Buyers remorse :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benwizkid, Sep 29, 2010.

1. benwizkid macrumors member

benwizkid

At the beginning of the month I purchased the 13" macbook pro. I am starting to have regrets just due to what I am getting for the money. My toshiba laptop I bought for 700 dollars last year has a better gpu than it (I play starcraft 2).The thing is I love the OS I love the look and feel of the computer. I just feel like i've been cheated.
    Do you ever feel this way? Any advice to get over it? Do you think mac laptops are worth the money?

Also sidenote should I buy applecare?
    Thanks guys

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well my friend, there's no way you should feel "cheated", you bought it. If you feel cheated then that means you didn't do your homework. Nobody cheated you. And also the worth of something is in the eye of the beholder. Is your Toshiba made of aluminum with strong build quality like your MBP? Does your Toshiba have an ambient light sensor with backlit keyboard and automatic screen brightness adjustment like the MBP? Does your Toshiba have as great of a keyboard with zero flex like the MBP? Does your Toshiba have a high contrast screen that doesn't wash out on the black level when you tilt it forward like the MBP?
    Does your Toshiba have a large glass trackpad with multi-touch gestures like the MBP? Does your Toshiba have a slot load optical drive like the MBP? Does your Toshiba have the Displayport connector that drives displays up 2550x1600 resolution like the MBP? Is your Toshiba fully integrated with Windows like the MBP is with OS X? Is your Toshiba fully supported to boot both OS X and Windows like the MBP?

If you can answer yes to all of those things and gaming and local specs are all you care about then the answer to your question is no, the MBP isn't worth the money and you should return it and get your money back. A Mac is a different animal than your common everyday PC.
    Applecare is worth every penny.

3. benwizkid thread starter macrumors member

benwizkid

The answer was no to all of those things actually. For using as a laptop the MBP is far superior to the toshiba. I do like to enjoy a game or two though. I do have the toshiba to do that still though. Whenever I buy a new laptop I could always go for the 15" one which would suit all of my gaming needs.

Thanks for you reply :)

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I have the new 15" Core i5 and if you think you'll be happier upgrading to that from the 13" you won't regret it. I love mine. :)

5. benwizkid thread starter macrumors member

benwizkid

Sadly it has been more than 14 days would apple do an exchange for one?

6. LocoStrange macrumors member

Its not considered buyers remorse if you didnt do your homework especially when it came down to windows vs mac. They both have their pros and cons and if you bought a mac expecting it to play games, then that is proof enough that you didnt do any research into the topic.

7. benwizkid thread starter macrumors member

benwizkid

I knew that it wouldn't when I purchased it. I just am now feeling the price hit.

8. LocoStrange macrumors member

Then why not just sell it and use the money towards another laptop that suites your needs more. If its only 14 days old, you shouldnt be taking a huge hit.

9. benwizkid thread starter macrumors member

benwizkid

I could do that though I think the quality and design of this computer has made me spoiled lol. I would go up to a 15" but I have my toshiba which plays the games I want so I think ill just stick with it. I mainly play games on consoles anyway but blizzard games I play for computer.

10. LocoStrange macrumors member

You are still going to have the same problem...Macs are not designed to play games. Another alternative is installing bootcamp which results in you installing windows, but the same problems arises.

Otherwise, you just do what you are doing now.... use this mac for every day usage and your toshiba for gaming needs

11. LocoStrange macrumors member

However to answer your question as a someone who has built, installed, fix, etc more windows computers than you could dream off.....

Do I feel the way you are describing? Not really. Whenever I buy desktops or laptops, I start with a price range. After I get a list of that, I decided the pros and cons of each based on my needs. My reasoning for switching over to Mac for the first time or at least getting a mbp was mainly because of battery life (I average 8-10 hours which is amazing), the weight/solid feel and the bigger trackpad. I knew I was not into games but if I was, my SZ Sony is still working perfectly.

Do I think Macs are worth the money? After a month of using it.... not really. If I can find another laptop that has an amazing battery life, huge trackpad and a light weight to it for a cheaper price, I would do it. However, I do have my brands that I stick with and the two fighters left was the Z Sony and the MBP....both about the same price but I liked how the MBP whereas the Sony just looked weird...as if they added stuff to it last minute but there was no room left so they just put things wherever it would fit.

12. mark28 macrumors 68000

Well, Apple is overpriced. But you should have known that before hand.

If you don't believe me that Apple is overpriced, try buying hardware from the Apple site like an external hard drive, it's a complete rip off as you can get it sometimes 50% cheaper from an other store for the exact same hardware.

13. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I dont have a job right now...
    And i still just went out and got the 13 mbp about a month ago.
    And it is worth it. :D

14. talkinghead macrumors member

talkinghead

IMHO, "Overpriced" is not the correct term to use. Expensive, maybe. However, you are buying "performance", and "performance" encompases so many things, hardware being just one of them. The OS, support, reliability, hassle, etc. all are part of performance.
    Keep a PC for games if you like, and keep the Mac for real work. ;)

15. deus ex machina macrumors regular

Your complaint is standard for Mac. They are beautifully designed and engineered with a wonderful OS, but the actual computer components are in a league with cheaper systems. I would not say that Apple is overpriced. Quality and support have a value, hence a cost.
    Think if the 13" as a personal luxury car, not a cheap street racer.

16. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

You do realize it costs money to design a MBP, right? Not to mention to develop and maintain OSX. Not only that, but Apple has some of the best customer care available.

I hardly think it's a "complete rip off" and if that's how you feel, then why did you buy one?

How bout getting a cheap Windows lappy and then having it go belly up within a year? There's your complete rip off.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The thing with the 13"MBP is that its a core2duo and so you're really paying a lot of money for prior generation chipsets. Personally, the performance of the 13" MBP is fine and the formfactor is much better (for me) then the 15" that I want to take the plunge on the 13"

As for the OP, I echo what others have stated, that as a consumer, its really on your shoulders to do your homework to see if the system configuration and price is within your needs. You certainly can find a cheaper laptop that has superior GPU/CPU but their are downsides with going there as well. Do your homework

18. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I have to agree. Unless you buy some crazy extended warranty from best buy or something you are stuck with no support. That one year warranty you have to ship it to the manufacturer and you know that takes forever because customer service is not high on there list. You ship it out and it lands in some service warehouse with who knows how many others. Then they screw you sometimes when they replace stuff. My girl had a toshiba and a HP go out on her. So she shipped them in for service when they went down and the toshiba came back with a new motherboard from a different model in it. The casing was the same and have the same serial and model number that we purchased. But when I went to run the restore CD that came with it I was told that disc was not from that model. So after a few days I found a program that told me what motherboard was in it and they had replaced it with another models board and had not said a word. Did not send a restore disc or anything. I called and they wanted me to buy the disc and pay shipping. I passed on that and then the laptop went down again 2 months later. She has a ASUS 17in now that she plays FFXIV on. The HP laptop came back beat all to hell and at that point I said my next computer will be a mac.

19. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

If you dont like it, return it or sell it and let someone else enjoy the great platform that is Apple, we dont want you anyway! :p

20. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I get into these discussion regularly with people. I can build/buy a Wintel box cheaper, faster, etc. for less. Or Linux...

It's not all about the specs. It's about "Productivity". I guarantee that for 90% of what you're doing, you'll NEVER notice the difference between a C2D 13.3" MBP vs. a Lenovo [or insert Wintel Machine here] i3 or i5. The Apple approach is the entire experience start - finish. The look, feel, responsiveness, etc. Not just a black plastic box stuffed with the fastest things...

If that's what you want, then fine...sell the MBP, take the $$$ and get a Best Buy Sunday Paper Special.

Just as a comparison; I used a leftover, 4 month old HP Elite Notebook at my job to hold me over. Had better processor, etc. I brought in my 3 year MB, C2D because I just couldn't do the Windows 7 thing; sorry...just don't like it. My C2D makes me far more productive, and response, speed, etc. is just as good as the day I bought it, and comparable to the HP for what I do. My new MBP 13.3" will be here next week, via the company. Can't wait...

21. erasr macrumors 6502

Yeah it's just because you've spent so much.

Forget how much you've spent and forget about worrying. Just enjoy what it does and it's benefits. I was like this the first time I bought a MBP and I sent it back but regretted doing that later in the year. I now have a 13" and it is seriously the best thing I have ever bought.

Enjoy it, use it as much as you can and it's more than capable for most things you will need it for.

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I just love my apple due to the fact when I call I get to speak to someone that speaks ENGLISH!

23. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

It's fine to feel cheated - Apple seriously rips you off when you buy their laptops. However, you get OS X - which is the only reason to buy a Mac anyway. Just pretend you bought a 600 dollar laptop with lame specs, but is made out of sturdy material and has neat features like a backlit keyboard, multitouch, etc. and paid 500 dollars for the spiffy operating system :)

24. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Jesus! Macs are not designed to play games, Macs are not designed to play games - imagine saying that in a whining 2 year old voice!

I play Starcraft 2, HL 2, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, Metro 2033 ALL on my Mac!!!! Sure you have to lower resolutions and quality on some games but it runs them just fine no problems.
    Sorry but it really gets on my ti*s when people state as a fact you cannot play games on a Mac when you clearly can.

As to Apple Care? Buy it and enjoy some of the industry's best customer support you can get, if you have any issues call them. They WILL help you.

I can use OSX for everything I do including some games, then I can bootcamp into Windows to play all my other games. The Mac OSX is stable and the unibody and glass covered screen are very durable. Plus it's a stunning design to look at and it has the Mag Safe!

Apple's products are in NO WAY overpriced, their memory is though. But otherwise you pay for what you get. I could name several 'games' laptops that cost considerably more then Apple's.

25. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

What mac do you play those games on?