Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
If apple want to keep Quad-Core configuration as 'Entry Level Mac Pro'
by using only one Intel 'Clovertown' Xeon

do you think what price will be.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
about standart mac pro graphics card I think at least apple must use
nVidia GeForce 8600 GT with 256 MB GDDR3 'cause if apple use the other
that have'n performance to match 8600GT in MBP , it looks non sense

My Expectation Standart Configuration
2*Intel 'CLOVERTOWN' xeon 2.66 GHz
2 GB FB-Dimm
nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB
SuperDrive
500 GB HDD

Option
Cpus:
1*Quad Core 3.0 GHz
2*Quad-Core 2.33 , 2.66 , 3.0 GHz

GPUs:
nVidia:
8600 GT 256 MB
8800 GTX 512 MB
Quadro FX 4600 768MB
ATI :
X2900XT 768 MB

Other:
Blu-Ray Drive

tobytoby

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
North-east UK
Per the thread title " Can I hope about Mac Pro update at August 7th" - I'm certainly hoping!! :)

An aside, but does anyone know how long updates (presumably different if it's a speed-bump vs. a re-design) take to hit the UK? What about Apple stores in the UK - do they typically have the new machines ready to go?

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
I remember when the intel iMac & MPB were released there was a 6-8 week lead time, the same as everywhere else.

I'm pretty sure with recent speed bumps they've had them soonish, and with the Apple TV it was a few days to a week after the US.

If you're buying online tho from the UK, there shouldnt be much difference as they ship from overseas anyway IME

tobytoby

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
North-east UK
I remember when the intel iMac & MPB were released there was a 6-8 week lead time, the same as everywhere else.

I'm pretty sure with recent speed bumps they've had them soonish, and with the Apple TV it was a few days to a week after the US.

If you're buying online tho from the UK, there shouldnt be much difference as they ship from overseas anyway IME

Thanks - that's useful info rumbletum. I was just thinking the Apple store might be quicker, but it sounds like that may not be the case. In any event, I desperately need a new computer, and waiting until next Tuesday is my absolute limit for ordering. If there is a long lead time I might see if they discount the existing Mac Pro line up (assuming that they do update the line, which we don't yet know I guess).

No idea if I could combine a discount at an Apple store with the UK HE discount (which I gather from other threads can be used at the store, although employees often don't know it), but if I could get the MP with a double-discount and get it straight away I'd go for it!! Maybe wishful thinking though! :)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Wouldn't it be odd if Apple released a new iMac with fancy new keyboard - and did nothing to update the Mac Pro?

At the very least they'll include the new keyboard (and mouse?)... but then, if they're including that - they may as well throw in a newer video card and larger hard drive. :p I wouldn't mind 8-cores either.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I am glad I don't have your outlook.

No matter what "year" the video cards are, the Mac Pro is still an awesome machine. What a commentary it is on the spoiled, entitled mac culture that this kind of attitude is so prevelant.

You really want a Mac Pro, but can't stand the "2006" hardware, so you complain and complain, essentially being angry with the company you love so much.

If you want a 2007 video card, buy one and put it in yourself. Then use the 7300 that came with it as a secondary display, or do you need top 3d performance on your 3rd and 4th monitors? Everything else is fine.

You guys are starting to sound like Paris Hilton at her 10 year old birthday. "But daddy, I didn't WANT a pony!!"

Your logic is so far off base, I don't even know where to begin. I'm sure I can find an old Dell that needs replacing in the office. You can buy it off me for the price we paid for it new 2 years ago. Then you can spend more money and upgrade everything that you should have gotten in the first place. Good deal right!?

So we're supposed to just continue paying last years prices on last years hardware, just because we like a company? This is the consumer electronics industry, and the worst kind for value (computers). Seriously, give it a rest with the Apple can do no wrong nonsense.

The MacPro hardware is out of date with current pricing and some specific components , especially the video card. End of story.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Overcast, it has been said again and again by myself and others. Your post was great, but they won't get it. Don't try too hard because they will come back with the same weak argument everytime. Thanks for the support though. You are appreciated by quite a few here :D:apple:

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Overcast, it has been said again and again by myself and others. Your post was great, but they won't get it. Don't try too hard because they will come back with the same weak argument everytime. Thanks for the support though. You are appreciated by quite a few here :D:apple:

Yeah... you'd think they'd have something better to do.

August 7th looks more and more like it's going to have some mac pro updates. I can't wait to replace this X1900 with something better.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah... you'd think they'd have something better to do.

August 7th looks more and more like it's going to have some mac pro updates. I can't wait to replace this X1900 with something better.

I'm with you. I just ordered my books for next semester and paying all my bills this weekend, so I will be ready to focus and hopefully order on Tuesday with no worries :p

Although, I am undecided. I picked up a gift card woth $2176 on MR a few weeks ago. I got it for $1900. So with my ADC discount, the gift covers it almost exactly ($2148 for current base with bluetooth). So I pay $1900 flat for my base Mac Pro. I am thinking I should upgrade to the X1900XT replacement, I don't know though. I have the money set aside for 4GB of RAM already, which when they bump it up to 2GB, I will have 6GB :p Maybe instead of upgrading the card I will get some more RAM while it is still cheap, assuming Apple will still be using DDR2 FB-DIMMs.

Oh well, lets not get ahead of myself! We need the update first!

Im pretty excited. I am not getting my hopes up though and am prepared to wait til they update. My DP G4 500 is a trooper!

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
Thanks - that's useful info rumbletum. I was just thinking the Apple store might be quicker, but it sounds like that may not be the case. In any event, I desperately need a new computer, and waiting until next Tuesday is my absolute limit for ordering. If there is a long lead time I might see if they discount the existing Mac Pro line up (assuming that they do update the line, which we don't yet know I guess).

No idea if I could combine a discount at an Apple store with the UK HE discount (which I gather from other threads can be used at the store, although employees often don't know it), but if I could get the MP with a double-discount and get it straight away I'd go for it!! Maybe wishful thinking though! :)

I feel your pain, I'm in pretty much the same situation, Tuesday is my limit for waiting which means there'll probably be a Mac Pro update on Wednesday.

tobytoby

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
North-east UK
I feel your pain, I'm in pretty much the same situation, Tuesday is my limit for waiting which means there'll probably be a Mac Pro update on Wednesday.

Pleased I'm not the only one rumbletum. :) In fact, yesterday I got so annoyed with my 5 1/2 year old Windows machine and its snail-like pace I almost pushed the button on a new Mac Pro. However, I got a grip of myself and reasoned I might as well take another week!

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
just curious...how did u get that gift card..

read here for my explanation of my question:
http://techsbytes.blogspot.com/

just curious considering its coincidentally around the same amount.....

Well they aren't the same amount, and I purchased it from taylorwildson here on MR a few weeks ago. Sorry about what happened to you though...

Also, may I suggest you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, present your case to them with every detail and phone call you have made. Something will be done.

DZL

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
Pleased I'm not the only one rumbletum. :) In fact, yesterday I got so annoyed with my 5 1/2 year old Windows machine and its snail-like pace I almost pushed the button on a new Mac Pro. However, I got a grip of myself and reasoned I might as well take another week!

i'm in on this, as well - august 7th, i'm buying.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Wouldn't it be odd if Apple released a new iMac with fancy new keyboard - and did nothing to update the Mac Pro?

No it wouldn't be odd. The iMac is basically a desktop version of a laptop which is different than the Mac Pro, which is a true desktop. My guess is that at the August 7th event, Apple will introduce a newly designed iMac and that's it. If you review the MacRumor's Buyers Guide https://buyersguide.macrumors.com// you'll notice the iMac (NOT the Mac Pro) is LONG overdue for an update.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed people on this forum.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
No it wouldn't be odd. The iMac is basically a desktop version of a laptop which is different than the Mac Pro, which is a true desktop. My guess is that at the August 7th event, Apple will introduce a newly designed iMac and that's it. If you review the MacRumor's Buyers Guide https://buyersguide.macrumors.com// you'll notice the iMac (NOT the Mac Pro) is LONG overdue for an update.

The Guide also notes that only the eight-core option was added. The base configuration of the Mac Pro has not been updated with new hardware since its release. I don't know whats going to happen. But at a year without updates... that is a bit much.

And, the guide is not infallible.

If they don't update. Oh well. Will I be disappointed? Oh yeah. But, I have already prepared myself to wait til it happens. And I think the others who are waiting have done the same.

But meh. Heres to hoping!

tobytoby

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
North-east UK

I may be disappointed, but I can still live in hope :)

One thought I have is that although the 3.0 8-core was introduced a few months back, the 2.0 and 2.66 are still the same as at launch (NB - someone more knowledgeable than me, correct me if I'm wrong!). Also, is the graphics card still the same as at launch?

The Guide also notes that only the eight-core option was added. The base configuration of the Mac Pro has not been updated with new hardware since its release. I don't know whats going to happen. But at a year without updates... that is a bit much.

You beat me to posting that thought! :)

And, the guide is not infallible.

If they don't update. Oh well. Will I be disappointed? Oh yeah. But, I have already prepared myself to wait til it happens. And I think the others who are waiting have done the same.

But meh. Heres to hoping!

Yes, I've done the same thinking as you, and I am prepared to be disappointed. If nothing emerges on Tuesday then I'll still order a MP on Wednesday.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
blame intel for not updating their stuff , not apple

$100 difference retail, even less when buying 1000. And Apple seems to have some pull in getting them cheaper when you look at the current 2.66, the CPUs make up more than 50% of the cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117111

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117090

Later:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-quad-Harpertown,news-25727.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Harpertown.22_.28standard-voltage.2C_45_nm.29

That is just Intel. nVidia and ATI have new GPUs, the MBP has one. FB-DIMMs and hard drives are cheaper.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Off-topic/personal comments have been deleted from this thread.

Feel free to disagree with one another, but doing so in an insulting manner will result in further deleted posts and/or being suspended from the site.

If you have an issue with a post(er), please use the report posts button [
report.gif
] to bring it to the moderating staff's attention. Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.