Buyer's remorse for the 3Gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maflynn, Jun 20, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Anyone feeling some buyer's remorse over the phone, particularly the people (like me) who dropped a ton of $$ to buy the 32GB phone at ATT's special upgrade price, *cough* 500 bucks *cough*

Personally, I'm happy with the purchase especially because I'll be selling my 3G on ebay to help offset the excessive price.

Still with all of the hype, I wonder if some folks are left scratching their head and wondering if they made the right decision.

Chime in if so and why.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

No but I am going from my 2g to the 3GS.

3. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

No, not at all. I paid 399 for my 16GB and feel like it is one of the best purchases I've made.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

No.

I sold my 3G for $400, so I only paid $160 (including tax) for a 32GB phone. :) I'm happy. I would have been ecstatic if I were eligible for the $299 price point, but I made it work.

5. walnuts macrumors 6502

+1 from 2g to 3gs- no regrets so far. My only minor complaint that I didn't realize was that "improved battery life" was from 3g -> 3gs, not 2g->3gs. I was getting great battery life on my 2g and I can't tell how long I get yet with the 3gs.

6. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

It's a great phone, but it's not worth $500. You guys should have waited.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

Obviously, it's worth whatever people are willing to pay. It was worth at least $160 to me. ;)

8. rednano74 macrumors member

These smartphones are very expensive toys and that is why AT&T and all the other carriers pay to subsidize your phones. If you think the contract or upgraded price is too high, then shout at the companies that make the actual phones, not the carriers.

Everything (costs) that goes into making phones is not cheap though. Just look at the buy outright prices. Hell, 22% of the cost of goods and services alone is because of government regulation/taxes on those businesses...thanks big government! :eek:

I personally don't have a prob buying a subsidized phone and carrying out my contract. My 2 years is up in Jan 2011 but still I think AT&T allows an upgrade at the 20th month or Sept 2010 for me. Patients is a virtue my friends.

9. Resist macrumors 68030

I see on this forum all the time people saying they got $400 for their 3G iPhone yet when I check ebay, the end bids are luck to get $300.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Most of us don't have remorse as we didn't bother to upgrade from 3G to 3GS. The 3GS is a great phone, but not worth forking out a huge pile of case to upgrade from the almost as good 3G.

11. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

That's because they are lying.

12. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

Nope, and I'm even paying around $50 more per month than my old sprint plan. I have used my iPhone more in one day than I used my old phone in a month.

13. Vashti macrumors member

How are you guys getting $300 - $400 for a used 3G when people can buy a new one for $99?

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Not I.

I got a replacement 3G Wednesday and listed it on craigslist Thursday here in SoCal. I got many responses, most asking for a reduction to $300-350, but I got two who agreed to the $400 I asked for a day old white 3G with new accessories.

The first flaked, which was fine since he wanted me to unlock it, and the second met me at Home Depot with cash as requested. No unlock needed. I went from meeting him to the Apple Store with the cash and put the rest on my debit card.

I say all this knowing that I know no one an explanation, but I already had posted here that I was selling, and was trying to unlock. I even asked for help jailbreaking since I have a PPC Mac.

If you go to the completed listings on eBay, you'll see a wide range of BIN prices. Some people sold with high BINs, and others had to relist a few times, usually with success.

Obviously, the state of the phone plays a large part. And white is going for more than black. I lucked out on both counts.

1) Not without signing a two-year contract with AT&T.
    2) Not the 16GB version.

15. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is subjective, some people thing it's worth it some think it was worth it before getting it and then after the fact they may have second thoughts, hence my post. So far no one really chimed in and said they regretted the decision.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No remorse, plenty of joy. You get accustomed to the speed and new features very fast. You'd never want to go back ;)
    People's minimum standards for a smartphone will be raised a decent amount through using and seeing the iPhone 3GS.

17. ag55 macrumors regular

Im new to the iPhone and am 100% happy with my 16GB 3GS.
    If your feeling remorse maybe you should have gotten a 16GB one instead.

I was tempted for a 32GB, especially since my music library totals
    about 26GB, but im doing fine with the 16GB transferring about 8GB
    of my favourite music with the rest being streamed from time to time.

18. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I would imagine people who do not want the iphone contract?..

19. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Very slight remorse here but will quickly disappear when my 3G sells. Just off to list it now. Seem to be selling nicely in the Uk so I'm optimistic.

20. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

I am remorseful.....

Definitely feeling the remorse. I sold my beloved iPhone 3G on Thursday. The guy who bought it remarked it was pristine. Hard leather case, works every time.

Felt bad walking around without the trusty iPhone. Then went to AT&T Friday morning. After the pre folks got theirs, I got a 32GB. Left there at 10 am.

I feel remorse I didn't have the 3GS an hour earlier. :cool:

It's much more than an incremental upgrade. And 32GB, yeah that works.

21. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I was desperate for the new one. This morning I went to have a play at the apple store. I'll admit it runs much faster and the video is nice but I just could not justify the cost. I'll hold on to this 3g till next year.

22. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

It is worth $299 though.

23. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

about right...

As we got to launch day, the price was sliding. Normal market conditions but you have to consider the local markets where people want to feel, see and touch.

Got $350 here in NYC Thursday. And others were going for less. A day or two earlier it was $400.

Just normal market conditions is all. Last year on the 2g I had about 40 emails in a couple of hours. This year with the impending 3GS release, I had about a dozen.

Just normal market factors. $300 may be the average now. Many people were offering me that or a little more. But I held for my price and someone emerged, very professional and that was that.

We were both happy.

24. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

You guys don't know when you've got it good!

Here in the UK, it costs £538 (currently equivalent to over $880) to move from a 3g to a 32GB 3GS if you're still locked into a contract (and that's the case for the vast majority of 3G owners in the UK).

I still bought one though (along with a lot of other people), and I don't regret it!

25. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Absolutely not. Worth the upgrade price, especially with the sale of my 3G.

:D