Cases kill the experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zord, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

A quote from the piece on Apple from 60 minutes:

Ive explained that zeroing in on a product's "emotional context" is a big part of Apple's development process—investing lots of time experimenting with materials, surfaces, textures, colors, shapes, to arrive at the right tactile experience. He showed the 10 prototypes for the iPhone 6 and 6s that had been made with their in-house machining tools, before landing on the two sizes that "felt right."

Seems a shame that we put cases on our iPhones when all this time is spent to make them feel right huh?

We kill them with plastic and blocky rubber cases.

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Well if these phones weren't so easy to break we'd all go caseless. If I had the resources ive had it'd be easy to dismiss cases.

But since the case industry is a billion dollar one I'd say I'm not the only one who feels this way

3. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Wouldn't have to if he designed it better without the stupid camera hump and slippery edges!

4. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I just like my apple leather case because it gives more grip. It feels too slippery without. Also I have sweaty hands, so it helps there too

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Yes, IMHO ergonomics are not considered at all in the design of iPhones. I am talking specifically about the handling of the phone while it is in use. Putting a case on my phone increases the ease of use substantially.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Cases might kill the experience. But not using a case can kill the phone. :D

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Don't believe everything people tell you.

Every model of the iPhone, the Htc one m7, Galaxy s6, note 5, nexus 5. All these phones have two things in common; they feel great without a case, and break if you look at them the wrong way.

A slim case and tempered glass screen protector is really all you need. I find some cases feel better than the phone itself. I use a cheap magpul case, and I love it.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I keep mine in a straight black Incipio case. I do this mostly because I like an all black phone better than the space gray I'm stuck with. It also adds a bit of weight and bulk which I like.

10. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

The best phones to hold were the old school candy bar ones. I loved holding my Nokia E50.
    But yeah, going without a case is not an option when you have kids who want to use your phone too!

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Ive speaks in marketing tongue, designed to mesmerize the easily impressed. Words hyper focused on creating an illusion of brilliance, words used to sell phones. By using expressions many Apple devotees fail to understand, they assume whatever he means must be spectacular.

The tactile experience my 6 series iPhones provide is slippery and not conducive to being easy to use. Flat slabs front and rear, a case less iPhone is very disappointing.

Conversely without a so called "World Class Designer" Motorola has created the tactile masterpiece known as the MOTO X Pure.

My MX Pure is a phone I've been able to use without a case, safely, since day one. With its compound curves, stylish modern design, it's warm and inviting, not cold and industrial like the J.Ive slab.

If Apple built products that were as superior as Apple execs think they are, the sales volume would rise even higher.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I think the case enhances the experience. It makes it easier to hold on to a dulls the reflective screen. I also don't have to worry about getting it wet. Since for some reason they refuse to make them waterproof.

13. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Agreed.

Love my iPhone 6s Plus, and I don't plan on moving on from it until the next iPhone, possibly. But the iPhone is simply a rounded metal rectangle that is thin to a the point of near detriment. Last year it bent, and s slightly thicker phone would make for a better battery life.

I agree, moto has been producing very well designed, sturdy, ergonomic phones since the original moto x.

14. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

My thought exactly OP

Those engineers spend hundreds of hours to craft and shape the phone for the users enjoyment. It's your choice to use a case but you should respect and understand the labor that goes into these things.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The pro-case crowd is strong in this thread it seems.

I'll just state that whatever words Jony Ive has used to describe the product is immaterial to me.

I use my iPhones without cases because I want to. Not because the guy who gave us flat white and the unicorn puke of multispectacular colour in iOS 7, 8 and 9 said something glorious about it.

I don't really take seriously the words of someone who gets his design inspiration for iOS from PlaySkool and Fisher Price.

16. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Never used a case. Never will. Looks like ****.

17. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I don't think people are ignorant of that fact. It's doesn't matter really though, as Apple doesn't need anyone's respect. They want see money, and we give it to them, so I'm sure they are happy with the state of things.

18. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I feel quite relaxed. Care to explain?

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's easier to see their side of it if you understand that a lot of them buy an iPhone because of iOS and with the intent to sell their phone for as much as they can get for it when they are done with it. From that perspective then, putting a case on it isn't an issue to them.

Not all people who use cases think like that, but there are enough of them that are vocal here on MR. For the rest, well…it's a matter of personal preference and/or practical reasons that I can more or less agree with.

21. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I use a case, the thinnest I can manage and still get protection.

I work in a lab. It's a lot easier than you would image to drop a phone when your wearing latex gloves all day. The case also provides a nice barrier between caustic substances and my phone. I can stick wash my case with hot water and soap if need be. I can't do that with my phone.

A case once saved my phone from a puddle of low molarity hydrochloride acid that someone had careless spilled, while PHing a solution. I realized what it was and was able tone move the phone from the case. The phone was/is fine; but the case was slightly corroded.

Like I mentioned before I use a magpul case. The impact of the case, compared to the size of the phone without the case, is very slight. But the magpul makes the phone extremely grippy, which is nice.

22. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Well maybe if apple didn't make them so slippery and fragile people wouldn't put cases on them.

Always use clear cases anyways. I'm currently using a spigen liquid crystal case.

23. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Had an Apple leather case on my 6s+. I was really not happy with the size of the phone. I removed the case after a couple of months and it was like I had a new phone. We tend to kill Jonny Ive, but thin is very good. I did order a skin for the back, which, I believe, will not diminish the nice tactile feel of the phone.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use the  black leather case on my iPhone 6 Plus purely for grip.

Ideally I'd like some kind of strips that adhere to either side of the phone to add grip.

25. JackieInCo macrumors 601

This. I have the Apple leather case on all of my iPhones. I'e had the 6+ for ten months now and have never dropped it. After using the phone with the Apple leather case, I knew I would get the same exact case for my 6S+ and 6S.

Best decision ever.