Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I just loaded the GM of iOS 7 and this is my first day of playing w the new iOS. While there are aesthetic choices I don't love (too many animations, too much white) the only thing that really puzzles me is how unhelpful the new calendar app is: I loved the interface where I could see the entire month plus a listing of the days events below and that is gone. Now there's a lot of pressing and swiping just to see the days events, and if you want a list of events for the month/year you oddly have to press the search button to get there.

These seem like terrible choices. Or does everyone else like the new calendar?

What do you think the chances of Apple reverting to some of the old modes which were more helpful?

(Hope this hadn't been discussed too much, I did a search and didn't find anything)

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I just loaded the GM of iOS 7 and this is my first day of playing w the new iOS. While there are aesthetic choices I don't love (too many animations, too much white) the only thing that really puzzles me is how unhelpful the new calendar app is: I loved the interface where I could see the entire month plus a listing of the days events below and that is gone. Now there's a lot of pressing and swiping just to see the days events, and if you want a list of events for the month/year you oddly have to press the search button to get there.

What do you think the chances of Apple reverting to some of the old modes which were more helpful?

(Hope this hadn't been discussed too much, I did a search and didn't find anything)

No doubt it's been mentioned before. I agree with you. I think the calendar is a step back. I jumped to fantastical for my iOS calendar needs.

tgmn

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
I completely agree, it's very frustrating to use. My app should work for me, I shouldn't have to work for it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Definitely been discussed quite a bit since the days of beta 1, so most of the discussions happened early on in the beta process. Doesn't seem like Apple is going to change it really at this point, at least not until some point update (like 7.1 or 7.2), if even then, or perhaps a full update, like iOS 8.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I am just glad they added the dot below dates in month-view. They will not change it. If you don't like it use Fantastical or Cal.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
It's just sort if ironic because I've tried lots of calendar apps and I actually thought the stock calendar was the best for me, and now it's not.

I'm using Agenda 4 which has the month/days events layout but is a little ugly and clunky sometimes.

I would use sunrise which is the way I want my calendar to look but I use iCal and that is google cal only.

(And I feel silly spending $5 for fantastical to replace a free app that worked nicely)

Oh Apple! Calendar on iPhone didn't even have green felt, it already looked modern and mobile, don't know why they futzed w it

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Don't worry everyone. Next year they will show off the new calendar app that has an AMAZING NEW list of your days events in month view....Oh wait we used to have that......

Apple is known for taking away only to give back long down the road.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I agree, it's useless now (for me). I downloaded Tempo (free) and it seems like a good replacement for the old one.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
iOS 7 calendar is an abomination. It's the worst Apple app hands down. They should be embarrassed.

super burrito

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Naturally, the stock app I use the most is the one they screw up the most. ios6 cal allowed me to quickly determine which days were booked with what. Now I've got to click and scroll to see what I've got on any given day. Yes, there's the list view but ios6 calendar had that too. They've gone two steps back with ios7 calendar, what a bummer. :(

ciacorp

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012

thanks for posting, +1!!!!

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
It's just sort if ironic because I've tried lots of calendar apps and I actually thought the stock calendar was the best for me, and now it's not.

I'm using Agenda 4 which has the month/days events layout but is a little ugly and clunky sometimes.

I would use sunrise which is the way I want my calendar to look but I use iCal and that is google cal only.

(And I feel silly spending $5 for fantastical to replace a free app that worked nicely)

Oh Apple! Calendar on iPhone didn't even have green felt, it already looked modern and mobile, don't know why they futzed w it

You are not alone on this. I also used to love the calendar application, but as you today I installed iOS 7 for the first time — and the calendar it's a total crap. Really, the worst piece of software by Apple ever.

It makes me want to spit Ive's face.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
This and the reminders app, where some of the reasons I have reverted back to ios 6.

The interface and logic in some of the new changes is just stupid. While I like many of the new changes in ios 7, there are more issues that improvements.

Jonny should stick to hardware.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . I loved the interface where I could see the entire month plus a listing of the days events below and that is gone. Now there's a lot of pressing and swiping just to see the days events, and if you want a list of events for the month/year you oddly have to press the search button . . .

Agree entirely with the points above especially the loss of the scrollable panel for daily activity. Calendar is definitely a few steps backward in usability.

It was even worse in the early Betas as there were no dots to indicate activity in the month view.

I'd rather also that it removed the empty space timeslots from the notification center just having a scrollable appointments list. They could even remove these from the day view too, as I'm sure we can all work out that if it's not an appointment, it's free time.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Someone beat me to it but calanders 5 by readdle looks really interesting, especially the smart language entry thing.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Someone beat me to it but calanders 5 by readdle looks really interesting, especially the smart language entry thing.
I've purchased virtually every IOS calendar app and Calendars+ by Readdle (for iPhone and iPad) is the best I've found. It is a dramatic upgrade from the IOS calendar app. Grab the free version if you haven't already.

Why can't Apple spend a few bucks to purchase and integrate this app into IOS? It is great on my my personal iPhone, but my work iPhone doesn't allow app downloads, which forces me to stick with the abysmal IOS calendar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.