Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I am really torn. I have been an avid Note user for 4 years now and feel I would really like to take advantage of what the apple watch has to offer, ergo I need an iPhone. I am in love with the rose colour (8 plus) but love to have the latest and greatest, however I am so NOT in love with that fugly notch! I hesitate to tell my hubby how much the total cost of a X plus a cell enabled apple watch would cost with apple care, hell I am flinching!! I think the forehead and chin on the iphone 8 is ridiculous in this day and age, but that notch is almost worse! The rose colour calls to me and I can get almost everything the X offers for much less.. Seriously torn!

Gonna wait a bit for reviews, and the release of the X and go from there I guess, unless logic sinks in it's fangs and tells me to go for the least expensive option, which usually ends up with buyers remorse!!

The Dougler

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I went to the Eaton Center this morning, there was a line of maybe 10-15 Walkins and similar with appointments. I had an appointment but it was for later in the day, I let them know and they checked me in and told me to wait with the walkins. I get to the front of the line and they come up and tell me that my reserved phone isn't there yet, and then I ask if I can just grab one from Walk-In stock, sure enough sold out. So I waited an hour for no reason. Now I have to wait for reserved phone to be delivered to the store at some point today.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
^That sucks. I find it hard to believe that stock is sold out. Friend of mine was at Mapleview (Burlington) and it was a ghost town. Another friend works at the store in retail and said there is an insane amount of launch day stock still available.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
^That sucks. I find it hard to believe that stock is sold out. Friend of mine was at Mapleview (Burlington) and it was a ghost town. Another friend works at the store in retail and said there is an insane amount of launch day stock still available.

I think the Apple stores will still be the most crowded today. IMO, your best bet is going to your nearest carrier store.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I went to the Eaton Center this morning, there was a line of maybe 10-15 Walkins and similar with appointments. I had an appointment but it was for later in the day, I let them know and they checked me in and told me to wait with the walkins. I get to the front of the line and they come up and tell me that my reserved phone isn't there yet, and then I ask if I can just grab one from Walk-In stock, sure enough sold out. So I waited an hour for no reason. Now I have to wait for reserved phone to be delivered to the store at some point today.
What a freken joke. They can't even manage a few walkins...

Mrjynx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Toronto

I was really tempted to go to Eaton Centre today and pick one up and already sold out? Talk about a bungled launch! they used to get 1000's of phones on launch day.. I wandered by an hour ago and the line up was 10ppl and was heading back around 11..

Oh well, guess i'll wait till next year. . .

The Dougler

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
that was for a space grey 8 256gb, it seemed like they had more 8+ as I heard people while they were checking in. I'll be heading back at some point today lol, I haven't had a phone for 2 weeks when my 6 broke, so I'm full on FOMO on a bunch of my whatsapp groups.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
So far no one else is lined up at the Telus store where I hope to get mine today. At least there a McDonald’s close so I can up the front of the store. But I’ll probably go line up after 9 or 915

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Same happened when AirPod launch
Ups hasn't delivered, have to wait a couple hours until they show up.

celly

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Calgary
I had my 8 AM pickup (iPhone 8+, SG, 256) at Chinook here in Calgary. Hardly anyone in line this year. Even Apple Store staff seemed surprised but they still came out and greeting us like they do :)

They are expecting a strong iPhone X rollout.

Had some glitches with the reservation. They had some challenges looking me up and it delayed getting my phone (about 20 minutes). No big deal.

A few observations:

(1) Space Grey is almost black. A dark charcoal reminiscent of iPhone 5.

(2) Gold is what happens when Gold + Rose Gold procreate. Funky two-tone colour. Still not my cup of tea.

(3) Silver looks good and would be my first choice if I went white. Looks almost white from the rear too. Nice looking phone.

The iOS 11 setup from old phone to new is pretty slick.

Enjoy your new toys.

Last edited:

Nic727

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Look like the iPhone 8 is not very popular. Too expensive?

Maybe we can expect a price drop?

celly

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Calgary
Look like the iPhone 8 is not very popular. Too expensive?

Not as popular since the X is coming out soon. Still a great phone. I could have waited for an X but didn't want to. I don't do 1st generation phones. Always upgrade on the "S" cycle (iPhone 8 = 7s for the most part).

Keenanryan14

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2017
Halifax Canada
Got my Space Grey 8 + in halifax this morning really love it over the 7 + the screen with turetone is great and love the glass back and the extra weight feels better in the hand. The pictures from the camera also seem a lot brighter then the 7 plus .... really happy with the 8 + just was not a fan of the X design at all and like the wider screen on 8+ and the bigger phone ... also got a Apple Watch series 3

The Dougler

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
just grabbed mine from the Eaton Centre, in and out in 10 min. The store looked busy but I asked the girl that was taking care of me and she thought it was slow lol. Seems everyone she's spoken with are waiting for the X. Def saw lots of watches going out the door.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Fido will NOT be carrying the X

as per the Fido rep:

The reason for my question is because Fido will not carry iPhone X. While we’d like nothing more than to carry all the different new iPhone models, the fact is, we make inventory decisions based on the trends we see from our customers. This year we’re focusing on iPhone models that we think will be most popular with our customers. Overall, we’ll have a great selection of iPhones in different sizes and colours.

You can also get iPhone X directly from Apple unlocked and use it with your Fido sim card, we have a great selection of BYOP plans available!​
26595EB8-8689-4069-A79D-686838A6A8FC.png

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Fido will NOT be carrying the X

as per the Fido rep:

The reason for my question is because Fido will not carry iPhone X. While we’d like nothing more than to carry all the different new iPhone models, the fact is, we make inventory decisions based on the trends we see from our customers. This year we’re focusing on iPhone models that we think will be most popular with our customers. Overall, we’ll have a great selection of iPhones in different sizes and colours.

You can also get iPhone X directly from Apple unlocked and use it with your Fido sim card, we have a great selection of BYOP plans available!​
26595EB8-8689-4069-A79D-686838A6A8FC.png

Not surprised since Rogers owns them and probably want all the IPhone X devices on the more expensive Rogers Plans.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Damn the 8 Plus is PRICEY! I picked my 256GB SG Plus this morning and it was $1332.45 all in (Alberta so I'm actually paying less than most). It's going back sealed. I'm keeping my 7 Plus. If anyone in Edmonton wants it for exact cost let me know! I got caught up in the pre-order! :)

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Damn the 8 Plus is PRICEY! I picked my 256GB SG Plus this morning and it was $1332.45 all in (Alberta so I'm actually paying less than most). It's going back sealed. I'm keeping my 7 Plus. If anyone in Edmonton wants it for exact cost let me know! I got caught up in the pre-order! :)

Lol did you order it not realizing the price?

Unfortunately it's been like that since the 6 I think. Between Plus size, higher store having price premiums, and the currency exchange, I think I've been paying ~$1300 tax in since the 6 Plus launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.