Can this iMac run World of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by INeedHelp54, May 15, 2016.

1. INeedHelp54 macrumors newbie

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The game will run, though I don't think very satisfactory. That model has an integrated GPU, and a slow hard drive.

I'm not familiar with WOW, but given the fact that iMacs are not great gaming rigs, and this model is not the highest end of the iMacs, I'm fairly sure it won't run it too well.

3. INeedHelp54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think the 2.8 GHz upgrade would make a difference? Thanks for your input

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I could be wrong, but it is a VERY big difference. You compare a processor with laptop speeds to one with desktop speeds.

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

World of Warcraft isn't an overly demanding game so either will run it, but on the 1.6 GHz model you'll probably have to use fairly low settings. You should be able to run it with higher setting on the 2.8 Ghz model as aside from the faster CPU it also has a better GPU (still integrated though).

6. INeedHelp54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, so simply put, the 2.8 GHz is faster and better in general, not only for World of Warcraft, than the 1.6 one? I'm figuring it's a thousand dollar investment, might as well buy a decent one being the 2.8.

7. chscag macrumors 68020

chscag

This is just my opinion.... but if you're going to buy an iMac and want to play games, buy the low end 27" retina 5K model which has discrete graphics and upgradeable memory. The 21.5" models are not upgradeable after purchase.

8. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Definitely, the upgrade from the base 1.6 Ghz model to the middle 2.8 Ghz model is substantial (not just in clock speed, you are moving from a dual core laptop processor to a quad core desktop processor). The other thing I definitely recommend is upgrading the hard drive to either a Fusion Drive or Flash Storage, it will make a huge difference is now "snappy" your Mac will feel.

9. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

You might want to consider a 4K iMac for $1,199.99. Best Buy had them on sale a couple of days ago.

10. INeedHelp54 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll look into all of this, Thanks for your help, appreciate it!
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2016 ---
    Yea I'll look into this one. Thanks
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2016 ---
    Yea that's where I'm looking. What's the difference between a 4k and the other option if you could?

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I would never recommend the 21" iMac for gaming due to the integrated graphic card. You are buying a machine that can only run WOW at low end settings, and it is by no means future proof. Get a 27" with a dedicated card, even an older model.

12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

The regular iMac has Intel HD 6000 graphics while the 4K has Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics. The 4K's are a bit better.