Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I bet those working within the testing facilities get the TSA treatment every day...

The engineer that lost the iPhone 4 in a bar a year ago has never been heard from since. ;)

If they are testing this phone with the carriers, then something must have changed significantly enough to call for this.However, I don't think this is the "Product Transition" that was spoken of during the last quarterly report... Apple is expecting to take some kind of earnings hit due to this reported transition.

How can one test a phone in a sealed box? :confused:

Haven't you heard about the new voice operated "assistant"? You just talk to the box and the box does what you ask it to do.

Can you hear me now?

Last edited by a moderator:

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
"High level execs" don't have better things to do than beta test cell phones? They can't trust employees to carry out the tests appropriately?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Dudes, get with it. This is the next generation iPod Touch. iPhone 4G with the same form factor as the iPhone 4 is the next iPhone. Of course there will be a lot of bitching here about how this new cool iPod Touch isn't an iPhone 4. Why boys and girls? You need room for a good sized battery for 4G!!!

Q.E.D. Sylvester!

Tanguyvd

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
hopefully not iPad 3, i just picked up my new iPad 2 Saturday :D

that would be a bit funny, knowing the iPad3 rumor has been there for some time.... but trust me on this, Apple won't be releasing iPad3 in september without having release iPhone5. And releasing both of them at the same time, don't think so

this one would be soooooo awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Given this ridiculous approach to testing I am going to call it early and suggest that the iPhone 5 is gonna be a massive lolz fail.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Bigger than the budget of the entire US, in fact: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14340470

In fact, you need reading lessons. US gov. overspends 3 times Apples cash on a monthly basis, and their budget is way bigger. Expenditures are at a whopping 3.8 trillion US (thats over 50 times the cash of Apple). Incomes are way less, a mere 2.2 trillion, but still way beyond (30 times) the cash of Apple.

Even if Apple took all their money they couldnt do jack ****. God im happy not to be an American.

p.s. I am well aware that treating "cash" as equal to "budget" is retarded, that was the lesson here.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
If they were NASA, we would have colonized space by now.

And there'd be a new Shuttle which would look totally awesome and be made out of liquid metal & curved glass ;)

Instead of the Space Programme taking a 30 year step backwards :(

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
agreed, Apple did say that there will be a "future product transition" in this quarter. What other product can they possibly launch in the next month apart from the iPhone 5?
A completely redesigned MacPro for example...

INeedAMacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
How sad. Apple is so secretive and yet with all their products lately more details get leaked to the press than for any other product from any other company.

It's not sad, even though Apple is secretive there's leaks because people want their products so much, which means they're succeeding , think about it next time.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Please let one of these carriers be Sprint, and please let Sprint NOT loose their minds like Verizon and AT&T.

This times a million. Android phones really rub me the wrong way, and I'm done with WebOS (while I think it's a great OS, the application support is severely lacking). I would never consider leaving Sprint, since they've treated me so well for the last nine years. But I definitely want my next phone to be another smart phone, and I definitely do NOT want an Android or another WebOS device.

Please, Sprint, for the love of god, do what you have to do to get the iPhone!!!!!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Won't a dummy body cause problems in testing, as opposed to using a phone without a cover?

They can perform valid and useful compatibility testing, even in these boxes.

As long as this isn't the ONLY testing being done. They obviously also need to perform real world testing which involves the final iPhone bodies, in real world usage scenarios in real world locations.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple did the same thing with iPads when prototypes were loaned out to the big publishers, remember? Sealed storage box with sign-out sheets.

Reminds me of the first iPhone, only that was even more radical. As the WSJ wrote:

"Cingular sent a team of technical personnel to Apple's offices to test the device, making it sure it would work on the carrier's network. That rigorous process is normal for the release of any phone.

But this time, technicians weren't allowed to handle or see the actual phone. Instead, they were given access to a dummy version that would only allow them to do the necessary network tests. - WSJ, Feb 17 2007"

Other articles mention how before its debut, only a handful were allowed to see both the actual hardware and UI together. Either they had the hardware and a simplistic test UI (remember that iPhone prototype on eBay years ago?), or they used the real UI running on a screen outside a sealed circuit board box.

Later in May 2007, when mass ATT field testing started, iPod-like skins were used to hide the hundreds of iPhones in technician's hands.

As others have noted, the fake covers can backfire as far as testing goes. Moreover, Apple's insistence on internal secrecy means that employees are unlikely to share experiences that might make someone realize a common problem exists. (The first iPhone had a volume problem that only became apparent during mass ATT field testing with results being shared.)

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
You mean like this?

Attachments

• 090310-prototype-03.jpg
    090310-prototype-03.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 210214-beta_425.jpg
    210214-beta_425.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 42
  • ddbb_12.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 50
  • iphone-prototype.jpg
    iphone-prototype.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 44
  • original-iphone-apple-test-equipment-prototype-hits-ebay.jpg
    original-iphone-apple-test-equipment-prototype-hits-ebay.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 53
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.