Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmounism

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Hi Everyone. I received my MacBook Pro earlier this week and ran into the same issues, I spent 4-5 hours with Apple Support:

1- Current version of Mojave will not work on the MacBook Pro 18. You need to wait for developer Beta 4, I believe coming up next week
2- A bootable USB will not work and will not install Mojave either
3- If you delete the High Sierra volume via command-r/disk utility, you are toast for now, You will not be able to reinstall High Sierra. Why? Because the driver necessary for the MBP 2018 are not available yet via internet recovery. That should be available soon
4- There is a way to properly recover High Sierra if you deleted the volume(T2 chip uses same process as iMac pro):
1-If you have another Mac device like an iMac or MacBook, use a USB-C cable (by apple that can carry power as well). and connect it to your MacBook Pro 18 and other MacBook device. On the other Mac device, launch apple configuration. Turn on your MacBook Pro 18 and enter DFU mode. This will create an ibridge connection allowing you to push MacOS high Sierra to MBP18. The challenge with this is that only a couple people at Apple seem to know the exact key combination on the MBP18 required to initiate DFU. (DFU mode same as iPhone)
I am assuming that something within the next 1-2 weeks, internet recovery will be updated with the drivers and Mojave will be updated to support MBP18. If you can't wait, swap your laptop. After 5 hours with apple support, that's what I ended up doing. Hope this helps.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Hi Everyone. I received my MacBook Pro earlier this week and ran into the same issues, I spent 4-5 hours with Apple Support:

1- Current version of Mojave will not work on the MacBook Pro 18. You need to wait for developer Beta 4, I believe coming up next week
2- A bootable USB will not work and will not install Mojave either
3- If you delete the High Sierra volume via command-r/disk utility, you are toast for now, You will not be able to reinstall High Sierra. Why? Because the driver necessary for the MBP 2018 are not available yet via internet recovery. That should be available soon
4- There is a way to properly recover High Sierra if you deleted the volume(T2 chip uses same process as iMac pro):
1-If you have another Mac device like an iMac or MacBook, use a USB-C cable (by apple that can carry power as well). and connect it to your MacBook Pro 18 and other MacBook device. On the other Mac device, launch apple configuration. Turn on your MacBook Pro 18 and enter DFU mode. This will create an ibridge connection allowing you to push MacOS high Sierra to MBP18. The challenge with this is that only a couple people at Apple seem to know the exact key combination on the MBP18 required to initiate DFU. (DFU mode same as iPhone)
I am assuming that something within the next 1-2 weeks, internet recovery will be updated with the drivers and Mojave will be updated to support MBP18. If you can't wait, swap your laptop. After 5 hours with apple support, that's what I ended up doing. Hope this helps.

We did find the key combinaison for the DFU mode (https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.7.1/#/apd0020c3dc2) but it's the same story as the Recovery HD: Apple did not upload the firmware to restore the T2 chip...

Reactions: afir93

Mathematig

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago
Same problem here. it's not just you. Super frustrating since I returned my 2017 and grabbed a 2018. My time machine backup was on mojave and isn't supported now that I'm back in high sierra.

I created a bootable usb from my other mbp for mojave and it doesn't work from there either...

This is very frustrating, I intended to buy a 2018 MacBook Pro. But I think I can wiat a little bit

shmounism

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
This is very frustrating, I intended to buy a 2018 MacBook Pro. But I think I can wiat a little bit
I went ahead and purchased the 2018 15 inch to take advantage of the back to school discounts. Best Buy has a $150 coupon and they matched Apple's free beats after talking to the apple rep in the store. Talking to the Apple engineer who followed up with me over the weekend Beta 4 of Mojave will fix the issues, he would not confirm release dates but I am making The assumptions it would be this week.

Reactions: jacklivehere

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
If you delete the High Sierra volume via command-r/disk utility, you are toast for now, You will not be able to reinstall High Sierra. Why? Because the driver necessary for the MBP 2018 are not available yet via internet recovery.

Actually a full installer for 10.13.6 build 17G2112 is now available for the 2018 mbp as reported by installinstallmacos.py.

So this could be used to restore the system on the new macbook pros.

Downloading now. Will make bootable usb later.

GetnewHSfor2018mbp.png

I put instructions for installinstallmacos.py here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pport-for-itunes.2126709/page-7#post-26243593 and for making the bootable usb here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pport-for-itunes.2126709/page-7#post-26243153

Just note that the boot process is different for this mbp due to the T2 chip which is more restrictive on letting things like a bootable usb to work. They will still work but there is something else you need to do in order for it to work on these new machines.

If you want to boot from a bootable usb you have to enable external booting. To do this startup with command R first. Then in the menu bar choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility, enter password and click allow booting from external media.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Actually a full installer for 10.13.6 build 17G2112 is now available for the 2018 mbp as reported by installinstallmacos.py.

So this could be used to restore the system on the new macbook pros.

Downloading now. Will make bootable usb later.

View attachment 770900

I put instructions for installinstallmacos.py here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pport-for-itunes.2126709/page-7#post-26243593 and for making the bootable usb here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pport-for-itunes.2126709/page-7#post-26243153

Just note that the boot process is different for this mbp due to the T2 chip which is more restrictive on letting things like a bootable usb to work. They will still work but there is something else you need to do in order for it to work on these new machines.

If you want to boot from a bootable usb you have to enable external booting. To do this startup with command R first. Then in the menu bar choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility, enter password and click allow booting from external media.

If it's been officially released, then you should be able to use Recovery HD to reinstall

Mathematig

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago
I went ahead and purchased the 2018 15 inch to take advantage of the back to school discounts. Best Buy has a $150 coupon and they matched Apple's free beats after talking to the apple rep in the store. Talking to the Apple engineer who followed up with me over the weekend Beta 4 of Mojave will fix the issues, he would not confirm release dates but I am making The assumptions it would be this week.
Glad to hear that, I also want to use the back to school discounts. It seems Best Buy is also a good option.

vzand

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Same issue here. I tried a few ways to install Mojave but no chance. I also used student discount and I got $200 off + Free beats solo3 wireless (worth $299). I have a tax free state near my state(about 2hrs drive). I saved about $300 from there too:) I bought i9-32gb-1TB + Beats Headphones around $3500 in total. it was pretty good deal actually :)

shmounism

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Anyone else have issues with the touchbar brightness control on the 2018 MBP after this beta?
How did you install it? I created a bootable USB drive and disabled the security boot flags, I am getting the following error: an update is required to use this startup disk.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
How did you install it? I created a bootable USB drive and disabled the security boot flags, I am getting the following error: an update is required to use this startup disk.

Did you install from the download or USB?

Anyone able to install from USB?

If I was y'all, I would hold off trying to install things from a bootable USB until more info comes out about the T2 on this laptop :p

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Dev Beta 4 is available. Does it make it "Installable" for the 2018 MBP ?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I forgot but typically how long between Dev beta and PB release, assuming its coincided?

Next day right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.