Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Maybe it will carry a touch sensor where you don’t have to actually press it. With a touch of a button, it will function.

Personally, I think the Solid State button will look like an Apple Watch Ultra Action button. They are flushed.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-Orange-Alpine-Loop-Action-button-220907_big.jpg.large_.jpg
I bet you 100% if they go solid state, the mute switch will be solid state. That would suck. There’s something’s in life where good old tactile feel can’t be replaced. A light switch is one. Brake pedals. Keyboard keys. Come one apple. Don’t innovate just to say it’s innovation. And I highly doubt they can squeeze even more battery life since the current buttons don’t even take much space. And I don’t get the benefits. Better water protection so you can use the iPhone as a dive computer to swim to the titanic? Who here will even use it for that. Current IP rating is fine already!

BipedalOS

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2022
I’ll just wait until the iPhone 17 MegaMax Ultra Pro. I hear it’s superior to the iPhone 15 Ultra

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
“. . .you're basically out of luck because they're gone until late December.”

but you will be able to get it in late december. And the 15 will be out in October, i don’t really call that “out of luck”. In fact I ordered mine and my wife’s last week and they are set to be delivered the 27 of December. And l’m ok with that.
The minor thing will be that the installments will be out of sync, so people who upgrade every one or two years on installment plans will have to catch up before they can trade or pay off and do a regular trade

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I move a lot of files from my iPhone 13 Pro to my Mac and back and forth. Lightning is painfully slow to do that, and AirDrop is not a realistic alternative because it fails the majority of time with large files.

So you better believe the iPhone Pro getting a high speed USB-C port is worth upgrading to

View attachment 2124260
That's going to be the main point is the speed. Heck even if they someone sped up lightning, that would be cool for some. But hopefully people will research once Apple USB-C comes to make sure it isn't still 2.0 speeds

kpluck

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Sacramento
In fact, with the iPhone 14 Pro delays and rumors of some very enticing features for the high-end iPhone 15 models, you may just want to wait until September 2023 to upgrade.
Agreed. I mean there is no chance that demand and/or production problems will affect availability of iPhone 15 models.:rolleyes:

-kp

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
But I think Apple needs to stop this fragmentation before it gets too out of hand.

It already is out of hand, and under Tim Cook, it won't change.
They've hitched their wagon to mostly artificial differentiation and segmentation and charging through the nose for meager upgrade tier changes.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Can't blame apple for inflation though :/

As Android manufacturers keep prices lower with some taking the hit, it’s got to be time for some long term iPhone users to get fed up though. These phones have doubled in price over the past 8 years and saw a huge £150 increase in the last 12 months alone. If it’s going up again next year, I think it’s wise for people to assess their options. I certainly don’t need to spend £1300+ on a smartphone anymore to get what I need.

Reactions: compwiz1202

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Hoooo baby I cannot wait for this phone. USB-C is that big of a deal to get me to upgrade from my 13 Pro. We should've been on USB-C three years ago.

Well better late than never.
Out of interest, what will you be using the USB-C port for?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know we're talking about a phone that's not coming out for another 10 months, so I hope some of these rumors aren't correct. But I think Apple needs to stop this fragmentation before it gets too out of hand. The first thing SJ did when returning to Apple, was to eliminate all the superfluous products, and streamline the remaining ones. The only difference between the iPhones, should be screen and battery size. Storage options, processor, camera, etc. should be the same on all iPhones. I don't want to have to buy, what is not far from an ipad mini with phone functionality in order to get the best camera, or storage options.
It might have started that way, but SJ's computers quickly had different hardware tiers (different processors [the second colorful iBook came with two processor choices]), different optical drives [some had regular drives some had the super drive], different storage, different sizes, special editions like the DV and Dalmatian iMacG3s, etc.); not to mention up to four different iPod types sold at the same time, all of which had different storage sizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Family of five. All have iPhone 11s with ATT. We were looking to swap to T-Mobile with a new corporate discount that would save us around $30 a month. Not massive, but something. There's a free upgrade with trade for each line of up to $1000 per line available to all new lines, so we were pretty much all looking at a pro.

Realistically we haven't gotten the ball rolling; swapping carriers is always a drag. If pro models are all out of stock anyway, it might make the most sense to just wait. I've been eager to have a usb c phone and transition literally all of our electronic devices to one charging cable. We keep our phones for a few years at least, so that would be a major boon. Camera improvements would be welcome too. All the other features are just icing on the cake, frankly.

Really the only thing holding me back from waiting, aside from the monthly savings of course, is our batteries. Two of them are already under 80% and the remaining 3 are close.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You didn't ask me, but I'll respond too. Charging. Everything else we own in the house, from earbuds to laptops, to video game controllers charger with usb c. The only reason we have lightning is for our iPhones. I won't miss a cable dedicated to only our phones, of that I am sure.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
but it wouldn't make sense for the company to create a USB-C iPhone just for one region, so customers worldwide will benefit
If you live in the US, you're stuck with an eSIM-only iPhone 14 while everyone else gets the option of using a normal SIM (in addition to eSIM), so apparently Apple is indeed willing to make iPhones that have unique hardware for a specific region. 😅

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
And then next year "Waiting for the iPhone 15 Ultra? Here's why you should wait for the iPhone 16 Awesomesauce".

I always follow this advice and right when I'm about to upgrade to something, I see that people suggest waiting for the next model to come along...that's why I'm stuck on this Mac SE/30 now for the past 33 years. I hear that NEXT year will be the one to get....so I'll wait.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

A lot of data transfers. Big music files, big photos and videos, and more. It's painfully slow to do that on Lightning so USB-C will be so much better. Plus I'll only need one type of cable for everything.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
Curved, squared, midnight blue, space grey - whatever. It ends up in a case as soon as its out of the box. I know some go naked, but for me contours of the device don't matter at all.

Reactions: Agile55

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
They absolutely are from a consumer standpoint though.

At the end of the day there's nothing to suggest that Apple is going to differentiate the single port on the phone for one region (except for all the random posters on this board for some reason).

I agree it’s unlikely but I wouldn’t say there’s nothing to suggest it. They already have a US only model with component differences and they seem very obstinate about having to comply with the EU USB-C mandate.

And yes exactly, Apple removed the SIM slot to save money, not for any customer benefit. Telling me I don’t “have to deal with a SIM card” is insulting. I didn’t “have to” on the 13 either. But I do actually have a need for it.

So again I essentially agree with you, except that Apple has demonstrated that they will can and will make different models for different regions for the sole purpose of benefit to Apple, no matter how their marketing tries to spin it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.