Car Consortium That Includes Apple Announces Digital Car Key Specification for Smartphones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC), an organization that includes Apple, today announced the publication of a new Digital Key Release 1.0 specification, which is a standardized solution designed to let drivers download a digital vehicle key onto their smartphones.

Described as an organization focused on enabling seamless mobile device-to-vehicle connectivity, the CCC's new Digital Key Release specification is available to all member companies.

[​IMG]

In addition to Apple, this includes charter member companies Audi, BMW, General Motors, HYUNDAI, LG Electronics, Panasonic, Samsung, and Volkswagen, plus core members like ALPS ELECTRIC, Continental Automotive GmbH, DENSO, Gemalto, NXP, and Qualcomm Incorporated.

The new Digital Key specification, which uses NFC, was developed to create a "robust ecosystem" around interoperable digital key use cases. It will let drivers lock, unlock, start the engine, and share access to their cars using smart devices like the iPhone with reliable user authentication methods.

It is a secure system that lets vehicle manufacturers transfer a digital key implementation to a smart device using a Trusted Service Manager infrastructure that leverages NFC distance bounding and a direct link to the secure element of the device. This kind of technology has a wide range of uses, such as car sharing and car rentals, along with key-free operation.

Given the interest in the initial release, the CCC has begun work on a Digital Key 2.0 specification that will offer a standardized authentication protocol between a vehicle and a smart device, ensuring interoperability between different smart devices and vehicles. The Digital Key 2.0 specification has a target completion date of Q1 2019.

Several car manufacturers, such as Audi, already offer Digital Key services to their customers, while others, like Volkswagen, plan to implement the feature in the near future.

Article Link: Car Consortium That Includes Apple Announces Digital Car Key Specification for Smartphones

2. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

No Benz, no Porsche, thanks but Ill pass. But I am sure other customers will like it.

3. Junior117 macrumors regular

You'd think Tesla would be on top of this. But, it looks like that's not going to be the case. Welp. :/

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Dont worry about Benz, Porsche, or Tesla. I'm sure they'll come out with their own standards and before long, well have 14 competing standards.

5. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Pretty sure you can start and manage a Tesla from a phone already.

6. m4mario macrumors member

m4mario

The real benefit comes when this gets integrated into Apple watch, and it starts working as easy as Apple pay.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

Tesla missing from this list is rather circumspect considering that using a smart phone as a key is the primary means of access on their new Model 3.

8. Nozuka macrumors 68000

No worries about Porsche, since VW is part of it.

I'm just glad Apple is part of this too. Which means iPhones will likely get a proper integration, with focus on usability and security.

9. dirt_farmer macrumors regular

LOL

Steve was going to build AN ENTIRE CAR and Tim...worked with a consortium to define a specification for an app.

Hard hitting stuff. World-changing.

I predict that this will be the iPod of the 2020's.

10. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Looks useful, I figure car manufactures are going to make car models with and without the feature. Charging some hefty upgrade fee if you do want the version that has digital key.

EDIT:

Also would be nice if car manufactures allowed older cars to incorporate this new technology as they are capable of it.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I’m pretty sure Steve Jobs never had an interest in building a car.

13. fairuz, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Would be really nice if they nailed it. Major security benefits: Touch ID, giving temporary access to people, not susceptible to replay attacks like dumb IR keys. No more digging bulky keys out of my pocket (would still carry them though as backup). And once that link is established, other things like car alarm notifications can follow.

Only downside is the key is cool if you have a nice car, or even if you don't, but I guess you can have a keychain decoration for that instead.

14. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Or just a normal key will suffice - yet something else we didn't ask for yet it'll be an additional expense. If it's anything like the current crop of electronic keys how long before it's hacked?

15. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Well there aren't any standards yet, so we have hope.

16. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That would save me $100/year. I only pay for Blue Link (OnStar) so that I can unlock my car in an emergency.

17. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

The real benefit comes when this gets integrated into a car you own, and it starts working as easy as Apple pay.

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’ve been driving VWs for years now, and on some of the VW forums members have been talking about this since 2015.

Most of them are scared their GTI will get hacked lol

19. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

When did Steve tell you he was building a car? When did Apple ever say ANYTHING concrete about ANY of that?

20. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Seems like a pretty small group (1 U.S. automaker), but would be nice if they can get it done.

21. John Beans macrumors newbie

John Beans

Works great on my Tesla Model 3. No more $200 key replacements. Does require a backup (e.g. if your phone dies or is lost or stolen), in Tesla's case an NFC card you keep in your wallet.

Only drawback is that when you then drive an older car, you tend to walk away from it unlocked with the motor running. Has happened to me multiple times.

22. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

I can't wait for the day all we'll need is our cellphone when getting out of the house; no more wallet and no more keys. :)

23. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

So, let’s say you have a big night on the grog, and climb into your car to sleep it off. If you don’t have a key but gain access with your smartphone, can the police charge you with being in charge of a vehicle under the influence?

24. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Can't wait for "my phone died and since it was my keys and my wallet I'm completely screwed"