Buy Iphone 6 plus now or wait...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by valdigre, Apr 16, 2015.

1. valdigre macrumors member

What do you think, if you were to buy a phone now?

I currently use Xperia Z2 which I value for many things, battery life being one of the most important ones. I want to switch to iPhone as the sizes are at last right and besides - I have a mac mini and iPad so quite logical choice I guess...

I am in no rush although I'd like to change my phone.

Would you wait?

2. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Honestly, if you're not in any rush I would wait. I'm still using an iPhone 5 and wanted to get on the "S" cycle for my next iPhone. While there aren't many rumors about the next iPhone I think it would be worth it to wait over getting the 6/6+.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have a 6+ and I would wait. The next one should iron out all the issues.

4. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Wait, I have the lovely Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact and it just got Sony's Lollipop update, it looks really cool, I like it. So if your phone hasn't got the update yet then it soon will do, and it will keep your phone fresh until the next iPhone is launched so I would wait.

5. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

Probably less than 5 months. If you have something that you're happy with, certainly wait.

6. Matheew944 macrumors regular

7. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

I'd wait. I had a 6 and sold it, and am back on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but when they showed that the phone would have a protruding camera I didn't think it'd be a big deal. I absolutely hated it when I actually owned the phone. I can't believe it was as big of a deal for me as it was. I know Apple doesn't traditionally introduce design changes with the S series, but the home button changed for the 5S. They just bought that new camera technology recently so I'm hoping dearly they make the camera of the 6S flush.

Worth waiting for IMO. Even if they don't, there'll of course be improvements you'll miss out on if you buy the 6 now instead.

EDIT: I think you'll enjoy being able to make/receive calls/regular SMS on your iPad once you move to iPhone; one of my favourite features of iOS 8 (which I no longer enjoy, see above)!

8. valdigre thread starter macrumors member

Wow, so many voices of reason here. I guess it makes sense to wait and see what competition has to show before September, as well.

9. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I still use the 5s. I looked at the 6, and the back of the phone look stupid. The camera sticks out, and the case in the back look like a kid's underwear. I'm skipping the 6S, and hope the iPhone 7 will be something more appropriate.

If you don't believe me, look at the back of the iPhone 6, then look at this as an example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. valdigre thread starter macrumors member

Haha, ok. I also realized one thing. I would have to replace many of my current accessories, from usb charger/cables, phone holders to 299 bose noose cancelling headphones (because of the mic). When I summed this up I realized, that the switch may not be worth it for that reasons alone... :)

11. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Why do you have to switch the bose headphone? As long as it's a standard headphone, you can listen. You don't need a mic to listen to music.

I'm assuming you want to take advantage of being able to make phone calls using the same headphone you've got.

If that cable is replaceable, here's your best option: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/accessories/cables_and_cords/index.jsp

There's a cable for Samsung/Android, and there's another for Apple. This is the one you want: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=.../accessories/qc25_audiocable_acc.jsp&color=bl

12. valdigre thread starter macrumors member

But I need a mic to talk to people on a headset. This is my main headset and noise cancellation + mic was the reason alone. I don't want to hold my phone close to mouth when talking while on headset - destroys the purpose. Anyway, thanks. Food for thought.

13. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

For me there usually isn't much significant difference between the S cycles.

14. david91 macrumors regular

My advice to you is to wait a bit more, price will go down really much, galaxy lunched new models and this will couse price reduction :p

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

16. bigdaddy223 macrumors regular

If the headphones already have a mic.. why do you need to replace them...

smh

17. valdigre thread starter macrumors member

iPhone headsets are not compatible with windows phone or android headsets. Output is fine but headset mic does not work.

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Just wait if you have the power to be patience for iPhone 7. :apple:

19. valdigre thread starter macrumors member

I guess it makes sense, cpu and memory should be more battery efficient and hopefully even better camera :) October October...

20. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

It's April, so you're right at that point where it would probably be better to wait if you can. Apple's ramping up for the WWDC in June, and the rumor mill for the next iPhone will be running full speed at that point.

The 6/6 Plus did not include a huge step up in performance over the 5s, because the processor largely carried over the prior microarchitecture design. Efficiency or performance gains occurred largely because of a die shrink and tweaks to the memory interface, and the larger screen sizes absorbed a lot of those gains.

If the new iPhone follows past patterns, the processor will be redesigned with huge performance and/or efficiency gains. This will likely result in more tangible speed and performance gains over the 6/6 Plus and 5s. Plus, we don't yet know what new hardware features Apple will introduce. September's not that far away.

21. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I agree with everyone who says wait. You're not in a hurry and the new iteration is about 5 months away. The new phones will be air tight, and iOS 9 should run like a dream on them.

22. uid15 Suspended

uid15

If you have a Sony phone, ANY iPhone is an upgrade, even a 3G S :p

23. cnev3 macrumors 6502

iPhones come out every year. Waiting close to half a year for a yearly product seems a tad overkill.

24. valdigre thread starter macrumors member

Going from Sony to iPhone would be a downgrade in many aspects, actually, however I may be willing to sacrifice. We'll see what September brings. The only phone that is able to change my mind is a Xperia Z4 :)

25. A7llaman macrumors newbie

Buy now .. if you want to wait will wait for a lifetime because there are always new