Can I use my iphone to tether ipad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by byulasfjazz, Jan 28, 2010.

1. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

I currently have the iphone 3gs and I tether it to my laptop and other random computers.... my question is

Do you think I will have to buy the 3G version of the IPAD or can i get the wireless version and tether my iphone to it... cause if I hear correctly I might be able to remove my existing sim card and use it in the IPAD.. if this were true.. ANNOYING!! thers no way i want to take that out back and forth... but if it isnt true.. the tether option is pretty convienient ..

any thoughts?

2. specops macrumors regular

iphone uses normal sim
    ipad uses new micro sim (half the size nobody uses this yet)

so no

3. byulasfjazz thread starter macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

That does help the question but not answer it...

will I be able to tether?

4. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Do some research or listen to the event again: While the news of Apple's iPadSIM -- that tiny card that holds your contact info and account information that you find in your GSM handset -- is a 15 x 25mm plastic card whereas the new Micro SIM (also known as a 3FF SIM) is a diminutive 12 x 15mm, about 52% smaller. Needless to say, it's not physically compatible with your current phone. having 3G wasn't exactly a surprise, the move to a new format for the SIM certainly was.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipads-micro-sim-explained/

5. byulasfjazz thread starter macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

YEs you guys are brilliant... but um not at answering questions..
    DO you think i will be able to tether.???

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, you can't tether your iPhone (using any feature that's been announced).

The SIM has nothing to do with this.

7. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

Depends on your carrier. I would think that you should be able to bluetooth tether. Here in the US AT&T has yet to enable tethering so if you are here and use them, then no.

8. byulasfjazz thread starter macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

Let me restate everything..

I have been tethering with my iphone for over 3 months... that is my main source of internet... thru the usb cable...

i just wanted someone to say yes it might be possible and a reason why.. or NO its not remotely possible.. and why

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Yes you will be able to tether, but not with the usb cable. You will use the new multi touch air gestures shown in the demo yesterday. Place the iphone and ipad next to each other. Turn on the wifi of each and wave your index and middle finger over both and say "tehter".

May the force be with you.

10. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

Know one knows for sure until they have one. I doubt you will be able to USB tether because the iPad would have to have software to look to the USB for internet.

Same for Bluetooth, they have to have the right bluetooth stack for it to work.

11. byulasfjazz thread starter macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

hmmm good point

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Honestly, here is your answer:

1. Theoretically it could be done.

2. We don't know or can't tell yet, we need an actual iPad to know.

13. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak your iPhone, and download mywi. Google it to learn more. I've never actually used it cause I just heard about it yesterday. Basically it's supposed to turn your iPhone into a wifi hot spot. I'd imagine you would be able to join that wifi network with the iPad.

14. transam7816 macrumors regular

15. byulasfjazz thread starter macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

hmm I will try that see how it goes ... thanks

16. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Very true and I have done this via wifi on a laptop. Basically (if the iPad allows this) it should theoretically join to your mock wifi network created on a jailbroken iPhone using cydia apps, and basically tunnel through to the 3g internet.

17. tofudc5 macrumors member

i do this too with my iphone, it works great, but it goes drain the power of the iphone quite quickly.

so if you are planning on doing this, you'll need to find out if the iPhone can be charged through the iPad, because when i do this i have my iphone connected to my mbp at all times.

18. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Just jailbreak and install MyWi. It creates a personal wifi network for you. Then you connect the iPad to that network, and voila tethering.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a guess but I also think it would work. If any computer can connect to the iphone once it uses MyWi or PDANet then most likelly the ipad would also.
    Im not sure about doing it thru USB, it would have to be enabled on the Ipad side also and I highly doubt that. My guess would be thru bluetooth or Mywi wifi connection most likelly.

20. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

21. jfox00 macrumors member

MyWi works

As mentioned MyWi will almost certainly work. Something I will be interested in testing would be the ability to use bluetooth to tether from the iPhone to the iPad. Bluetooth uses significantly less battery power than WiFi. Currently, I use bluetooth to tether my iPhone to my laptop, and the battery life is quite good.

22. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well PDANet wouldn't work, as you need a computer to create the WiFi network, but MyWi would work fine. I've used it to tether my iPhone with a friends iPod touch, and it worked fine, so it should work with an iPad too.

23. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

As others have said, jail break your iphone and use mywi

or tether your iphone to your mac(assuming you use mac) using the moethod you do now and then start network sharing. This way you'll be able to create a wifi network off your mac.

24. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

It would be pretty pointless to tether with the mac, and have an iPad with you too :p

25. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    have any links on "how to"? i'll search the forum for this and google, but figured you might have a link.......