Can't do Wifi calling. AT&T. Apple Watch 3 LTE

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nippyjun, Sep 29, 2017.

1. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Thanks for sharing @deadworlds but can you make or receive Wi-Fi calls on your watch while connected to Wi-Fi?

Dave

2. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

So I tried what was suggested a few posts back. Turn off bluetooth on phone, make call. This worked but I noticed that it placed the call through the phone.

Disable cellular on watch, make call. Still worked , but also saw it placed through phone.

Placed phone on airplane mode, watch connected to wifi. Make call, fails.

Not sure about receiving calls because no ones home and I have no access to another phone.

3. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Same question to you, did you restore from a backup or set up as new Watch? Also did you do your own activation self-service or did you have a rep help you get it set up?

Dave

4. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I restored from backup and I set up watch my self. Im pretty well versed in technology stuff.

Currently talking to apple senior advisor to see what they say.

5. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

Let us know what they say?

6. deadworlds, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

will do, still talking to them. They are walking me through a lot of the same stuff mentioned here, even though I told them what ive already done.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2017 ---
    So ive spent about 3hrs talking to an apple senior advisor, after doing all the trouble shooting stuff mentioned here, he checked with engineering and turns out it COULD be a problem with the carriers. Said they are looking into it, but in the mean time he had me install a watch profile so they could gather logs and data to help trouble shoot the issue.

I would recommend that you guys give them a call and participate in that so they can investigate and get the issue sorted out.
    (Might be easier to do a chat instead, that’s how I did it. Lots of files to send back and forth.)

They had me perform 5 WiFi calls, each one failed. I was asked to log exact times I attempted the calls, down to the seconds along with time zone.

Eventually we dumped the logs from watch to the phone (special watch profile allows for this).
    Then synced phone with iTunes on computer, extracted the logs and sent them to Apple.

Note: also got a free watch band out of it.

Also wanted to mention,

I saw a few pages back about, on the phone, going to settings->phone->calls on other devices and making sure apple watch shows up on there. I actually found an article on the apple website that says the watch won't show up there.

"On Apple Watch, Wi-Fi Calling turns on when Calls on Other Devices is enabled."
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

7. coolio93 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue with my non-LTE series 3 watch. I've reset it, setup as new, unpaired, repaired, and it still isn't working. On my iPhone, "Wifi Calling" and "Calls on other devices" are both enabled. Used to work like a week ago so I have no idea what changed.

Also, like the above poster said, my apple watch doesn't show up under the "calls on other devices" iPhone menu.

I hope we find a fix soon....

8. greenhut macrumors member

Wifi calling is enabled on the phone, but clearly not the watch. Installed from backup. Is it worth going through the pain of setting up new?

9. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried that and it did not help.

10. Senfinger macrumors member

deadworlds thanks for your updates/edits to your thread- having many of the same issues my SA told me to return and purchase new to rule out hardware in the meantime-

11. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Im surprised your Senior Advisor told you that. Mine was very adamant that more users experiencing the problem report this to apple so they could collect data. As I said in my previous post, my SA told me that engineering was investigating Wi-Fi calling issues associated with the LTE watches. He also told me that engineering thought it was something on the carriers end but that they were not sure yet, hence the need to collect watch data form users.

Hope you can find a LTE watch in stock somewhere around you.

12. Senfinger macrumors member

Actually, I have 3 open tickets with Apple and 2 with ATT.

All three told me the issues were on their side not carrier based. (For my specific issues) and was very possible that it was hardware. They told me to return mine and reorder same day to rule out possible hardware failure vs. them potentially having a patch to fix.

I have spoke to Chris, Angelo and Misty- all Apple SA’s and they have been great. Also, at this point their known issue list on patching is just the unknown single known WiFi / LTE Switch Over- hence them telling me to return and purchase new; because they aren’t getting enough calls or problems on anything else : ( lol

13. deadworlds, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

deadworlds

Today, after some experimenting, I was able to place a wifi call on my watch. The "Wi-Fi" calling toggle is still not present in my watch APP.

I turned wifi off on phone.
    I tuned bluetooth off on phone.
    I turned cellular off on watch.

Waited for watch to switch over to wifi (Blue wifi symbol)

Went to phone app on watch, dialed my cell number.
    iPhone began to ring, showing the cell number associated with watch.

I hung up.

Then I proceeded to make a call to a 800 number. Call went through.

What I did

On watch app go to Cellular -> Tapped 'i' icon next to "T-Mobile"
    Selected "Remove Plan From Watch"
    When that is done, from the same screen, I selected "Activate Cellular"
    I went through cell activation again.

Then I tried a wifi call.

Hope this helps someone else. Im going to keep trying to make wifi calls periodically through the night to make sure its still working.

EDIT: As luck would have it, once I published this my watch stopped making wifi calls :(

14. deadworlds, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

deadworlds

Update Oct 4th:
    I have removed the cellular plan from the watch again, using the watch app on phone.
    Out of curiosity I went into the watch app -> Phone and saw that the wifi calling toggle had appear and was on. Attempting to make a wifi call on watch still failed at this point.
    I then randomly browsed the cellular setting on the watch app, i didn't change anything.
    Went back to the watch and tried once more to place a wifi call, 2 calls went through. So at this point watch has no cellular plan installed, connected to wifi and at first calls didn't work but then a few minutes late they worked. Im not sure what is going on or how this is useful but I thought I would document my findings.

Next im going to install a Cellular plan back on the watch and see what happens..

So activating the cellular took about 5 tries, kept asking for SSN and then telling me they didn't have an account under that SSN. Some times it would make it to the agreements but would freeze on last one. Finally switched to wifi on phone and I was able to active.

Once activated the Wifi Calling on watch app is gone again.

I was able to make 4 wifi calls again, and checking on my.t-mobile.com shows the 4 wifi calls I made, originating from iphone number. On 5th try I got "call failed" no more wifi calls worked. So I guess this means that there is definitely a carrier issue here.

15. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

4.01 just came out. I'm not able to install it until tonight. If any of you install it please report back if the wifi slider is present and/or if you can now make wifi calls.
    thanks

16. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Going to install now

17. Senfinger macrumors member

I'm interested as well deadworlds great notes so far ;)

18. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

WiFi calling issues still exists. On a positive note, my watch switched over to WiFi a lot faster and more smoothly than before. By the time I finished turning Bluetooth and WiFi off in the phone my watch already switched.

19. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

Try turning off wifi calling on the phone and then back on to see if that makes any difference. Thanks.

20. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Already tried that, multiple times. Nothing changed.

21. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

oh well. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

22. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

I am on EE UK and if I go to Settings-General-About on the watch it says EE WifiCall when the phone is switched off and the watch is connected to WiFi. But despite that it refuses to connect a call unless it is on the side off my house I have cellular signal!! Definitely botched implementation.

One super weird thing is When I had my phone in airplane mode and the icons for cell and Bluetooth and WiFi were definitely grey.... I had a failed watch call and the phone woke up at the same time and said system call failure. Hmmm....a bug where airplane mode actually isn’t?

23. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

My free sport loop band came in today. I got the olive color but it really looks more like a light gray, which is what I wanted anyway.

I think this is my new favorite band. Very light and comfortable. Lighter than the regular sport band and more comfortable too.

Attached Files:

24. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Sorry for the off topic, how'd you get your sport loop band free?

25. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

On the last page I made a length post about speaking to a senior advisor at Apple about the WiFi calling issue, lasted about 3 hrs. I was offered a free watch band of my choosing ($50 dollar band).

This happened Monday and I received it today.