Call of Duty 4 for Mac Now Available

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The big news amongst Mac gamers this past week was the release of Call of Duty 4 for the Mac. The sequel to the popular first-person shooter has been available on PCs and gaming consoles since November of 2007, but the Mac version has only just been released.
    Early copies of the game have been found to be faulty, causing activation problems. Physical copies can be obtained from Amazon or your local retailer. Aspyr is offering the game as a direct digital download from GameAgent.

The game requires an Intel Core 2 Duo Mac running at 2.0GHz. The game is not compatible with integrated video chipsets or PowerPC Macs. Apple recently highlighted the game on their website.

Article Link

2. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

It's a great game...but I've already played through it twice now on my Xbox 360.

I may pick this up anyway as while it's easy to go through the single player game using a game controller, there's just no substitute for a mouse/keyboard combo when playing multi-player.

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I will buy this just so I can play something decent on the mac half of my computer without running a VM.

4. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I have already purchased this on windows to play via bootcamp...

Even so, if a friend was to buy this, could he play a multiplayer game with pcs?

5. Jpoon macrumors 6502a

Jpoon

Meh. No big deal there. Everyone that wanted to play it already did, and does on their 360 or with a PC. I don't think this is going to be a big seller... hehe

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I've been trying to do just that for 3 days now to no avail. It seems the PC has an update patch to 1.6 but Aspyr shows no update for the Mac platform at this time.

7. ChocoboNL macrumors member

So, did they add anything, or enhanced it in some way? Or are we to get excited by a game that's almost a year old?
    Might sound a bit rude but I'm just curious. Never played the game, and that's not going to happen on my MacBook either. ^__^

8. bananas macrumors 6502

bananas

nice

This is good. I'm probably not going to buy a Mac for gaming, but it's good to see that there are more games released for OS X.

Maybe some day I have a Mac that's powerful enough to run these games.

9. Poll Smoker macrumors 6502a

Poll Smoker

10. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

ya I just picked this up for Mac and gave my dad my old PC version that was running through bootcamp and we both have been playing together just fine... only thing is I need to get a regular mouse with a right mouse button....

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think this is great to see this released for the mac. too bad it took longer to get released than the pc version, but better late than never

12. smirkingboy macrumors member

Same boat here. It plays extremely well in vista x64, I have all settings maxed out (octo mac pro 3 ghz, 8800gt). It would be interesting to see if it plays as well on the OS X side.

That's a question I'd like to know the answer to as well. God knows the PC servers need more players. After playing it for umpteen hours on my Xbox 360, where theres usually 50,000+ players (according to the in-game readout), I was really disappointed at how few players were around to play with on the PC side.

It's a worthwhile purchase. I really recommend it for anyone who hasn't already bought it on another platform - having bought it for 2 already I can't quite justify giving these people ANOTHER 60 bucks. Plus, having it at the ready to play when I'm trying to get work done would be wayyy too tempting.

However, if it is all Mac players, i.e. all noobs, that would probably be too tempting to pass up.... ;)

13. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

So is this a Cider port? which means I wouldn't even bother pirating it.

I can't stand these slow as hell cider ports.

14. Britanium macrumors member

really?

So I can't play this on my 1st Gen 2.0 CD MBP??? (that sucks!):(

15. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

The real question is, will this game (or any game like it) run halfway decently on any Macs beneath a $3,000 Mac Pro? Doubt it.

Note to Apple: better graphics processors in your consumer Macs please, or a consumer-priced tower. Thank you.

16. MenaceInc macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (6300i: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Finished it in veteran.. No need to play it anymore

17. Clive At Five macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

Apple's alleged newfound enthusiasm in gaming (first touted at the iMac debut with Trans-gaming's Cider technology) is nothing but a ruse. Apple's only real investment in gaming is in $1.99 iPhone games. Blocking out desktop gaming actually sells more Mac Pros to those who are too stubborn to use anything but a Mac.

By the way, the Cider port of GTA San Andreas (which I own, BTW) runs AWESOMELY on my $800 Hackintosh. Join us.

-Clive

18. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Great!!!

I have been sooooo waiting for this!!!!

Oh wait?!? No I haven't. I wonder if this is really even news to anyone out of their teens. :rolleyes:

Just wait till it hits iPhone. LOL

19. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

This is pretty gimp. The Mac servers wont run the same versions as the PC servers for the time being severely limiting who you can play with.

Why can't they do simultaneous releases or if you own the PC version do what Blizzard does and allow you to enter your key and download the Mac content? Don't make folks buy a game twice.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Call of Duty 5 is going to be released in a couple months, how about announcing a Mac release date for that instead? :rolleyes: If Apple is trying to make a big deal out of this, that's almost embarrasing. "Look how far behind the times we are!" :p ;) Everyone who is serious about this game has played it already, and has been playing it for the past year. I don't foresee sales being strong at all.

21. porky macrumors regular

That's what EVERYBODY wants. Can't we start a petition for that? So they will finally listen? :rolleyes:

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It runs great on my iMac 3.06Ghz

Smooth as silk. Although the Mac gets hot.

23. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Apple isn't making a big deal out of this at all. :rolleyes:

24. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No, it's not a cider port. Aspyr doesn't do those.

25. FakeWozniak macrumors 6502

FakeWozniak

Buzzkill

An Applestore guy told me it is wicked. Unfortunately he directed me to buy it for my PS3 instead. Sounded like a performance issue with the few machines this actually plays on.

Both my iMac and Mini won't support it. My only machine with the proper video card is formatted as case sensitive, so I couldn't play this if I wanted to.

Because they did such a bad job on the Mac version, I think I will spite them and boycott the PS3 version. Just my sentiment. :(

Minimum System Requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (Leopard) | Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo | CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz | Memory: 1 GB RAM Hard Disk Space: 8.0 GB + 1 GB Swap File | Video Card (ATI): Radeon X1600 | Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 7300 | Video Memory (VRam): 128 MB | Media Required: DVD-ROM | Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard. | Multiplayer Requirements: Internet (TCP/IP) or LAN (TCP/IP) play supported Internet plays requires broadband connection.

Supported Video cards: NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 7600, 8600, 8800, NVIDIA GeForce Quadro FX 4500, ATI Radeon X1600, X1900, HD 2400, HD 2600.

Recommended System Requirements:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4 | CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz | Video RAM: 256 MB

NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disk and virtual disk drives.
    NOTICE: Intel integrated video chipsets are not supported.
    NOTICE: Apple Intel Chipsets only. Power PC Processors (G4 and G5) are not supported.
    NOTICE: This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive).