Can I hope about Mac Pro update at August 7th

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amethyst, Jul 31, 2007.

  1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

    Aug 8, 2006
    Can I hope about mac pro update at August 7th

    'cause everyone thing the August 7th is iMac event

    so Can i hope it will be mac pro update too
  2. DZL macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    i don't know; but whatever the outcome of sept 7th, i'm getting a mac pro -

    if no update happens, i'll get the 2.66, and if a major update comes within 3-6 months, I'll sell that, and get the upgrade.

    august 7th is the absolute last day for me...

    good luck to all of us!!

  3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030


    Jan 10, 2007
    You're not the only one hoping, my friend.

    That'll be the Mac Pro's one year anniversary. If they don't update it, I think I'm just going to give up on the Mac Pro altogether. I'll try to figure out how to make a hackint0sh work or something. I'm not paying that company top dollar for year and a half old video cards, and 2006 prices for 2006 components. The Intel Xeon price cuts went into effect two days ago. They could do some really interesting things here if they want to. (2 gigs RAM standard, octo-cores in all configurations, 2007 video card options...)

    Question is......... will they?
  4. Firebar macrumors member

    Nov 16, 2005
    Well it would be a good time to reflect price drops on the Xeon chips I think.
    I wouldn't expect a new Mac Pro on tuesday, but I'd be pretty narked off if they don't update it a little - even if only with a price drop.

    It would look pretty bad when your high-end workstation has perhaps less RAM and a worse graphics card (as standard) than the new middle/high-end iMac. The new iMac may even have quad-core at the top end.
  5. stimpycat macrumors regular

    Jul 2, 2007
    This is a very valid point - the new iMacs will undoubtably be more powerful and as a result will close the gap considerably between those and the Mac Pros - add the new hardware that will be in the iMac and the Mac Pros will be even more outdated come the 7th than they are now with a year free of updates.

    So I really think they will update the Mac Pro somewhat ad perhaps even reduce the cost. It will be done quietly though I assume all effort will be in the iMac

    Of course- they could announce that they are dropping the Mac Pro and Mac Mini and instead having a range of iMacs covering low end through to high end users. :)

    Like the guys above - im buying a Mac Pro or something on the 7th
  6. rumbletum macrumors regular

    Apr 2, 2005
    Wolverhampton, UK
    I was planning to order a Mac Pro today, but dont know what to do now. Think I'm going to wait, but I'm just too impatient!!!
  7. AJClayton macrumors 6502


    Jan 9, 2007
    Dorset, England
    There have been many "discussions" on this forum over the last year with just as many people saying "wait" as saying "buy now". I was going to buy my Pro in October 2006 and eventually gave in and bought one in April 2007 after expecting updates or speed bumps/increased specs on lots of occasions that just never happened.

    If I was still waiting, I'd hold off until August 7th - just in case, if only to see if one of the new iMacs would do the job for me instead. But I'll make the point again that has been made plenty of times before about Pro updates. The current line up is super fast, very well constructed and will last for years. Any Pro update will be welcome, of course, but the current spec is so good that very few people are likely to notice any day to day benefit from the improvements whatever they are.

    My advice (for what it's worth) is to wait until Tuesday (if you must) and then just go ahead and buy that dream machine - you won't regret it :)
  8. ob81 macrumors 65816


    Jun 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach
    I have a slight doubt that they would release the iMac, AND the Mac Pro at the same time. Its possible though. I would bet on the Mac Pro coming in Sept time-frame though.
  9. rumbletum macrumors regular

    Apr 2, 2005
    Wolverhampton, UK
    I think I'm going to agree with you, waiting 6 more days wont kill me - can't wait to get the machine tho, new one or current one!
  10. suneohair macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2006
    Hey everyone! I'm back! I hope Aug. 7th brings something. I have been tracking the 2.66Ghz Clovertown at Newegg. Monday it was over $1000, $899 yesterday and $849 today. I imagine it will continue to come day as newegg recoups their costs. The 2.0Ghz is down to under $400 as well.

    2.66 Clovertown

    2.0 Clovertown

    With Apple of course buying more than 1000 I would assume, that means they would get them for at least $744 a chip. Their relationship with Intel may allow them to get them lower as well. (2.66 Woodcrest being an example of that). Of course, there haven't been any cuts on Woodcrests, not much yet at least. But I can't see why Apple wouldn't grab those Clovertowns and have an all eight core line though.

    Aug. 7th or not. Most of you know I am waiting til it happens. They can bring Prince in to sing about the new iMac. As long as they slip in some Mac Pro updates. I don't mind. We will see of course. But I have some hope :D

    My hope/prediction:
    All eight-core line (2.0, 2.66, and 3.0 Clovertowns)
    2GB Standard
    Current GPUs
    500GB Standard
  11. fredr500 macrumors regular

    Apr 12, 2007
    No choice

    I don't think I have a choice. We have a tax-free weekend this weekend, so if I order my pro I will save around $250. I'll ask them to not ship until Wednesday at the earliest so I can cancel if needed.

    So much for waiting.

  12. superlatic macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I both hope and think you are right here, think the mac pros will get a bump on the quiet.

    Think it is pretty much a given we will see all in 1 desktops in 20 and 24 inch enclosures, posssibly aluminium. Whether they still carry the name imac or not is another thing.

    Incidentally, which GPU's does everyone think will find their way into the mac pro? I would go for the nvidia 8500 or the 8600gt as the low end card with 256mb Vram, but unsure re others
  13. LeviG macrumors 65816

    Nov 6, 2006
    Norfolk, UK
    low end, 8800GTS 320mb vram or an ati 2900xt although more than likely an 8500GT. High end I would like to see a 4600/5600 quadro and if we're really lucky a mid range 3d workstation card would be nice :)
  14. Maui macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2007
    The right time to buy a computer is when you need it. I am not one of those who say "wait, wait, wait," usually, but with a guarantee that something is coming next week, unless you really need a system right now, you'd be crazy not to wait.

    Waiting is tough. Buy a good book or a case of wodka.
  15. DZL macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    where do you live??
  16. ziwi macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    If that comes to pass then it is a strange gap in the lineup - 8 cores in the Pros, 2 cores in the rest basically (except mini) - is there no room for a quad core out there? - Seems like Apple uses Xeons or mobile chips and never uses the standard desktop chip - perhaps that is the real clue and either the iMac will be using a single quad core and mini gets a dual...who knows - I sure don't but need/want something soon.
  17. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    Really depends on the power levels, assuming Apple want to keep promoting the option of 8 displays from one Mac Pro, then I'd expect the 7300GT to be replaced with the 8300GT. I'd be suprised if the FX 4500 remained, though depends on whether they have the FX 4600 drivers ready for OSX. Mid range I am expecting the 2900XT, but I would like to see 8800GTS 320MB, 640mb and 8800GTX cards as options.

    Ideally I think something like this (see below) would look good to buyers and would appease most of the complaints people have. Though in the end Apple can get away with lacking options, so may not have the incentive to offer them.

    $2,500 base price.

    2.00Ghz 2xQuad Core - $300
    2.66Ghz 2xQuad Core
    3.00Ghz 2xQuad Core + $1000

    2GB FB-DIMM 2x1GB 667MHz
    250GB HD

    256MB 8300GT
    320MB 8800GTS + $200
    640MB 8800GTS + $300
    768MB 8800GTX + $500
    768MB Quadro FX 4600 + $1650
  18. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    Yes a huge gap, but I can see Apple loving the difference as a way to divide consumers from "professionals" even more with their sometimes odd mentality towards users.
  19. fredr500 macrumors regular

    Apr 12, 2007
    North Carolina, but several states have this (from

    Sales Tax Holidays: The following states are expected to have a "sales tax holiday" this week or next week, meaning applicable items are sold tax-free for just those days.

    * Alabama - August 3 through August 5: Clothing under $100, School Supplies under $50, Books under $30, and computers under $750.
    * Connecticut - August 19 through August 25: Clothing under $300, and Shoes under $300
    * Florida - August 4 through August 13: Clothing under $50, Books under $50, School Supplies under $10
    * Georgia - August 2 through August 5: Clothing under $100, Computers/computer equipment under $1500, School Supplies under $20, Energy Efficient Appliances under $1500
    * Iowa - August 3 and August 4: Clothing under $100, Shoes under $100.
    * Louisiana - August 3 and August 4: The first $2,500 of the purchase price of most individual items of tangible personal property for non-business use (not vehicles and meals).
    * Massachusetts - August 11 and August 12: Most purchases statewide of non-business non-vehicle retail sales of tangible personal property with a single item price of less than $2,500 (includes furniture, computers, tools, appliances, electronics, decor, lighting, etc.)
    * Missouri - August 3 through August 5: Clothing under $100, School Supplies under $50, Computer Software under $350, Computers and some computer related equipment under $3500. Note, some cities may choose not to participate.
    * New Mexico - August 3 through August 5: Clothing under $100, Shoes under $100, School Supplies under $15, Computers under $1000, Computer Equipment under $500..
    * North Carolina - August 3 through August 5: Clothing, Footwear, and School Supplies under $100, Sports and Recreation Equipment under $50, Computers under $3500, Computer Equipment under $250.
    * Oklahoma - August 3 through August 5: Clothes and Shoes under $100.
    * South Carolina - August 3 through August 5: Clothing, Accessories, Footwear, School Supplies, Computers, Computer Equipment.
    * Tennessee - August 3 through August 5: Clothing under $100, School Supplies under $100, Computers under $1500
    * Texas - August 17 through August 19: Clothing & Footwear under $100.
    * Virgina - August 3 through August 5: Clothing & Footwear under $100, School Supplies under $20
    * Washington DC - August 4 through August 12: Clothing, Accessories, Shoes, and School Supplies under $100.

    Sales tax holidays which will occur this week: AL, FL, GA, IA, LA, MO, NM, NC, OK, SC, TN, VA, DC.

    Sales tax holidays are meant to encourage shopping at local stores by waiving sales tax on eligible items. Many stores may combine this savings with extra sales and incentives. Retail stores which sell applicable products will be crowded. If you buy eligible items online during the sales tax holiday, and if the online store adds sales tax to the item, call their customer service department to request a refund on the tax.

    The sales tax holiday also applies to online purchases of eligible items. If an online store charges you sales tax during the sales tax holiday, and if the item(s) are eligible for the sales tax holiday, call the online store's customer service and request a credit on the sales tax.
  20. superlatic macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    thought the lowest model that nvidia offered was the 8400GS???
  21. DZL macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2007
    Pasadena, CA

    well, you could always buy from these guys -


    tax-free, everyday!
  22. suneohair macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2006
    Maybe he meant 8500GT?
  23. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    It's not out yet, Nvidia held it back to see what AMD did first. Honestly I hope they go for the 8500GT at least as the stock card because the 8300GT's proposed specs don't look great, but Apple can be odd at times.
  24. Topper macrumors 65816


    Jun 17, 2007
    Come to mama! :D
  25. Azzurri15 macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2007
    I have a 8800GTX in my PC; awesome card.

Share This Page