Cartoons That Should Become Live-Action Movies?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 7, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

With Avatar: The Last Airbender, which had a great second season, good first season, and mediocre final season, released as a live-action movie recently, I've been thinking about other cartoons that should become live-action movies. I was excited when Avatar was announced as being released as a movie, but apparently it didn't turn out well due to casting decisions and a poor script. I don't care about the actor's ethnicities, but the look of the characters doesn't match the show. The movie should be more mature because that's what a live-action movie of that particular show should call for. I haven't seen it yet, but I knew it was going to be bad as as soon as I saw a trailer.

Danny Phantom would make a great choice for a live-action movie. It has a good world and characters, and more could have been done with the story than was done during the show, especially with the really good world set up. It definitely has that Spider-Man-esque feel, and it could be as good as those movies in the right hands.

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

Multiply that disappointment x1000 and that's how Judge Dredd fans felt. :mad:

Thankfully they're having a second attempt at it this year. This time by the guys who did 28 Days/Weeks/[Months] Later. So my answer is Judge Dredd - again, properly. Even though it's a comic not a cartoon, sorry. :D

3. ethical macrumors 68000

Kimpossible.

Wait...how old is Kim? Only if they cast her as a super hot 20 year old.

4. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

Pole position! Anyone remember that cartoon, it was ace

5. Malsi macrumors regular

Pokemon should be made into a live action movie!!!!!! Okay, okay I kid. To be honest I think they should avoid making cartoons into live action movies. Hollywood is only pumping out crap these days (kickass is one of the exceptions) and I don't think they should ruin something that was already doing well. Just look at what Mr Shylmashmuck did to our beloved Ovatar and Ong! I would love to meet him in a dark alley one day!

6. CharlesX macrumors member

CharlesX

Animaniacs?

Hmm, no.

Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote?

Eh.

Okay, "Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran." :)

Actually, I bet they could make a pretty decent Animaniacs film in the spirit of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" with live action mixed with the animated characters. Make like a really serious live action psychiatrist, police officer, and nurse. And Mel Gibson.

7. Shyfty macrumors member

I'd be interested to see what they did with M.A.S.K.

That being said, I know it would end up being terrible, regardless of the potential.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I remember that one. I liked the theme music too. LOL not quite as exciting as i remember.

I would love for Robotech to become a live action movie.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

anything that is a series will disappoint in movie format due to the time constraints etc.

however, it would be cool to see Bleach made into live-action movies. if they don't mess with the plot, or dialogue.

10. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I think it would be a hoot to see a live-action version of The Wonder Twins from the 70s series Superfriends. It could be an over-the-top superhero comedy, with a CGI-animated Gleek. (The shadowy villains would be revealed as Wendy and Marvin, still ticked off over being replaced in their Justice League sidekick roles by the alien siblings.)

Perhaps a made-for-TV movie on Syfy?

11. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

OK you will laugh

- She-Ra , I always wanted to see a good live version of her

- Gargoyles , that was an awesome tv show , be a good movie.

12. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

How come no one mentioned THUNDERCATS?? And i remember there was a He-Man movie a LONG time ago, but a remake would be good of that one too.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Gundam 00( since out of the other Gundam series, it is the most realistic).

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Seeing The Simpsons in live action might be interesting. Sacrilege, but interesting.

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I heard somewhere that there's gonna be a Smurfs movie. I wonder how that'll work out?

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I saw the preview before Toy Story 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smurfs_(film)

looks like Jonathan Winters will be Papa Smurf and Katy Perry will voice Smurfette.

I hope its hilarious.

17. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I would like that.:D

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can't think of a single cartoon that got turned into a live-action movie that was worth a flip.

Scooby Doo? Popeye? G.I. Joe? Garfield? Marmaduke? Alvin & the Chipmunks?

The only one I can think of that was even watchable was Transformers.

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Cowboy Bebop. I'd like the Spike/Vicious story arc in live action.:cool:

If the rumors are true of Ted Logan/Neo/Klaatu playing the role of Spike, then I'll pass.:rolleyes:

I don't know about that. Ironman and X-Men were much better the Micheal Bay explosionfest. I don't even remember the plot; I just remember a lot of s*** blowing up.

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Cant believe I forgot this one :

Ghost in the Shell.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not that I'm an expert, but those were comic book series for decades prior to becoming a cartoon; and by and large, they're known for being comic series rather than cartoons.

Comic book movies have actually done pretty well by comparison.

22. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

"In the small city of Pallet town, a young hero steps into the world for the first time to find that pets are more than companions, they are weapons; he must train them to defeat an evil corporation and bring down the newest recruit, his own cousin. all while claiming the only goal worth obtaining; to catch them all..."

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hell no... that would just finish putting a cross on Pokemon.

However, taking into account this thread. I vote for either:

A. Macross
    B. Robotech

Technically both ran the same sotryline at the start, but THERE is a difference. I also go with Macross seeing as its the one with the great plot.