Bumper Cases for the iPhone 7/ 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by borgsauce, Jan 20, 2017.

1. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

Hey guys,
    I've got an i7 and bought a bunch of dbrand skins that I'll be exchanging and using over the course of owning the phone. I'd like to be able to show off and feel the texture of the back but at the same time have some form of drop protection. So far I've been leaning more towards the X-Doria defender edge series but there's not enough reviews or pics around to give me a better idea. From what I can tell it's not too bulky on the edges and the finishing looks premium but how's the durability? Then there's the Rhinoshield but that just seems too bulky and very blah if I'm honest. What's your suggestion and if you own any bumper Cases please feel free to post it here. Thank you.

2. willmtaylor, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

Thanks but it still adds a significant bulk. And the life time replacement won't be much use for me since I live in Dubai.

I like the k-11 but it seems I have to preorder it and it cost just about the same as the x-Doris edge series. If you had to choose between the 2 which one and why?

Sorry I wasn't aware of those threads. I could use this thread to put out a review after I receive my bumper case. But thanks for listing those threads I've checked them out and it seems the choices aren't much.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm ok with "bulk" (though it doesn't seem bulky to me), as it provides legit drop protection. Others aren't a fan, and that's ok with me too. ;-)

It's an international company (not American), so I don't think being in the UAE would matter.

I've never tried either the K11 or the XDoris, but the reviews are VERY mixed on the quality of K11. There were quite a few quality complaints on these forums when Kickstarter supporters finally received their products.

You're right; there aren't a lot to choose from. Best of luck.

5. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

6. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

I had the k11 for the 6 and have the crashguard for both. I liked the crashguard but it was bulky and made the phone noticeably wider. The k11 for the 6 was nice but easily bendable. The new ones are shipping this week, I should have mine by the end of next week and will probably post in one of the several existing threads with pictures. The new one is supposed to be stronger and it also has more TPU hand holds. My biggest concern is if the new one will degrade the signal or not, the old version definitely lowered the signal a little.

7. borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

I need some opinions on the x-Doria edge. If it degrades the signal i can still cancel the order and go for something else.

Yes please post the reviews and pics. Hope it's what you expected.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Have a k11 coming in a few days as well.

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I wish they
    Would make bumpers like those on the iPhone 4. Not too thick.

10. borgsauce, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

Okay here goes.

Setup = X-Doria Edge Series Bumper case + Dbrand Orange Carbon skin + Generic Edge2edge glass screen protector.

[​IMG]
    As you can see there is little to no front lip so this wouldn't be ideal if you plan to place the phone face down. But I prefer it this way as I dislike any obstructions around the screen. It adds nothing to the overall phones thickness but does add about 3mm around the edges.

[​IMG]
    Im really liking the orange and space grey combination at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    The bumper is divided into 3 parts glued onto a single TPU around the phone and held together quite well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was hoping the lip around the camera area would be a bit thicker but unfortunately it's almost flush with the camera. I wouldn't be comfortable putting my phone on anything other than a perfectly flat and clean surface.

[​IMG]
    The mute switch is a bit harder to get to if you've got really short nails or fat fingers. Volume buttons aswell the power buttons are also machined aluminium with satisfactory tactile feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried getting a close up view between the camera lip and the table, I can't tell if the camera lense is contact with the table. But I wouldn't risk sliding the phone around.

Definetely not for protection against drops anywhere over 1 ft in height. It's more aesthetic and protection against scratches and minor bumps.

Also it would've been better if the edge wasn't chamfered as that tends to shows scratches easily. But over all it meets my expectations.

11. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Dbrand skin where it's cutout for apple logo makes skin look SUPER thick?

12. borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

Lol I see what you mean it only looks like that in pictures but it's not. Around the same thickness as a regular A4 sized paper.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I got my ThanoTech K11 in today. I'm really liking for form, fit & finish. It's also much easier to remove than the RhinoShield.

I'm not sure it'll have the protection and durability of the RhinoShield, but this is a top notch bumper.

14. borgsauce, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

It looks really well built but ive been reading up on issues with the K11 and cellphone reception getting affected especially in low coverage areas. I've returned my X-Doria bumper and instead went for the Apple leather case. How much did the K11 cost? I paid about $29 which seems alot for a bumper.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

$34 with shipping. They also give $10 for referrals, so if you're interested

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does that one have a metal component to it? If so, any noticeable effects on reception or anything like that (so far) that you've noticed?

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's probably 80% aluminum and 20% TPU.

I always have my iPhone 7 in field test mode and have seen zero antenna reception degradation.

18. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

What color is your phone and the bumper. I wanna see how it looks with silver and black :-/

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Matte black phone and black bumper. It looks slick. I also have an Orzly edge to edge screen protector on.

20. Geert76 macrumors 65816

since its 80% aluminium, doesnt it makes your iPhone way more slippier?

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's definitely less slippy than the phone itself and either equally or slightly less slippy than the RhinoShield. I'd say this is primarily due to the strategic placement and texture of the TPU.

I'm actually liking this a lot more than I was expecting to.

22. graphiteevo, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

graphiteevo macrumors regular

graphiteevo

I finally found the ultimate bumper for my 7 Plus! I purchased it from a storefront that I use to import Casio G-Shocks that are not for the US market.Anyways, I tried the Rhino CrashGuard (way too bulky and nearly impossible to remove), the ThanoTech 11 (poor build quality *powder coating chipped in several areas* weakened my signal, & the power button was difficult to press) & the CAZE was straight garbage.

So check it out! It even works with e2e tempered glass screen protectors. I have the K11 rear protector on for now till I could find a better solution.

The name of the bumper is the TOTUDESIGN EVOQUE SERIES. **Beware that there are knockoffs on fleabay
    so buyer beware!

On with the pics! Sorry for the lousy quality, taken w/ an iPad Air 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. borgsauce thread starter macrumors regular

borgsauce

I'm really liking the simplicity of the bumper. Is that aluminium or tpu?

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Interesting comparisons. Thanks for the comprehensive write up.

You thought the CrashGuard was too bulky? So your priorities are aesthetics over protection then?

I also have the K11. Is yours version 2 or the original? I know older versions had issues, but I haven't seen any of those issues you mentioned in v2. TBH, it sounds like you are just rehashing old arguments from those who didn't like the first iteration. If you actually do have the v2, have you contacted ThanoTech about your issues?

The bumper above does look quite nice, but it appears to offer 0 protection. Do they have any drop videos or make any rated protection claims?

25. blaine07 macrumors 68000

@willmtaylor, above you mention a $10 off Thanotech for referral or something? More info mate?