BSG Thread, Pt. 2 (Caprica, etc) -- includes spoilers on show nights

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mkrishnan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is the successor thread for this thread. Feel free to discuss all topics related to the 2003 BSG miniseries, 2004-2009 BSG series, and upcoming movies here.

For your convenience....
    BSG Series
    Battlestar Galactica Miniseries (2003) on IMDB
    Battlestar Galactica TV Series (2004-2009) on IMDB
    News on 28 Jul 2009 release of BSG series on Blu-Ray / BD

Caprica
    Caprica Premiere DVD on Amazon, Blockbuster, and Netflix
    Caprica (upcoming series) on IMDB
    Eight clips of Caprica, released on 25 Mar 2009

Movie
    Battlestar Galactica: The Plan (upcoming TV movie) on IMDB

For fan service, as of this time, I believe Caprica is expected to debut Fall 2009 in 2010. A DVD premier became available for sale on 21 April 2009. I think The Plan is scheduled to also drop in November 2009.

There are only two BSG threads (so far). There are many replies. And they have a plan.

Cheers, ya bunch of fracking toaster lovers!

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Wow, the end of an era ... and the beginning of a new one.

Or ... it all happened before and it will happen again. :p

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

One last applause to ~Shard~ who started the original BSG thread. :)

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Doesn't have to. We could all chuck out our computers and go mingle with the savages.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks my friend, much appreciated! Seems like so long ago now... ;)

I would like to thank mkrishnan as well for creating this new thread to ensure that future BSG-related discussions can continue. :cool:

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

hey folks,

this has nothing to do with Caprica or BSG, but thought I would post a msg about bsg actors moving on:

The very HOT Tricia Helfer will be on CHUCK tomorrow night (Monday the 30th) at 8 PM EST.

Cheers,
    keebler

7. CF Fighter macrumors member

A correction and addition for you:

-Caprica is slated to begin the actual series in Fall of 2010. The reason behind it starting so late is so the writing team from BSG can fulfill all their outstanding contracts and come back to head up the new series. The Pilot though will be out on April 21, 2009. Also Sci-Fi wants to gauge the reaction of the community to the pilot to help the series too.

-Its also rumored that the Blu-Ray release of the entire series will be in late July of 2009.

Onto some of my comments. Many people are calling Caprica a 90210 show for Sci-Fi, soon to be SyFy. It is true that the Pilot will have a focus on the teens because those are the ones who drive the adult characters to do what they do, mainly the work on the original Colonial Cylon AI and machines. I think that once the series begins we will get into the much deeper drama of the two families, Greystone and Adama, going against each other.

8. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

CF Fighter, thanks for the info -- I'll add it to the first post for convenience. :)

P.S. What is this "SyFy" business? I guess I need to google that.

P.P.S. Eight video clips from Caprica have been released -- warning, this page :rolleyes: loads all 8 as Youtube frames, so it might lock up slower computers....

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Wanna_See_8_Caprica_Clips/4478

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

NBC is rebranding SciFi to SyFy because they can't copyright a genre'. Which SciFi is. It's short for science fiction.

10. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, okay, thank you. I checked an article on it too and so now I can, more or less fully informed, render my opinion:

/Facepalm

There, now that we got that out of the way. I watched several of the Caprica clips and it looks like it has some potential for good human drama. In leaving space behind for the surface of Caprica, it really has the potential to take all the best elements of BSG -- the rich characters and human drama -- and sacrifice only the relatively geeky aspects. But then I'd also wonder why Moore felt compelled to do the show based on the BSG world and on the SyFy or whatever they are calling it channel, instead of taking his well earned cachet from the brilliance that was BSG to just do a primetime drama that has nothing to do with BSG's plot or story but would take its excellent dramatic qualities to a larger audience.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I saw the last episode last night and LOVED it! What a great end to a fantatstic show.

12. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I'm hoping that kind of human story is what Caprica is going to be about... although I almost honestly wish he just told a completely different and not even necessarily science fiction story instead. The team that writes and plans BSG has an amazing talent for expressing human pathos that are incredibly relevant in our world right now.

It's striking when a remake of a cheesy 70s science fiction show can tell the story of the human cost of modern war in a way that is at once better than any political or war series on television and perhaps better than most movies that address the subject realistically.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. It was quite simply one of the best shows ever made.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed - I think the stories, truth and so forth are even more relevant and real in our world than most people even realize. Just the whole concept of advanced civilizations living long before we were around and the universe being such a big place makes so much sense. So often we as humans are very narrow-minded, simplistically naïve and think we are the be-all and end-all, when in fact we're just a small chapter in such a grander, epic reality. We are not an advanced civilization, rather very primitive and I don't think it hurts to expand our minds and realize such things, if nothing else to humble us and open our minds to so much. But, that's a whole other topic for discussion which I could go on for hours about but will refrain from in this thread... ;) :cool:

15. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a really interesting point also... perhaps sometimes we act in a way that we would not act if we didn't think we were so unique in all of time and space. Somewhat loosely akin to Heinlein's argument that, if humans knew for sure there was an afterlife and didn't have a doubt of our place in it, we would be more noble people (like the Martians in Stranger in a Strange Land).

16. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Not yet having cable :eek: I have to wait for the DVD's of the last season, of which I bought, en masse, the entire other seasons about a month ago. Ordered Caprica and am awaiting the release.

Got the BSG pilot on iTunes, but with my connection speed (1.5mbps), it took too frakkin' long to download.

There. I said it. A naughty word in a sentence. :cool:

17. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am still on the waiting list for Season 4.0 at my library and I am sure I missed at least one episode in there. The "Face of The Enemy" webisodes are still on my todo list as well.

I'm struggling to find a show to start watching. I might go back and watch Angel, Alias and Jericho from start to finish until something good comes along.

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I was a very late arriving to watch this series. Being unemployed though gave me something to watch. So I watched the entire series in about a month and a half and I was completely taken back by it. The entire series was absolutely brilliant, the finale was perfect.

Is it me or does anyone think or feel that this series was before its time? The plot and parallels are simply astounding.

I can't wait for the series to come out on Blu-Ray! :D

I'm also looking forward to The Plan and I don't know how I feel yet about Caprica (I've watched the clips and I feel it could go either way).

Also: Renaming SciFi to SyFy is just dumb (that's being nice and no offense to anybody).

EDIT: BSG The Complete Series is slated to be out on Blu-Ray on 7/28/09 Source

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You might enjoy Dexter. I think that it is one of the most well-written shows on TV right now - great stories, character, actors, the complete package - and you'd only have 3 season to catch up on. :cool:

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would agree. Good show. :)

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

What is The Plan supposed to be about? Anyone know? Given the cast list from IMDB, it's gotta happen before they find Earth (II).

22. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As I understand it, the basic premise of The Plan is to tell the story of the truce-breaking attack on the Colonies and the aftermath from the Cylon point of view. Like the teaser for the first several seasons always ended with "and they have a plan." This is the story of the Cylon plan for humanity....

23. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Excellent. Thanks, mkrishan!

Maybe we'll find out what happend to the Cylon that got boxed. I believe Ellen described him as "the artist". Daniel??? Some have speculated this was Starbuck's piano playing Dad, but I'm not so sure... That would make her a Cylon, but last we saw, she was an angel or somthing? I didn't like that part at all... "Harbinger of Death," not really, angel like Baltar and Caprica's vision, not really. What the frak was she?!?

24. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My interpretation of that was that she was the death of humanity and human civilization in the sense that the humans abandoned Colonial civilization, and instead created a new human-cylon civilization. So "humanity" died out, thanks to Kara, and we (who are not fully human) are the children of this human-cylon story that began with Hera.