Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
Call of Duty 4 is written for windows and DirectX. It's then wrapped inside Transgaming's Cider virtualization engine, which maps directx and win32 calls to OpenGL and OS X, introducing CPU overhead and often loss of fidelity (e.g. pixel shaders).

Good to see Apple pawning cheap windows ports on their app store. And from its success, it sounds like consumers are eagerly shelling out $$ for degraded gameplay.

I don't know where you got your information, but it's wrong.

Call of Duty 4 is an Aspyr port, that means this is a 100% native Mac port as Aspyr ports everything from scratch. Aspyr isn't using Cider crap in any of their games.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I am surprised people are mad at Apple because of the lack of Mac gaming developers. The fact of the matter is that companies often lose money on PC -> Mac game ports because the market isn't there for Mac gaming.

Blaming Apple for the lack of new game titles is absurd. Apple doesn't make those games. And blaming Steam? Steam is a distribution service.

To be honest, there's probably more money in Mac gaming than PC gaming. Outside of Steam I'll bet more than 50% of PC gamers torrent their games and wouldn't dare spend one red cent on a game if they can find a way to get it free. This is not to say Mac users don't do this but there are PC users on several forums I've visited that admited they've illegally torrented Windows 7 and Starcraft 2.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This is not to say Mac users don't do this but there are PC users on several forums I've visited that admited they've illegally torrented Windows 7 and Starcraft 2.

How is this an indication that there's more money to make on Macs ? One of the Mac guys at work pirates everything and offers it to all of us. There's no difference in pirating between Mac and PC.

meatballs

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
on your plate
One issue with the two new releases may turn out to be pricing, with Call of Duty 4 going for $49.99 on the Mac App Store. While this is below the standard $54.99 list price for the game, boxed copies of the Mac version of the game are currently going for only $32.56 on Amazon, although some users may prefer the instant access and easy installation on multiple machines permitted with Mac App Store purchases. Civilization IV: Colonization is currently priced at its standard list price of $29.99 in the Mac App Store, but Aspyr itself is currently offering the title at a promo price of $23.96 through its own GameAgent store and Amazon is offering boxed copies for $19.27.

You raff you ruse!

bmastudent

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
I think the best solution - honestly - would be for Apple to force developers to use the App store. The App store (for i devices) has proven to be a great way to get your application out there, with free marketing and distribution. I don't see why any developer wouldn't be on board with this.

Probably because most developers don't believe apple deserves a 30% cut of their work? The app store does nothing to promote their products besides listing them next to thousands of other apps. That being said, who else but apple users would be okay with paying more for the same thing?

What would happen if Microsoft suddenly only allowed windows users to install programs that were bought through a microsoft store? Not only would developers cry bloody murder but it would certainly stir up the antitrust regulators. As Apple products becomes more popular and more dominant, the day becomes nearer their closed system can no longer exist in its current form.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Explain how I play my Steam bought Civilization IV/Colonization games without being online then ? :rolleyes:

There's one problem with your post : You have no clue what you're talking about. The Steam client can start in offline mode and you can play all your games offline, barring any kind of DRM that would require an online connection in the game itself.

Never happened to me.

You said I have no clue but then say if there is a DRM then it would require online connection.. Also you have to load into Steam client where I can load right from the game without jumping through another program.. That a waste of time just to play a game... Oh I do have a steam account because I sigh up when they where giving Portal free for Mac users.... After I got my free game I have not touch steam after that because I hate the steam client interface and program..

Last edited:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
They are suckers though. I was in an Apple Store in december and some dude bought a copy of civilization 4 which didn't include colonization for something like $60. It was $6.20 on steam at the time for mac and windows. WTF.

While I do agree that COD4 is outrageously expensive on the MAS as I got a physical copy brand new sealed for $25 a year ago, I will say that just because people don't shop around for the best deal on a game doesn't make them suckers. If that's the case then we all are suckers. Everybody has bought something at or above full retail that they could've gotten cheaper elsewhere but if you're not in tune with that type of product you won't care to look around.
Gaming geeks will look for the best deals, but not everybody is a gaming geek. Same as a person buying Louis Vuitton, the average person doesn't frequent LV forums to search for the best deals so they end up just paying for it where it's convenient.

katz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
You said I have no clue but then say if there is a DRM then it would require online connection.. Also you have to load into Steam client where I can load right from the game without jumping through another program.. That a waste of time just to play a game...

Well getting it through the app store is more of a waste. Why?

You get app store DRM.
You don't also get the better performing windows version.
You don't get the modifiability of the windows version
You pay much much more for less of a product. The entire collection of Civ4 was $6 on steam less than a month ago.

It takes 10 seconds to launch steam. You don't need to be online. You can even run the windows version in crossover which performs better than the mac version on lower specced macs.

But if you have money to burn, go ahead, no one gives a crap. I won't make the poor purchase choice.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You said I have no clue but then say if there is a DRM then it would require online connection..

If there is DRM in the game that requires an online connection, it's going to have that DRM no matter if it was bought on Steam or elsewhere. What you said was plainly wrong, Steam works perfectly in offline mode.

Also you have to load into Steam client where I can load right from the game without jumping through another program.. That a waste of time just to play a game...

Now you're just trying to justify yourself. Opening steam or browsing to the game in the finder (I'm not cluttering my dock with dozens of game icons) takes the same amount of time.

Look, just admit you were wrong and didn't know Steam worked in offline mode and be done with it. It happens.

You pay much much more for less of a product. The entire collection of Civ4 was $6 on steam less than a month ago.

Found my receipt :

This email message will serve as your receipt. You can also access your Purchase History online at any time.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
6.24 USD

6.24$ for Civ 4, 2 expansions and Colonization, for both Mac and Windows, which I can use on as many computers as I want, vs 29.99$ for just Colonization.

Way to foster good pricing there Apple with your 30%. :rolleyes:

PapaStu

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Weird how Apple promote a game that was originally released in November of 2007 and we all sit here in wonder... ooooh... ahhhh.

Seriously, now that Apple has a great delivery system for games, they need to work with developers to encourage development of games for OS X.

Why I moved away from Mac 'gaming' to my consoles so so so many years ago. With Modern Warfare, Activision is only 3 releases behind their newest CoD release! I can't wait to get my hands on CoD:WaW next year!

Those prices are hilarious too. The cost of a 'modern' game. I can't wait to see what Madden 07 will cost us when that shows up.

katz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
While I do agree that COD4 is outrageously expensive on the MAS as I got a physical copy brand new sealed for $25 a year ago, I will say that just because people don't shop around for the best deal on a game doesn't make them suckers. If that's the case then we all are suckers. Everybody has bought something at or above full retail that they could've gotten cheaper elsewhere but if you're not in tune with that type of product you won't care to look around.
Gaming geeks will look for the best deals, but not everybody is a gaming geek. Same as a person buying Louis Vuitton, the average person doesn't frequent LV forums to search for the best deals so they end up just paying for it where it's convenient.

Right because it's more convenient to drive to a store than to go online. Yes they are suckers if they are purchasing a product that is widely known to be a tenth of the price.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Right because it's more convenient to drive to a store than to go online. Yes they are suckers if they are purchasing a product that is widely known to be a tenth of the price.

Firstly, look at it this way, a kid tells his parents he wants a new video game for his PC/Mac. The parent agrees and drives to the store and buys it and or picks it up while they happen to be out in the streets shopping. That's the real world. The parent is not going to go online searching for websites that host online game downloads for a better price such as Steam, that's just not realistic.

Secondly, just what proof do have that COD4 is "widely known" to be 1/10th of the price? If it was so "widely known" the retailers wouldn't be trying to get a much higher price for it. Just remember, you as well as me as well as everyone else have been a "sucker" as you call it at one time or another when making purchases.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
If there is DRM in the game that requires an online connection, it's going to have that DRM no matter if it was bought on Steam or elsewhere. What you said was plainly wrong, Steam works perfectly in offline mode.

Now you're just trying to justify yourself. Opening steam or browsing to the game in the finder (I'm not cluttering my dock with dozens of game icons) takes the same amount of time.

Look, just admit you were wrong and didn't know Steam worked in offline mode and be done with it. It happens.

Found my receipt :

6.24$ for Civ 4, 2 expansions and Colonization, for both Mac and Windows, which I can use on as many computers as I want, vs 29.99$ for just Colonization.

Way to foster good pricing there Apple with your 30%. :rolleyes:

I did admit I was wrong about offline mode.. I just do not like the interface and running a program to play a game.. I like to be able to play straight from my computer then through a client program.. Now I did not say I would buy from App store if I can find it cheaper but yet still be able to download from some where else..

LinkMx

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Anybody know how Call of Duty would run on a current 15 inch i5 macbook pro with 4gb ram? What about on my 1920x1080 monitor? I had some issues playing Call of duty 1 through windows on the same machine, very laggy and almost unplayable on med/low settings. Is that the computer, or something wrong with drivers/windows?

thanks
-Clay

I´m playing MW2 at 720p with everything on high without any problems on my i5 MBP (on Windows obviously).

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
"Mac"? I do not know this word. How do I install this "Mac" thing you speak of onto my iPhone and iPad?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I did admit I was wrong about offline mode.. I just do not like the interface and running a program to play a game.. I like to be able to play straight from my computer then through a client program.. Now I did not say I would buy from App store if I can find it cheaper but yet still be able to download from some where else..

Then don't launch the games from the Steam client, just use the "Create a desktop Shortcut" option under the game's properties and dump that wherever you want.

Anything else you don't know about Steam ?

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Then don't launch the games from the Steam client, just use the "Create a desktop Shortcut" option under the game's properties and dump that wherever you want.

Anything else you don't know about Steam ?

Yea can I reinstall my games if I lose them do to reinstalling OSX?.. A long story..

twcbc

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
I am surprised people are mad at Apple because of the lack of Mac gaming developers. The fact of the matter is that companies often lose money on PC -> Mac game ports because the market isn't there for Mac gaming.

Blaming Apple for the lack of new game titles is absurd. Apple doesn't make those games. And blaming Steam? Steam is a distribution service.

Gaming problems in OSX come from poor driver/OpenGL support of Apple. Games usually left complicated task to GPU through OpenGL/DirectX. Apple's poor support for graphic driver and OpenGL make gaming performance in OSX is far behind Windows. To get best performance out of their hardware, OSX users have to switch to Windows when it comes to gaming. In such situation, port game to OSX is kind of wasting money from company's point of view.

Yes, it's not Apple to develop and release games. But it's the poor support of Apple to kill OSX gaming.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Yea can I reinstall my games if I lose them do to reinstalling OSX?.. A long story..

Actually, yes, although it requires a few more steps. You have to download and install steam, login, THEN you can download your games. As far as convenience is concerned, sure, the Mac App store is better, but if you want your game on both mac and PC, the app store wont cut it. But personally, I avoid PC gaming like the plague, because I can't stand using windows.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Duh.

You can download/install them on any computer you wish.

I guess I give them another try see if the interface is better and hopefully I can quit steam, because the last time it would not end (even tho I clicked quit) the last time I used it..

There not much for Mac on steam.. I got Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for Mac from a website that lets you buy and download to the Mac kind of like the Apple App Store... Steam needs to add more for Mac before I start to buy games from them...

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’d like to see Aspyr bring Quake Wars to the App Store. It’s my all-time favorite game, but that key disc is annoying! The Mac App Store does eliminate that particular pain.

(Beyond annoying, if and when I ever have an Air that can run it. I have no other use for a DVD drive while on the go, and at home my iMac is my Air’s DVD drive. I don’t plan to buy an external. But in future, with a different Air, I’d like to play QW while away from my iMac.)

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Civ IV wasn't their choice, 2KGames had the distribution rights for the digital version.

For Civ V, they had a difficult time deciding whether to do SteamPlay or not. I guess they decided that virtually no one who had bought the PC version would rebuy the game for the Mac, and the benefit for the consumer made it worth it. Also, many people bought the PC version of Civ V expecting a free Mac version later, considering Civ IV was SteamPlay.

If the game hadn't been SteamPlay, I would've probably bought the PC version and Aspyr wouldn't have seen any of my money.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-not-release-game-on-steam-that-has.html

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
I need some help!! Every time I try to get on the multiplayer it just says that it needs an internet connection for a one-time multiplayer authentication and I HAVE a perfect internet connection. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Is anyone else having this issue or is everyone else gaming it up online right without me? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.