Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I think Marvel is done with her. Avengers is having re-shootings and her role is going to be minuscule. When you go from the big screen to TV is not good. She is obviously an untalented person, toxic and totally forgettable. Not the first one in movie history.
Why all the brie Larson hate? Did I miss something in the news?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Why all the brie Larson hate? Did I miss something in the news?

Apparently she's pushing to put aside old Avengers because they are male, and she basically pissed people off. Or something like that. They are reshooting parts of A4 but it's unclear why; some rumors suggests that cast doesn't like that she will become the main Avengers character one day to the other, other rumors suggests that it's for technical reasons.
I guess it's a mix of both. I don't follow Hollywood and I had no idea who she was until I saw the first poster for Captain Marvel (which I will see in one or two weeks), but she doesn't strike me as a likeable person.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Apparently she's pushing to put aside old Avengers because they are male, and she basically pissed people off. Or something like that. They are reshooting parts of A4 but it's unclear why; some rumors suggests that cast doesn't like that she will become the main Avengers character one day to the other, other rumors suggests that it's for technical reasons.
I guess it's a mix of both. I don't follow Hollywood and I had no idea who she was until I saw the first poster for Captain Marvel (which I will see in one or two weeks), but she doesn't strike me as a likeable person.
Hmm ok. Well, I’m going to watch the movie sunday, so maybe I’ll look more into the controversy after that. Want to go in unbiased. Thanks for the lowdown.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
That's great...it is really in there. Well how many sources would you like?
(do you need more than what EVERYONE else has already brought up earlier?)

Oh no idea, I am not the one who asked for sources in this case :) I was just making sure that you were aware of the rule :)

(usually for this kind of discussion a general source - not opinion piece - works)

Reactions: jkcerda

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Pfft I feel like I’m in first grade in these forums but cheers. (Took care of that troll/bitter person too)

Again, replies to topics like these obviously go in the religion & politics board. Bree Larson is all about politics... o_O

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If it's like the typical series made now, I wonder if it will be more like "under covers" then "under cover".

Sex does sell but it would be nice to see a series with a strong female protagonist that does not rely on sex appeal.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The fact that she's getting hate because she said she wanted female journalists and people of color to give her interviews just shows how fragile so many males are, especially here.

Yep, basically she said the she would rather have someone interviewing her based on race and gender than qualification. That is, Larry King would not be good enough in her opinion.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
Yep, basically she said the she would rather have someone interviewing her based on race and gender than qualification. That is, Larry King would not be good enough in her opinion.

It's a press tour, not an in depth interview with a military official on what's going on in Venezuela. (I'm not saying there aren't female reporters who are good at that, just an example of where qualifications would be important). There are plenty of journalists from outfits that are women of color that have been looked over in the past, and she's still getting plenty of interviews. Have you ever listened to several of those interviews with the same star in a row? Most of those male interviewers are awkward at best and lame at worse, and ask the same question over and over again. I'd be much more likely to read an interview if the interviewer had a different perspective, and more interesting questions to ask. If you have a problem with her wanting new questions from someone else. again, it's you who's an insecure dude who has some issues, it's not her doing reverse sexism or whatever garage you're trying to sling at her.)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Most of those male interviewers are lame as ****

Probably because the subject itself is lame as **** due to the fact that the responses are canned as **** by the PR managers of the "stars". I remember a video of a very famous star, probably Brad Pitt, making the same joke in all the interviews about a movie (always pretending that it was a new joke).

and ask the same question over and over again.

And that's gender based ... how?

and more interesting questions to ask.

I'd say that in general someone like Larry King can ask much better questions than most female journalists. Or male journalists. Or black journalists. Or white journalists. It's because of experience and hard work, not because he's a white guy with suspenders. For the record, Oprah would be incredibly good too, much better than any W/B/H/A/Whatever Male/Female. Why? Experience and hard work.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
hope Apple recasts her, supporting an open sexist and possible racist like brie larson doesn't seem like a good idea.

i know her defenders will say that everything she has said/hinted at is being taken out of context but if you gender and/or race flip those "out of context" examples
if a white male said them they'd definitely get the same criticisms if not worse the only difference no one would accept the "out of context" excuse
so for the sake of consistency, i have to side with her "haters"

aside from her being a controversial person, all the acting ive seen of hers has been mediocre at best

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
The fact that she's getting hate because she said she wanted female journalists and people of color to give her interviews just shows how fragile so many males are, especially here.

Great dog whistle for the SJW ... I'm sure they have their weapons at-the-ready. If you go back to what and how she saidi it, she clearly didn't try to communicate for diversity for positive reasons. She verbally bashed men, white men specifically, because there weren't enough minorities. That's a big difference.

Plus, she was bold enough to say that CM wasn't for males/men. WTF?

How can anyone essentially be a little known, vanilla, plain Jane, actress and insult the very people that will open their wallets to support your career now and in the future? By-and-large, men are the primary consumers of all things Marvel. Females are ancillary consumers. If she had stayed silent and let her work speak for itself, then maybe people would be more open to this "girl power" movie that no one really wanted.

I hope she and other Hollywood types are using this as a very expensive learning experience.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Great dog whistle for the SJW ... I'm sure they have their weapons at-the-ready. If you go back to what and how she saidi it, she clearly didn't try to communicate for diversity for positive reasons. She verbally bashed men, white men specifically, because there weren't enough minorities. That's a big difference.

Plus, she was bold enough to say that CM wasn't for males/men. WTF?

How can anyone essentially be a little known, vanilla, plain Jane, actress and insult the very people that will open their wallets to support your career now and in the future? By-and-large, men are the primary consumers of all things Marvel. Females are ancillary consumers. If she had stayed silent and let her work speak for itself, then maybe people would be more open to this "girl power" movie that no one really wanted.

I hope she and other Hollywood types are using this as a very expensive learning experience.

Little known? She won the 2016 Academy Award for best actress for her leading role in Room. I thought she was fantastic in the United States of Tara and in Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

You may not realize it, but there are many girls who are fans of comic books, video games, Star Wars, and Marvel movies... including my daughter who is as excited as I am to see Captain Marvel. Maybe you didn’t want a Marvel movie with a female lead, but it means a lot to her and millions of other female Marvel fans.

Wanting your press tour hosts to be more diverse does not mean you hate white men. As a white male I am floored at how sensitive my kind can be!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
348B81A8-8AB5-45B2-A0AE-45F3D0F1BCD2.jpeg

White dudes are sick of the rampant discrimination. Identity politics > entertainment does not a movie make.

Of course cucks at Apple are all for it.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
View attachment 825489

White dudes are sick of the rampant discrimination. Identity politics > entertainment does not a movie make.

Of course cucks at Apple are all for it.
So you just shared a bunch of click bate cover stories. If you actually listened to what she's said, she's not against white people, (or white men) she's pointing out the movie isn't made just for, "white dudes." It's for little girls and boys who want a different role model super hero. Also, calling anyone a "cuck" basically means you get sent back to the kids table, since the adults are talking over here.

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
Little known? She won the 2016 Academy Award for best actress for her leading role in Room. I thought she was fantastic in the United States of Tara and in Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

You may not realize it, but there are many girls who are fans of comic books, video games, Star Wars, and Marvel movies... including my daughter who is as excited as I am to see Captain Marvel. Maybe you didn’t want a Marvel movie with a female lead, but it means a lot to her and millions of other female Marvel fans.

Wanting your press tour hosts to be more diverse does not mean you hate white men. As a white male I am floored at how sensitive my kind can be!

A lot to unpack here ...

1) Winning an "Academy Award" does not mean a performer or a film is well known to the non Hollywood set. Most people really don't care about Hollywood's internal accolade tv special. A lot of the comic book fans (ie MCU customer base) on the internet didn't even know who she was until she was named to the role. Do a cursory search if you don't believe me.

2)

2a. 40% of comic book readers are female. [https://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/]
2b. Since 2006, on average, 55% of video gamers are male [https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/since]
2c. Female viewership of Star Wars movies has never exceeded 33%. Yet, Disney went all in SJW with the latest trilogy and have lost billions on female focused merchandising that no one asked for or wanted. [star-wars-viewership-gender] [https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-making-strategic-mistake-with-last-jedi-toys]

3) Here's what she said
"[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial," she said.
"And for the third time, I do not hate white dudes, they are just facts, they are not my feelings," she added

There's nothing wrong with her thinking that or even communicating that opinion. However, there's a way of saying things to your customer base without coming off like a feminazi.

4) No, I didn't wake up one morning saying, "You know what would be cool? A "female-led" Marvel movie!". Know why? I don't care about gender, race, etc as long as the story is good. They could put a hermaphrodite as the lead character and I'd support the film if it had a good story. Pandering to toxic feminist propaganda while stepping on men isn't the way to win the other 60% of Marvel consumers. For decades, I've supported female-led comics, including Captain Marvel, and other female led movies ... a list too long to provide here. Put clearly, men, as the primary customer base of these products, dont want to be told they're the enemy to female-led films.

5) "As a white male I am floored at how sensitive my kind can be!" I'm not white. LOL

TL; DR

Real, hard cash, paying comic book, movie, video game fans are usually male and do NOT want to be lectured to by SJWs forcing a "Girl Power" agenda. Nor do they care about the gender, race, creed of the main characters as long as the story is compelling and the movies/games are well made.

Reactions: Anarchy99

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
A lot to unpack here ...

1) Winning an "Academy Award" does not mean a performer or a film is well known to the non Hollywood set. Most people really don't care about Hollywood's internal accolade tv special. A lot of the comic book fans (ie MCU customer base) on the internet didn't even know who she was until she was named to the role. Do a cursory search if you don't believe me.

2)

2a. 40% of comic book readers are female. [https://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/]
2b. Since 2006, on average, 55% of video gamers are male [https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/since]
2c. Female viewership of Star Wars movies has never exceeded 33%. Yet, Disney went all in SJW with the latest trilogy and have lost billions on female focused merchandising that no one asked for or wanted. [star-wars-viewership-gender] [https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-making-strategic-mistake-with-last-jedi-toys]

3) Here's what she said
"[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial," she said.
"And for the third time, I do not hate white dudes, they are just facts, they are not my feelings," she added

There's nothing wrong with her thinking that or even communicating that opinion. However, there's a way of saying things to your customer base without coming off like a feminazi.

4) No, I didn't wake up one morning saying, "You know what would be cool? A "female-led" Marvel movie!". Know why? I don't care about gender, race, etc as long as the story is good. They could put a hermaphrodite as the lead character and I'd support the film if it had a good story. Pandering to toxic feminist propaganda while stepping on men isn't the way to win the other 60% of Marvel consumers. For decades, I've supported female-led comics, including Captain Marvel, and other female led movies ... a list too long to provide here. Put clearly, men, as the primary customer base of these products, dont want to be told they're the enemy to female-led films.

5) "As a white male I am floored at how sensitive my kind can be!" I'm not white. LOL

TL; DR

Real, hard cash, paying comic book, movie, video game fans are usually male and do NOT want to be lectured to by SJWs forcing a "Girl Power" agenda. Nor do they care about the gender, race, creed of the main characters as long as the story is compelling and the movies/games are well made.
You used the term femanazi. Back to the kids table with you too. Also considering how much damn money it made this weekend, I think plenty of people wanted to see it. I saw it, loved it. It’s really well done! And if you get offended by what she said, the problem is with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.