wrong.

Fair point.

The video shows the Pre to be marginally faster at loading web-pages than the iPhone3g.

Given it's the rendering time, and not the network speed which is the bottleneck here, one would expect the faster cpu'd Pre to win.

C.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.