Camera Roll album? Where did it go?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sap12690, Sep 18, 2014.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

Updated iPhone 5s to iOS 8 and I'm really confused about how all this photo app works now. My "camera roll" album is gone and now there's a new folder called "recent photos". The only way to see all my pics is to go over to the moments tab and see all of them separated by date and year, which really annoys me. How do I see my pics like when it was in my camera roll
    Album?

2. hamis92 macrumors 6502

I'm very annoyed by this change as well and based on discussions on other forums, we are not alone. I suggest sending feedback to let Apple know people are unhappy with how the new system works.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It's gone now. Because we liked it the way it was so much, Apple destroyed it.

5. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Annoying indeed. There isn't even a camera roll option when setting a wallpaper. You have to find the individual photo from moments and then set it from there.

6. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Aside from the fact that photos will be store Locally and in the Cloud...

Can one of you complainers explain to me how the Photos tab is any different than camera roll (I'll give you a hint....its not.)

It still shows all of your photos, and videos, in date order.....but instead of giant unorganized grid mess, they are now automatically organized, even searchable.

I would never, ever want it to go back to the way it was.....unlike most I don't lose my mind over change.

7. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...this is the very reason why I created individual Folders with all my wallpapers in there, in iOS 7. I now don't have to trawl through the 'Moments' (or even through the now non-existant Camera Roll) section as I have all my wallpapers in the custom folder.

:cool:

8. deviant macrumors 65816

Ever thought that there are more sources a photo can come from? I have my albums (precise albums) synced from a mac, and then a have my random photos still in camera roll cause i don't know where to put them (i don't create events for 2 photos).

9. trebb macrumors newbie

Well, your first "aside from the fact" is a huge deal to many. I want to know exactly which photos are stored in the cloud and exactly which photos aren't. Camera roll used to be stored on the phone, photo stream in the cloud.

Photos is different from camera roll, and you said exactly that in the paragraph after. Things are labelled by date and location. I honestly do not care about the date and location of every single one of my photos - it was much easier to just scroll through all of them at once.

10. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Thank you. Never spotted this option before.

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have about 16,000+ photos synced from my computer, that, because they are synced, are not editable or deletable or movable to other albums.

My camera roll was only about 100 photos that I haven't merged into my other photos on the computer or were important mics photo reminders (things I wanted to reference later). Now that camera roll is gone they are mixed in with my other 16k+ photos and I CAN NOT FIND THEM.

This is terrible.

12. Razeus macrumors 603

The new way is far superior.

People don't like their cheese moved. It's all this is.

13. dewthedru macrumors regular

could you be any more condescending? :rolleyes:

cheese moved? paying for a product and expecting it to function a certain way is different than individuals not adapting to changes in their customer base or employer's requirements.

i paid $800 for my phone. if i think the functionality has changed in a way that diminishes the usefulness, i am within my right to complain.

14. Razeus macrumors 603

That's your perception, which is clearly flawed. I paid $849 for my phone and I still don't see the problem. Photos still works on my device as it always had.

15. hamis92 macrumors 6502

How come not being able to see all and only photos taken with the device in one place is superior to what we had?

16. Razeus macrumors 603

Because now I don't have to worry about which device I took the photo on? If I'm on my iPad, I can see all my pictures whether or not I took them with the iPad or iPhone or wi-fi transferred them from my Fuji cameras. If I'm not mistaken, this is how iCloud has always worked since Photostream launched way back when.

The added bonus is that I don't have to manage 2 "camera rolls" in iOS 8 (the original Camera Roll and Photostream)! It's now one big stream of photos. This alone is how it's superior!

17. Jimrod macrumors 65816

I think that if Apple replaced all of your photos with pictures of steaming turds half of the people in this forum would defend it as better. They are the ones who give Apple users the "Sheep" moniker.

Fact is that many people were happy with, and used to, the way that photos in iOS worked, a change was unnecessary, if you're changing something for the sake of change then it would probably be best to give the option to go back to the old method for those that were happy with it - otherwise you risk posts like the MANY that have already come up.

Remember this forum represents a small number of Apple users, the majority of non-geeks won't even know there's an update to the operating system until their shiny new iPhone 6's arrive and then you'll have hundreds of thousands of people going "Where the **** are my photos??". Apple cause their own problems and the old "Just works" strap-line is rapidly becoming untrue to many users who are getting confused with these changes of functionality and terminology by Apple.

18. deviant macrumors 65816

What's superior about it being EXACTLY what it was before MINUS camera roll album? You are crazy.

19. Razeus macrumors 603

The fact I don't have to delete a photo from the camera roll AND from Photostream.

Sometimes I take a bunch of photos, then pick my best few, edit them, and export them back to the camera roll. All that gets uploaded to Photostream.
    Now to keep just the edited photos, I have to delete from the camera roll AND from Photostream. We no longer have to do this.

And if I screw up and get to fast deleting photos, i still have the Recently Deleted safety net to restore them. I'm not sure why people think the old way is better.

With all this complaining, I have yet still to see any blogs or news posts saying the new Photos app is messed up. Again, this is a who moved my cheese phenomenon.

20. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

I understand what they were trying to do but it still doesn't make sense to completely remove the album where you can see your photos together and not broken up.

21. deviant macrumors 65816

you don't understand. i just want an album that shows me only camera roll photos. i have A LOT of photos (events from iphoto) but i keep random photos in camera roll (i don't create events for 2 photos). now those photos are in between my nice and pretty events. not cool. that's all.

22. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

good for you!!

It has nothing to do with things changing....but when it doesn't work is why people are not understanding and not liking.

I've seen so many on this forum act like people are idiots bc we don't have the iCloud Photo library option on our devices.

It's not working as advertised and it's simply confusing from the get go. Now it's supposedly been pulled? But again, not a single review or news site has mentioned it. But now it's all about the cheese huh....get real.

I think there is mass confusion and even the reviewers don't see the problems bc they have everything enabled.

----------

exactly. if you go on a trip and all your photos are together but you save random pics on ur ipad that have nothing to do with the trip...they are all mixed together. i liked it separate also

23. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In the camera roll one could see ~24 images at a time in reverse added order. Scrolling through to find a picture was very quick and intuitive. Under the new system the thumbnails are too small to see, and most of the screen is wasted white space. It's nowhere near as nice to casually scroll through, and its far harder to find a specific photo. That same view has been available since iOS7 came out and I've never, ever used it.

24. shawndc1 macrumors regular

this sucks, i cant stand this update... this ---- is dumb, just delete whole damn photo app why dont you

25. Razeus macrumors 603

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/09/apple-drops-icloud-photo-library-from-ios-8.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/apple-demotes-icloud-photo-library-beta/

One from today saying Photos is much better:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/293717/ios-8-gives-photos-app-superpowers/

----------

I can see how that's a problem. Certainly not a deal breaker.

----------

And here's where you guys lose me. That's how it's always been with Photostream...

But I guess you're looking for a separate view??