CANADIAN iPhone Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idesign245, Jun 9, 2008.

1. idesign245 macrumors 6502

Ok... so on the Canadian apple store online, it lists Rogers and Fido as where to get your iPhone, will we not be able to purchase it through the Apple Store?

Also... anyone know if there's going to be a pre-order?

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

If the price is what I heard, 399 CDN, I will most certainly get the 16GB version, my HTC TyTn has seen better days, weeks, months. I'm thinking they will eventually update their websites to state the iPhones coming

3. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its supposed to be $299 in the States for the 16gig, I think it will be the same up here because it appears to be the same pricing for the 8gig.

4. Clipse79 macrumors regular

Pricing is supposed to be universal. Not higher than 200$ usd anywhere. I do not think Rogers/Fido has really anything to say about what Apple wants to do with their pricing.

5. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

Both Rogers & Fido's site have no hits for the search iphone...:mad:
    Steve mentionned 199$us being the max for the 8g, us/can $ is almost on par, maybe we will see a 225$ iphone. I wonder what plans will be offered though.
    Isnt Fido part of Rogers now anyway?

6. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

A friend of mine called up Fido to switch her number from Telus in anticipation of the iPhone, and the person she talked to confirmed that Fido will carry it.

Which is awesome for me, cause I'm already with Fido. Now I can keep my per second billing, awesome rate plan. Woo hoo!

7. Clipse79 macrumors regular

There are Fido/Rogers links off the apple.com/ca page for the phone....Bringing the best of the iPhone to everyone!

8. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

i guess we are getting nothing on rate plans until july 11th.

9. Clipse79 macrumors regular

$200 for the phone is a step in right direction. This is really big news....

10. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

What's the plan going to cost I'm wondering...

11. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really hope they let us buy through the Apple Store, online or b&m... I don't feel like waiting around a Rogers store. I'm wondering how I'm going to go abouts getting the iPhone, I just upgraded to an LG Shine just before Christmas so I hope I don't have to pay to upgrade again. Don't mind paying $299 for the iPhone though.

12. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I'm going to get it with Fido as I really hate Rogers. Always have, hopefully Fido will be better. Anyone that has Fido, how has your experience been with them? We switched from Rogers to Bell since Rogers was a pain in the ass.

13. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rogers owns Fido...

14. buttercup macrumors member

I went into both a Rogers wireless and the Apple Store in Vancouver today. Neither is taking any sort of pre-orders, and Rogers said they wouldn't be. However the guy in the apple store said they would definitely be getting them in the store.

That said... based on previous experience this is all very sketchy info.

15. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Or you could give it more than an hour for Rogers to get that info out there...

16. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I've been with Fido for a couple of years after being with Telus. I've never had any major issues with Fido, save for some calls from a Pakistani call centre. That issue was resolved. My fiancee has been with Fido for about 9 years, and has had no major problems.

That said, my parents had some issues switching from Rogers and still think their employees are morons. I guess it's hit and miss with them.

Regardless, per second billing is worth any hassle.

17. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

The apple us store is about $9/$100 difference. That being said, i think the 8GB iPhone will be $199 in the us, and $219 in canada. Although its still not current with our exchange, its a step in the right direction (at least we arent paying 20% like last year :S)

I cannot WAIT to buy this, i am so excited. if they have some good plans, i will definitely be on board buying this.

18. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I'm already on Fido. (Since '97!) I'm glad to see that the iPhone 3G will have 3G on the 850, 1900, and 2100-MHz bands, which means its 3G will work in most places. Add quad-band GSM, and it's good to go.

Can you use an iPhone as a 3G modem for a Mac? I was pondering getting a 3G card, but may not need to do that.

19. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

So we all know that most Rogers employees just say whatever they want when it comes to upcoming products, right? So I stopped at a Rogers store in my local mall and asked about the date, first they said it wasn't announced, then I corrected them and said Apple said July 11th, to which they responded 'Oh ok, it's public knowledge then. Yes July 11th is the goal date'
    After some chat about the plans for the release the two clerks both said, "Apple wants the phone AND the data plan to be cheap and Rogers isn't cooperating. Apple wants to make it a world-wide release but we're not sure what will happen with it here because of pricing negotiations'
    I mean, it's a month a way so I'll wait and see, if it ends up $250 and $500 then I'll be ok with it (thought I'd prefer the US pricing). I think considering things are usually more expensive in Canada in general, $250 and $500 would be ok... I guess?
    As for data and voice, realistically, anything under $100/month with unlimited data and My5 is probably the best we can hope for considering what's out there from Rogers.
    Any thoughts?

20. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Really, so by owning do you mean charging you for a service you don't have? Or charging you for long distance when it isn't? Or having pathetic customer support? Or having overpriced data plans? Or lying to you over the phone? Yeah, Rogers really owns :rolleyes:.

21. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Yeah, Rogers suck big time. Canada needs to have more wireless service providers for more competitive pricing. None of the Canadian providers really care what we think since we don't have much of a choice. They pretty much can do whatever they want - why do you think we pay more for wireless service than anywhere in the world.

I wonder if its possible to buy a phone and a plan from the States using a US PO box number for billing and buying a North America voice and data plan. It would likely still be cheaper than what the big three here are asking.

22. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

It is up on the Rogers.com site

www.rogers.com

On that flash animation, it's the #2 story. You can't click on it though.
    Just says, 'Something big is coming on July 11th" (paraphrased)

23. Clipse79 macrumors regular

I would not take anything that Rogers reps say to heart. They really have no clue. They are basically told to sell this phone and that is that. They have no idea what the data plans are, how could they? If they did it would be all over the place because people would opebn their mouths. Apple has full control over this phone. No way would be said that it would be rolled out on the 11th and then Rogers going yeah sorry we are doing our own thing. It will be here on the 11th, the data I expect to be announced in the next week to build the hype.

24. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

He means as in Rogers are the proprietors of Fido... the money you give to fido, goes into Ted Rogers' pockets.

25. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I agree completely, I was just passing on what I heard. I think most people on here no to never trust anything anyone from Rogers says. Like I said, I'll wait and see.