Business Week: iPhone SDK To Arrive 1-3 Weeks Late

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pookieinc, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Pookieinc macrumors member

BusinessWeek: iPhone SDK to arrive late
    Posted Feb 22nd 2008 10:15PM by Cory Bohon
    Filed under: Analysis / Opinion, iPod Family, Rumors, iPhone
    In a recent BusinessWeek blog post, writer Arik Hesseldahl says he has information from one of his sources that the long awaited iPhone SDK might well be delayed. According to the source, the delay could be anywhere from one to three weeks; with February drawing to a close and no announcement yet of an Apple event, this could very well be true.

The post goes on to say that last minute preparations are being made, and that the SDK release is a complex process (which tracks with our reporting as well). BusinessWeek has generally been respectable when it comes to sussing out Apple rumors (they did, in fact, break the rumor about the iPhone SDK a day before Steve Jobs announced it back in October). However, like with most rumors, there are always a wide variety of opinions.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/22/businessweek-iphone-sdk-to-arrive-late/

Lame! :(

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

if this ends up being true, I can see a huge uproar happening... If you thought the price break caused comotion, just wait.

3. nate94gt macrumors member

i doubt it.

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

This stinks if it is true because everyone has been waiting for quite a bit, now its gonna be another couple weeks away.

ChrisN

5. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

You guys can't believe this just because one person said it. Lets just hope that this information is false and that the SDK is released next week.

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If this is true I'm seriously wondering why Apple can't seem to get anything out on time anymore (Leopard, Apple TV Update, SDK, more to come!).

7. Whistleway macrumors 6502

8. Virtualball macrumors 6502

I'd rather have a fully working non-buggy SDK than an unfinished one, but still.... :(

9. donlphi macrumors 6502

donlphi

10. bug67 macrumors regular

bug67

Whatever

Take as long as needed to get it out. You think people would complain about it being released late? Just imagine the complaints if Apple were to release an on time but worthless and buggy p.o.s.

11. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Hey let's try to look at the bright side of things... hopefully if it is delayed, it will guarantee that it's free or extremely cheap for the inconvenience they might think they've caused... Just wishful thinking.

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Releasing an SDK with a show stopping bug instead of waiting a few weeks to fix it would be far worse. We've been waiting for the SDK for nearly 9 months now, a few more weeks is a drop in the bucket.

13. DuFFy macrumors regular

im really sick of every post someone commenting about how they want the mbp updated, its really annoying.

If this is true i will be very disappointed but it would seem confusing that if they have given it to some exclusive developers so that apps could be available on the release day that it would then have to be delayed because of it not being ready. But im aware there is no proof that anyone has gotten the SDK ahead of time...

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

A huge uproar heard only within the walls of MacRumors, with half of those posts of indignant protest coming from members who don't even have iPhones and the other half coming from people with other carriers who won't be able to use it anyway.

16. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Haha, I hear you... Apple stock is taking a beating, I was so tempted to sell at 200 but I just kept thinking to myself "Can this stock possibly go down?... Naaaaa."

I sold around 150 and bought stock in E*Trade, which has doubled in recent weeks so I made my money back.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Sort of typical of them, but it's for the better of the software, right?

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Perhaps I'm a bit confused about the inner workings. Will Apple simultaneously release a doZen of their own apps? If the SDK hasn't been released and new apps are contingent upon the SDK then it would be 20+ days before we see the first substantial app.

I pose these questions to you.

19. imwoblin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

APPL at $119
    But hey, Safari seems 'snappier'!

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I feel your loss....but as Steve Jobs said, who ever sticks with Apple till the end will be rewarded...

I hold to that promise, seeing as Apple has overcome all expectations and is a leading company beyond what Bill Gates and his crappy company are or will ever be (same thing goes to Dell)

C'mon stock miracle!!!

21. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

An iPhone SDK? Who cares about that anyway, its not like it will benefit anyone on here.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

Hopefully they learned something from the 1.1.3 release.
    That IS a buggy p.o.s.

23. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

WHAT???
    It better not get delayed!!!

Besides. In my opinion, the MBPs are actually a complete notebook. The only thing they'd be doing is upgrading to better performance hardware. Its not like the MBPs are missing the ability to install micrsoft word or missing a wireless card.

But the iPhones are not a complete smartphone (or even regular phone at that) unless the SDK comes out. (iChat? [note: those with iPhone know that none of the web IM work well because of how safari freezes the page when another tab is opened or an application...so no background IM...has to be currently. Has to be in the foreground] Flash?)

Its annoying listening to those wailing for updated MBPs. The update isnt going to be that big. Probably not even enough for an event.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh, right.

All the iPhone owners I know don't have a clue what an "SDK" is nor anything about a February deadline. They all seem to know that apps are coming to the iPhone "soon." That's it.

Only people on these sorts of boards will complain. People in the real world don't give a damn about a 2-3 weeks delay. They didn't even know when it was supposed to come out in the first place.