Case Maker Olixar Expects iPhone SE 2 to Have a Notch, But Apparent Lack of Home Button and Face ID Cast Doubts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's second-generation iPhone SE could feature an iPhone X-esque design with a notch, if a sketchy rumor is to be believed, but Face ID is unlikely.

MacRumors has obtained renders and alleged dimensions of the new iPhone SE from case maker Olixar, via online accessories store Mobile Fun, that suggest the device's notch will be approximately half as wide as the one on the iPhone X, almost certainly making it too slim to house facial recognition sensors.

[​IMG]
    Olixar's render of new iPhone SE with its screen protector

It's hard to imagine that Apple would include Face ID on the iPhone SE in the first place, without significantly raising the price. Including the feature on an iPhone that starts at just $349 would reduce Apple's gross margins and almost certainly cannibalize sales of the iPhone X at $999 and up.

Olixar's renders, which we're told were "obtained from a reliable source" in China, also suggest the new iPhone SE will feature an iPhone X-esque display that stretches nearly edge to edge, surrounded by an aluminum shell with flat sides and chamfered edges, akin to the current model and iPhone 5s.

With an alleged length of 4.7 inches and width of 2.1 inches, the new iPhone SE would be slightly smaller than the current model, remaining suitable for one-handed usage but with a larger display thanks to the fuller-screen design.

[​IMG]
    Olixar's technical drawing of new iPhone SE with alleged dimensions

The renders do not depict the bottom or back of the device, so it's unclear if there will be a headphone jack or a glass rear shell for wireless charging. As expected, the device does appear to retain physical volume buttons and a mute switch on the side, and a physical power button on the top-right corner.

The biggest question mark is how authentication would work, given the lack of a home button and the unlikeliness of Face ID. Chinese company Vivo's new X20 Plus UD became the first smartphone with an in-display fingerprint sensor early this year, but Apple seems to have elected against that approach.

Overall, this rumor is a sketchy one, but Olixar is confident enough in its Chinese sources to already be accepting pre-orders for iPhone SE 2 screen protectors on Mobile Fun, so we are sharing in the interest of discussion.

Apple hasn't truly updated the iPhone SE since it launched in March 2016, beyond doubling its available storage capacities, but rumors about an updated model have been contradictory in recent months. There are essentially two camps: one expecting a more iPhone X-like design, and another expecting a minor refresh.

Last month, for example, a video shared on Chinese social media website Sina Weibo showed what appears to be an unreleased iPhone SE with an iPhone 5s-like design, glass back, top and bottom bezels, Touch ID, and a headphone jack. However, it's quite possible the device was a knockoff, as are common in China.

If there is a new iPhone SE, a few reports and regulatory filings suggest the device could be announced by WWDC 2018 in June.

Article Link: Case Maker Olixar Expects iPhone SE 2 to Have a Notch, But Apparent Lack of Home Button and Face ID Cast Doubts

2. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

3. Datalinks macrumors regular

Datalinks

Just give us a new small iPhone. We don't care anymore!

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Surely if this is correct it won’t be cheap like the previous SE

5. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

The video of that Vivo phone was obviously sped up. o_O

6. Smartass macrumors 65816

7. hotstreaks macrumors member

the iphone 4s edge to edge would be the perfect one-handed phone

8. Morgenland, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018

Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

Olixar-iPhone-SE-2019b-Screen-Protector-800x800.jpg iphone-se-AutoCad.jpg

Why would there be a notch without Face ID? Makes no sense at all.
    I am disappointed by MacRumors, that obvious nonsense is printed. This makes MacRumors more ridiculous than interesting.

Arguing with fake foils and hastily painted "CAD pictures" is absolutely pointless, stupid and pathetic.
    [​IMG]

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

10. macsrcool1234, May 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2018

macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Good. FaceID sucks, misses way too often. It didn't even work when they demo'd it on-stage.

11. visegripmikey macrumors newbie

I can see them using the current version for FaceID. It's like the first gen Touch ID. I think the iPhone Xs will have a 2nd gen Face ID

12. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Rounded screen corners and notch?! puke.gif
    The only possibility of it replacing my current SE is if the headphone jack is retained as well as the price.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I want a small iPhone that has the same features of the current iPhone X. Apple, I will even pay for these extra features if you have the courage to ship one.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

If Apple makes the next SE as it looks in that mock-up I will buy it and I would pay a premium for it. I want the SE a form factor with edge to edge screen. That had been my dream phone for years. Apple, please, please do this.

15. pbaker103 macrumors member

maybe this phone will have the $500-550 price tag that Ming-Chi Kuo rumored and the 6.1' iPhone will start at $700.

16. TimSHB macrumors member

TimSHB

I think Apple should avoid making an SE sized phone with iPhone X features...unless they want to sell a lot of them.

17. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Let's hope they figured out how to incorporate Touch ID through the display.

18. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

For god's sake, please NO 18:9 or 21:9 ratio. One hand would not handle anything more than 16:9

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

A mostly all screen phone that's roughly the same physical size as the current SE is literally perfect to me.

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'd be fine with Apple making the SE2 as a "legacy" device w/ Touch ID, headphone jack, no wireless charging, and no 3d touch.

Honestly if Apple just went the iPad route and simply kept it 100% same just upgraded the processor by 2 generations I think most people would be pretty happy.

21. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Hmm.. undecided on this one, were this rumour to be shown accurate.

I would miss TouchID.. I definitely prefer it over FaceID.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I just don’t believe the SE will look anything like this. This is nothing more than a render. The SE was intended as an affordable entry level priced iPhone as a global iPhone, this render would totally defeat the SE price point being a global iPhone meant for countries where other smart phones are overly expensive.

23. BrentD macrumors 6502

A 6 foot iPhone would cost way more than $700...

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Why would there be a notch without Face ID? Makes no sense at all.