Canadian BTO Processing time?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by effedupstories, Oct 28, 2015.

1. effedupstories macrumors member

effedupstories

Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums for the past few months or so, following the rumors of a 5k iMac refresh which turned out to be true. So I excitedly ordered a BTO 5K iMac on October 20 to which I was given an estimate of 4-6 business days "to ship". So that date is passed, I know it isn't close to possible to get on the estimated delivery time of October 30 - November 3rd, which is fine - what bugs me is that it's still "in processing".

I've seen people post ordering similar builds to mine (27" 5K iMac with the i7, AMD m395x and 256 GB SSD) after I had already ordered, and theirs are either shipped or they have them. Does anyone know if it's different for Canada or something? I've already called Apple twice and they can't tell me anything. Last week they put the full amount of my order temporarily on my cc, but it's gone again now (I assume to make sure the funds were available). To say I'm eager to get it is an understatement.

Any other Canadians with Apple BTO order experience that can chime in?

Thanks in advance,

Will

2. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

I ordered mine on the 14th and its expected to arrive tomorrow. Little over two weeks for my BTO. i7, m395x and 1TB SSD.

My BTO could have easily came on Tuesday however Apple or UPS decided to take the long route for my package.

I've ordered an iPhone in the same month and to compare the delivery routes my BTO has been on the road for a couple days now while my iPhone flew straight to Ontario.

iMac
    [​IMG]

iPhone

[​IMG]

3. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

So it looks like your iMac went from processing to preparing to
    ship on the 23rd?

So 9 days if you ordered on the 14th. Tomorrow will be 9 days for me so here's to hoping. Thanks for the info. Ill be refreshing the order page tomorrow like a crazy person:)

4. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Maybe it is a Canadian thing...

I ordered on 19th...i7, 8GB, 512 SSD, 395x and it said 5-7 bus. days. That time frame has past for me and still Processing as is yours. Mine still says delivery Oct 29 - Nov 2....I doubt it!!

I've seen the exact same computer ship to people in the shipping thread that ordered days later than me....I thought Apple was more neutral than this but is it only US orders that are shipping out of California? Maybe all CDN custom builds are out of China and things are slow??

5. mfouks macrumors member

I ordered my iMac a week October 21st. It is the 27" 5K, I7, m395x, 1 TB SSD. It was shipped from California on the 28th, expected delivery Friday Oct. 30th by noon. I ordered min ram and will be upgrading. I live in Toronto.

6. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Ordered Oct 27 i7 4.0 512ssd - to Richmond B.C.

Not sure why - but I'm hoping my Mac says Assembled in USA - maybe that would help resale value down the road ;)

7. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

I checked my status today, and it says the to ship date is 1 - 2 business days now, where it always said 4 - 6 before. Im hoping it will ship today; that's the only change I've ever seen on my order.

8. arbitrage, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Mine also changed today to 1-2 days and now Nov 3-5 where it was Oct 29-Nov 2 before....

Then I read someone in the UK ordered the same config as me on the 28th and it shipped the next day....must be very different logistics for each country for the iMac unlike the iPhone.

EDIT: Just received my email from Apple about the delay...this is now two orders in a row that they've had to apologize (iPhone and now iMac)

9. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Good to know there is a chance it will ship out of California as that should make shipping times much less to me out west. Although my location is never good for shipping times unless Apple pays to fly it hear which I doubt.....

10. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

They might overnight it because they couldn't get it processed fast enough. Mine went from processing to arriving in Calgary in 24 hours.

11. OSB, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

OSB macrumors member

Just to provide another data point - I ordered the evening of Sunday Oct.25th and subsequently cancelled Monday, re-ordering through an employee-purchase program my corp offers.

This morning, Oct.29th, the order has moved from "processing" to "preparing for shipment". Delivery window of Nov.4-6 remains unchanged. Interestingly, the original Sunday order quoted a Nov.10-13 delivery. I'm curious if Order #1 was in the Shenzhen queue, whereas Order #2 is out of Cali? I won't ever know the former, but I can report back on whether the machine is coming from the States once I get a shipping notice.

Config is i7/395x/512/8 (16GB 3rd party RAM and a new 4TB external arriving today from Amazon.)

EDIT: Also if all you Canucks could do me a favour - if and when Apple sends you a sales experience survey, please bitch about the lack of a ship-to-store option for Canada. I appreciate there may be internal issues unique to Canada around this - the CAD stores are probably a distinct legal entity and they'd have to formally take custody of the merchandise and blah blah blah - but as a consumer: I don't care. It's a much more convenient option for those of us who work all day, whose partners do the same, or who don't otherwise have someone manning the doorbell at all times.

12. OSB macrumors member

...and shipped. Tracking number isn't in FedEx's db yet - but as noted above, once there I'll advise if it's coming from California. Apparently Apple's fulfillment priority system is a giant keno board and you just have to hope your numbers come up?

13. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

Well I called apple on my lunch break. Mine is definately coming from China; maybe its the ones shipping from there that are late. Im still in processing and the lady couldn't tell me more than the website, but she did upgrade my shipping to expedited at no extra charge for my trouble. I really hope it ships soon. I'm glad others are getting theirs, but it does suck to see people getting the same build as me, before me when Ive ordered in some cases, up to 5 days before them.

14. OSB macrumors member

I hear ya - I debated not posting the shipping update because it's the exact same build as yours yet ordered a full week later, and that sucks. In the end I figured you'd rather have the data point than not, at least ammunition when dealing with Support.

For the record, it's in FedEx's system now, coming from California, and set for Monday November 2nd delivery.

15. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

Mine was an i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD, 395x and it shipped from California.

16. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

Yea it makes me think it has to do with the ones shipping out of China. Im glad you got yours coming, and I still appreciate the info.

17. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

If apple dares send me an experience survey I will be bitching about a whole lot of things and for sure I'll throw in your issue as well.

I ordered the exact same as you on the 19th and it still hasn't even shipped...I'm guessing mine must be from China and that will make the delivery a week late just like my iPhone 6s+.

However, I have read on the past that customers using a employee-purchase program do get priority often so that may be why yours has moved so fast.

18. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Ha - I got an email from them today asking for a survey of my purchase experience and I only ordered 2 days ago...

Anyways - no offence to anyone else - but I hope EPP customers get priority :)

19. OSB macrumors member

I can see why they might prioritize EPP, but we're not exactly a huge corporate account for Appple - we're enterprise, like big bank enterprise, and I suspect there are regional print shops that buy more Mac stuff than we do. Of course, our actual EPP usage may wel be quite high, and that's probably what they care about these days anyhow.

20. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

I'll be doing the same with any experience survey I'm sent. If it's not shipped tomorrow, thus within the new delayed 1-2 days to ship that they gave me bright and early this morning, I'll be calling to ask to speak to a manager.

I love apple products, but this is my first experience dealing with them for service reasons, and it's definitely not a positive experience.

21. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

My BTO arrived today after 14 days exact. However I will be returning this and ordering another one unfortunately due to screen defect. Another wait... yay.

22. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

I just got off the phone with apple and learned some interesting things. The first thing is that the previous people I spoke to were wrong, the last lady I spoke to looked up the plant number for my order and was able to determine that it's coming from California. Second, they have an automated order system - when you place your order, it's basically sent through whatever algorithm they use, and you're put in queue at a plant based on where you live, parts in stock, and possibly prioritized if you order through a business or something like that.

Third, there are no apple sales reps or managers that can make contact with said plant should your order be seemingly stuck. They have no contact or way to contact any planet apparently. They can only see as far as you can under your orders screen on apples website. It's completely compartmentalized and the decisions are based purely on the software your order is put through.

Fourth, my credit card had been authorized over a week ago. The lady found that strange because that typically only happens before they ship your product. So my guess is, mine was built, was about to be shipped to me, and perhaps someone ordered the same build through a business, or someone returned a faulty one, and they took priority, and apple sent them my damn computer.

Fifth, they've upgraded me to expedited shipping for free, and took 100 dollars off my bill for the inconvenience, but if I haven't gotten a shipment notification by November 4th, it means it's not going to make the new delivery date and the only suggestion they could give me at that point, would be to cancel my order and place it again, because it probably got glitched in their system.

In conclusion, the system they use to dispatch the orders is absolutely terrible. It's basically luck of the draw, and I find it more than a little disturbing that even the managers at the call centers can't make contact with the plant processing your order to find out what's gone wrong; that your only option is to cancel your order and "try again", hoping you get in queue at a plant that actually has the parts; has the staff; and is competent.

Extremely frustrating to say the least.

23. Kappsi macrumors newbie

Both times I ordered (cancelled once to change specs), my credit card was charged right away. I called today too, since the estimated delivery date is Oct. 30th - November 3rd and it should have shipped a while ago already, the rep essentially said it's shipping from overseas (aka China) and that there's nothing they can do / nothing known about it. They said to call back if it (inevitably) misses the latest delivery date of November 3rd, but doesn't sound like they're going to upgrade my shipping or anything like that. Disappointing indeed...

Looks like the preauthorized charge disappeared within the last few days, hopefully this isn't an issue.

24. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

Overseas does not mean China. That's what made the previous sales reps I spoke to assume that it was coming from China, but if your ordering from Canada, it's still technically overseas. If you end up calling them again, get them to look up the plant that is processing your order, yours could very well be coming from California like mine. That said, I would of gladly taken China if it would have been shipped faster.

25. jgo78 macrumors 6502

I ordered my i5/512gb/395x on Oct 26th and happy to report that it's already been shipped and scheduled for delivery on Nov 2nd, not bad. I'm in Toronto, Canada as well. Ordered via EPP online, looks like it's coming from CA.