Canadian iPhone 4 Comes Unlocked from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rageguy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. rageguy macrumors member

rageguy

Guys, read here:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ

Specifically:
    When you purchase your iPhone from the Apple Online Store, you’ll get it commitment-free. So you can sign up for service with the carrier of your choice and change your carrier at any time.

This means that the iPhone 4 will be released in Canada with no contract or carrier lock. This also means that the Apple online store Canada will sell the iPhone 4 for full price (possibly 599/699 CDN) with factory unlock!

2. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

Awesome! I wish the us had factory unlocked... Hopefully I can ship one here haha

3. nutzuko macrumors newbie

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

599 canadian?? thats super cheap for factory unlocked...like $580 US

5. rageguy thread starter macrumors member

rageguy

Just speculation. The iPhone 3G and 3GS no-contract price has always been around that range. If Apple decides to increase the iPhone 4G price in Canada to $800+ CDN, then that's really a problem. It looks unlikely too.

$699/799 I may understand, but any higher seems unlikely given how the previous iPhones were priced.

6. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

The prices will likely be $699 for the 16GB iPhone 4 and $799 for the 32GB iPhone 4.
    That's what the prices were on the 16 & 32 versions of the 3GS when you bought them outright.

Should also mention - the unlocked phone will likely only be available if you pay the full price.
    If you buy it at the subsidized price from one the wireless carriers it will be locked to that carrier for the duration of the contract.

7. hohohong macrumors 6502

USA is locked to ATT right? Is there option to buy without subsidy from Apple store in USA unlocked??

If not, Wow, for the 1st time, Canada has more option that US!

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

get one from us in the UK or Italy

9. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In France, there is a law that the phone must be unlocked, for free, once there's less than 6 months left to your contract.

Before that date, the carrier may lock the phone if they wish; they have no obligation to unlock it early but they may choose to do so if they wish, and they may charge a fee for unlocking it early, if they wish.

10. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Same here in the UK.

I just went to reserve one from the Apple store and it gave me three choices; PAYG, Contract or Simfree.

11. profets macrumors 68040

Actually considering the iPad price difference from the US and Canada, and that the 3GS 8GB just showed up on apple canada at $549, I think iPhone 4 will be sold at $649/$749 - $50 more than US prices.

12. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

I live in NYC. Could I take a road trip to Canada. Go to an Apple retail store and walk out with an unlocked iPhone to use here in the US?

13. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

You might get it faster than trying to order it on Apple's servers. For $50 unlocked, that's a steal, but won't you get hit with some charges at the border?

14. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

If I have my phone in my pocket how would they know at the border unless I told them?

15. profets macrumors 68040

If you toss the box/evidence away and just pretend like its your phone then I think you wouldn't have to worry about the border.

16. nasa25 macrumors 65816

what? its actually advantageous to buy something in Canada over the US? Must be the first time in history thats ever happened.

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Good find OP. Hopefully they change the pricing to reflect the currency difference, ie. $649/$749.

I was going to buy it outright either way, and now an unlocked phone is just a bonus! :D

18. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

Since it's an unlocked phone sold without a SIM card does that mean I wouldn't need to show ID or need a Canadian local address to buy an unlocked iPhone?

19. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Doubtful. I would assume you could just go to an apple store once it's released and just buy one outright. Unless they reserve the unlocked phones to only online, where in that case you would have to have a Canadian mailing address to ship it to.

I work at Rogers, and when someone wants to buy a phone outright, we just sell it to them with really no questions. Granted, those phones aren't unlocked but still, I would assume apple to have the same sort of process when buying a phone outright.

20. Ehlun macrumors member

If I go to a carrier, sign a contact, I guess it will locked, eh?

21. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

If you are looking to get the subsidized upgrade pricing, then yes.

22. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

Unlocked! This is great!

Anyone notice the non-Canadian-style phone numbers at the end of the FAQ? On the English side, it's 0800 048 0408, and on the French side, it's 0800 046 046. They must have imported the FAQs from another country.

Edit: the English number is the same as that on the UK store and the French number is the same as that on the France store. Looks like both of those are unlocked and full price as well.

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

iPhone's sold now are unlocked to any Canadian carrier (that supports the iPhone), but as soon as you put in a Canadian sim card, it will lock the phone to that network.

This is why they force you to activate your phone in store if you're getting a genius bar replacement.

24. illutionz macrumors 65816

I highly doubt if iPhone 4 works like the current gen, they would advertise it with the following wordings on Apple Canada Store

If it will be LOCKED to one carrier after one activation, they would probably advertise it like the Apple US Store (obviously replacing AT&T with carrier of choice)

All in all, I just find it really strange that US is the only country so far that you cannot purchase a factory unlocked, SIM-free, No commitment iPhone 4. I guess I will be importing my iPhone 4 from Canada/Europe/Asia where they are selling these unlocked... Very sick of participating in the cat and mouse game with Apple and Dev Team for the past 3 years.

As with current generation iPhone, I am sure you can get a Non Commitment price for iPhone 4 fairly soon but unfortunately it will probably be LOCKED to AT&T network too which renders it useless if I travel overseas.

25. illutionz macrumors 65816

If 3GS is CAD 549, I would say the iPhone 4 16GB will be CAD 699 and 32GB will be CAD 799.

If iPhone 4 is only 50 bucks more than 3GS who the hell would get the 3GS :rolleyes: