Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
As soon as I bought my iPhone 6 I put it in an Apple case. A friend recently bought one and I was reminded how beautiful they are in the nude.

Do any of you let your iPhones live free? Is there a danger of damage to the camera every time you place it on a table? Does it too easily slip from your hand onto the floor?

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I sell all of my iPhones in like new condition. Therefore they all go in the thinnest case that I can find that still offers good drop protection. If I didn't care about the resale value I don't think I'd worry about a case as much.

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
The Apple case is very thin but very protective. The leather one is plastic with leather coating and microfiber inside for the back.

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
I had my 6 in an Apple leather case for 10 months~ and when I sold it, it was still in mint like new condition. It did take a few tumbles even onto tile floors but the case protected it just fine.

When I had a 5S I would take it out the case occasionally but as always when I did that I would drop it somehow and never again lol especially with the bar of soap design the 6/6S has.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i like the naked look, but am mindful of scratches and stuff. i use a back film and a bumper.

Reactions: chochoice

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yes you can get away with it if you are careful. I use to go caseless with my 5 and 5S but not with my 6+ or 6s+. I've been using the apple leather cases a midnight blue and product red. They both protect my phone with minimal bulk.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Do any of you let your iPhones live free?

Always. 8 years of iPhone use and not one case. Currently have a 6s+

Is there a danger of damage to the camera every time you place it on a table?

Nope. The lense is not going to scratch. The ring around it can, but just don't go sliding it across the table and make sure the surface isn't abrasive.

Does it too easily slip from your hand onto the floor?

Not for me. I'm just careful with it. I don't baby it, but i am mindful of how I hold it.[/QUOTE]

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I use them for the sole purpose of my job. I can't risk damage to my phone. My 5 I had in a Hitcase. While bulky, protection was unreal. The upside was I could pop it out at night in about 6 seconds. My 6S+ is now in a Supcase Unicorn beetle pro. It has been great in drop protection. I wish I could pop it in and out.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Went a week "caseless" with my 6s plus but just picked up the Apple leather case today. I don't like it so it's going back. There's a Spigen case for 10 on Amazon that's very minimal that I just ordered.

I'm really not too worried about the condition of my phone though since I'm on the upgrade program.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I use a Lifeproof Fre. It could be considered bulky and ugly but I like the protection. I have been tempted to use a better looking case but with everyone predicting heavy rains this winter due to El Nino I am having a hard time following through.

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
It depends. If you're like me and I hate trying to resell phones because I get impatient sometimes, then yes go free without a case but if you intend on changing often or every 2 years or so... then maybe put a case in so you can resell and retain great value without losing too much $

Reactions: chochoice

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I prefer to go naked but I used to find that even seemingly empty pockets could end up scratching phones (I had a 4S that picked up two deep scratches in its screen while in an empty pocket, still no idea how that happened) so I switched to using a pouch style case that would keep my phone safe while I wasn't using it but still let me get the phone out easily and use it as it was.

That worked fine for my 4S and 5, but then my 6S arrived and I immediately found two snags - first that camera hump on the back means it's basically designed to have a case on it in order to lay straight, and secondly it's so damn slippery! They made the thing like a bar of soap, so literally on day one of having it I'd dropped the thing caseless three times and had scratches on all four corners as a result.

So now I've given up on the pouch and have got a wallet style case that covers it entirely (the screen cover flips out the way and latches with a magnet). I don't get to the see the phone at all, but I can grip it easily, it's not going to get dropped, and it will be ok even if it is.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Once had a 6 plus, decided to go without a case for a month. Pocket had a hole (old, short pants, never had a hole but I guess it wore out) which the phone fell through my pants and hit the ground. Waist height and screen literally shattered. After that incident decided to go back to using a case.

Reactions: bchreng

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I generally resell my phone so keeping it in mint condition is very important to me. On top of that I find iphone to be extremely slippery and I'm clumsy.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Once had a 6 plus, decided to go without a case for a month. Pocket had a hole (old, short pants, never had a hole but I guess it wore out) which the phone fell through my pants and hit the ground. Waist height and screen literally shattered. After that incident decided to go back to using a case.

I shed a tear for you.:(:D

SmplyRckless

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2015
Picked up a 6s plus, had it for maybe 3 weeks & didn't against a case. This past Sunday while at work some how it fell outta my pocket on the tile floor & shattered the screen . I'm still using it until Friday, have an appointment with Apple to either get it fixed or replaced. I already bought a Apple leather case & an Otterbox defender

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
As soon as I bought my iPhone 6 I put it in an Apple case. A friend recently bought one and I was reminded how beautiful they are in the nude.

Do any of you let your iPhones live free? Is there a danger of damage to the camera every time you place it on a table? Does it too easily slip from your hand onto the floor?
I bought a skin from dBrand and a, not disappointed.

Reactions: yaboyac29

iNinja08

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Though rarely I have dropped my previous phone acouple times getting out of the car, landed/slid on concrete but the case it was in protected it enough to not feel like poo. Accidents happen even when careful and there is no chance the iPhone is going to survive unscathed if dropped in a similar fashion if unprotected.

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Though rarely I have dropped my previous phone acouple times getting out of the car, landed/slid on concrete but the case it was in protected it enough to not feel like poo. Accidents happens even when careful and there is no chance the iPhone is going to survive unscathed if dropped in a similar fashion if unprotected.

Yeah. People seem to think that a shatterproof screen would make everything alright, but I'd be mortified if my phone got scuffed up even if the screen survived. Any drop, unless onto carpet, is going to result in scuffs & dings at the very least. Who wants that??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.